You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 8:06 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 105 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 2:46 pm 
Site Admin

Folks - we upped the goal to 5,000 letters - we're at 3,922 as I type.

This is awesome. Round One was 4,150 letters, now this? Can you hear us politicians?
We are your constituents, and we have needs!

p.s. Michele rocks. :thumbsup

Quote:
I did mention to the young guy that we would be talking on a regular basis till my child's life and others in Canada are more important than money and beer.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 2:55 pm 
Site Admin

From Beatrice Povolo of Anaphylaxis Canada:

House of Commons - statement today!

Just got a call from MP Megan Leslie’s office (she is the NDP health critic). She will be making a statement today in the House at 2:15pm regarding the delay in passing the food labelling regulations!

I spoke with her legislative assistant yesterday trying to garner some support and it looks like she is interested in supporting us on this issue.

I believe you can listen to the House live on CPAC.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 2:56 pm 
Site Admin

CPAC live feed: http://www.cpac.ca/forms/index.asp?dsp= ... =1073&hl=e

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 3:05 pm 

GO GWEN!!! :banana :bouncyblue :happydance
...and THANK YOU MP Megan Leslie’s /NDP. Is there a link we can email her at to thank her for her support?

Outgrew eggs, fish, shellfish

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 3:07 pm 
Site Admin

Just saw it - hooray for Ms. Leslie.

We have over 4,000 letters now for Round 2 of our write-in. Aiming for 5,000.

See the thermometer: http://www.allergicliving.com/petitions/food-labelling/

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 3:24 pm 

http://meganleslie.ndp.ca/contact

Contact info. for Megan Leslie. :thanksign

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 3:36 pm 

gwentheeditor wrote:
p.s. Michele rocks. :thumbsup

Quote:
I did mention to the young guy that we would be talking on a regular basis till my child's life and others in Canada are more important than money and beer.

:thanksign Don't get me wrong, I like money and beer, in fact I have a recipe for beer bread I will share in that section. It's a family favourite and quick too.

I have just e-mailed my member of parliment (Rona Ambrose) here in Spruce Grove to ask for her support and will now e-mail Megan Leslie my thanks for hers. :banana

Michele

p.s. whomever said that about this beating housework , no worries, it doesn't go away :wink:

dh-allergy cats, bugspray and guava, outgrew egg allergy

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 4:54 pm 
Site Admin

Rebroadcast at 7pm and 11pm ET / 4pm and 8pm PT http://tinyurl.com/4jgvqcs

Available the following day: http://tinyurl.com/4lmxwru

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 5:05 pm 
Site Admin

There will be a joint media conference tomorrow in Ottawa in support of the regulations:

Media Advisory

Consumer and health advocates to call on Prime Minister to
listen to people at risk of life-threatening reactions, not just
brewery industry on proposed food labelling regulations

Stalling by the federal government and last minute opposition by the powerful brewery industry
are putting important proposed changes to Canada`s food labelling laws at risk. The proposed
regulations will make it easier for millions of Canadians affected by food allergy and celiac
disease to know if there are ingredients in food or beverage products that could hurt, or worse,
kill them.

As a result of this challenge to an important government initiative in support of public health,
medical professionals, allergy groups, consumer activists and concerned Canadians are calling
on the Prime Minister to show leadership and place the public interest over that of a private
industry. They will be countering arguments in favour of an exemption to the regulations for the
brewery industry and releasing important new information in support of passing the proposed
regulations.

Who: Laurie Harada, Executive Director, Anaphylaxis Canada
Jim McCarthy, Executive Director, Canadian Celiac Association
Dr. Charles Frankish, Allergist

What: Press conference to release new information in the campaign for food labelling
regulations

Where: The Charles-Lynch Press Conference Room, Centre Block of Parliament, Ottawa

When: Wednesday, February 2nd at 10:30 am

Why: To urge the Prime Minister to approve proposed food labelling regulations and rebut
arguments in favour of an exemption for the brewery industry

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 5:12 pm 
Site Admin

Susan, our amazing moderator and advocate extraordinaire, has agreed to represent the "allergy parent's point of view". :thanksign

Susan, we will be sending you lots of good karma, and know you will do a great job.

FYI, Susan, if no one else mentions it, pls. try to work in a reference that in 2 separate rounds of a letter-writing campaign in support of these regulations.

The media would find it interesting that over 8,000 individual letters have now been sent directly to the Prime Minister and senior cabinet ministers, laying out exactly why these transparent labels are important.
(In the media, we love numbers.)

Anaphylaxis Canada sent along this note to those of us who've been working on the lobby:

We are pleased to let you know we are holding a press conference in Ottawa tomorrow at 10:30am on Parliament Hill to raise our concerns over the recent delays in passing of the food labelling regulations. [Then it mentions the media release above.]

We are pleased to have the following groups in attendance:

· Dr. Chuck Frankish- Local allergist and member of Canadian Society of Allergy & Clinical Immunology
· Laurie Harada & Marilyn Allen- Anaphylaxis Canada
· Jim McCarthy- Canadian Celiac Association
· Mireille Lafond- Quebec Celiac Association

We have also invited an ‘allergy parent’ (Susan Clemens from the Ottawa support group) and a youth member of AC’s advisory panel (Gardiner Cole) to attend and discuss their perspectives with media.

Our media advisor, Chris Holcroft, is coordinating the press conference and has received interest from media outlets.

We hope this press conference will raise significant interest with the politicians and their advisors who have also been notified about this event.

Thank you to all who are participating and everyone’s ongoing efforts to get the regulations passed.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 5:21 pm 

:thanksign :thumbsup
:huggy I am so there in spirit
Michele

dh-allergy cats, bugspray and guava, outgrew egg allergy

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 5:58 pm 
Site Admin

Yes, I'll try to work that in.

I'm going to bring a copy of the letter I wrote to the Globe and Mail (Gwen tweaked it-gosh it's wonderful to have an editor to call upon for favours like that!).

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 9:40 pm 

This is great news! I just completed an interview for a local radio station as well. It wasn't broadcast live but will be available as a podcast soon.

I also emailed Ms. Leslie. If we have found a voice in parliament then we should all contact her.

Good luck Susan at the news conference tomorrow! I will be looking forward to the coverage.
Kate

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 10:57 pm 

4,044 letters. :bouncyblue

Good luck tomorrow Susan. and thank you.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 7:55 am 

Good luck Susan, and just think, with the storm today you just might very likely become snowed into the Parliament buildings. With a captive audience you could just talk and talk and talk until they all say 'pass the freaking bill already'. :rofl :rofl

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 105 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next