You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Sat Apr 19, 2014 11:25 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 105 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 11:02 am 

BC2007 wrote:
Good luck Susan, and just think, with the storm today you just might very likely become snowed into the Parliament buildings. With a captive audience you could just talk and talk and talk until they all say 'pass the freaking bill already'. :rofl :rofl

You are too funny! Good luck, Susan, and thank you!

Carolyn

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 3:40 pm 
Site Admin

BC2007 wrote:
Good luck Susan, and just think, with the storm today you just might very likely become snowed into the Parliament buildings. With a captive audience you could just talk and talk and talk until they all say 'pass the freaking bill already'. :rofl :rofl

Oh, I could only wish! :goodidea

I debated bringing my daughter as it was a snow day. In the end I sent her to school. It was less walking and I wanted to focus on what was happening, maybe next time. They only had 7 passes for the press room so she'd have been stuck in the greenroom.

The weather was good in that all the major players were there but only a handful of reporters so the obvious questions were asked and we had time to read an open letter to the Prime Minister.

I wasn't interviewed but ironically, my husband was interviewed (about the weather) on his way home. :roll: And he didn't think to mention the clear label law issue!

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 5:11 pm 
Site Admin

Quote:

New labelling rules to protect Canadians with food allergies likely will be delayed many months after a last-ditch lobbying campaign by the beer industry sought to scale back the plans, Health Canada has confirmed.

The final regulations — requiring companies to identify ingredients and alert consumers if a food or beverage contains a known allergen, such as nuts, milk or sulphites — were set to be published this month following lengthy consultations with health and industry groups.

http://www.montrealgazette.com/health/B ... story.html

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 9:12 pm 
Site Admin

Breaking News ....

The opening on the previous story in Susan's post was based testimony the day previous from a senior official of Health Canada. He was saying that the regulations would take until the year's end if an exemption had to be made for the beer industry.

Then a mere hour later, reporter Sarah Schmidt heard back from Health Canada with the following pledge from the Health Minister. Talk about stay tuned to this one!

Health minister vows new labelling rules to protect Canadians with allergies

By Sarah Schmidt, Postmedia News February 2, 2011 7:11 PM

Health Minister Leona Aglukkaq assured health groups Wednesday that new labelling rules will be announced within weeks to protect Canadians with food allergies.

But her spokesman Tim Vail declined to say if the new rules will be watered down to exempt the beer industry.

The final regulations — requiring companies to identify ingredients and alert consumers if a food or beverage contains a known allergen, such as nuts, milk or sulphites — were set to be published as early as this week following lengthy consultations with health and industry groups.

But they were pulled to consider a last-minute request from the brewers to exempt the industry.

http://www.canada.com/health/Beer+indus ... story.html

Video titled "Food Labels": http://www.canada.com/news/videos/index ... UlbYfhwYye

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 9:40 pm 
Site Admin

So to help you follow what could be dubbed "Allergen and Gluten Label Day" in Ottawa, here's a timeline of events:

- Wed. a.m. media conference at which Anaphylaxis Canada and Cdn Celiac Assn. laid out objections to beer industry's attempt to seek an exemption to the allergen / gluten regulations and potentially jeopardize regulations that are vital to millions of Canadians living with allergies and celiac disease. (Our Susan also in attendance.
- Simultaneously, group letter to PM is released (see below), and an Angus Reid poll question showing 67 % of Canadians support passing the proposed regulations without an exemption for the beer cos.
- Stories start to be published, including one by Sarah Schmidt, saying it looks like the regs. are unlikely to pass before end of year on the strength of a senior Health Canada official's assessment on how long it would take to get stakeholder signoff again.
- Sarah Schmidt gets a call from representative of the Health Minister re-confirming her pledge to the allergy groups that the regs will pass - and promptly..

The groups' letter to the PM:

An open letter to the Prime Minister of Canada

February 2, 2011

The Right Honourable Stephen Harper
Prime Minister
Office of the Prime Minister

Re: Regulatory Project 1220 – Regulations to Enhance the Labelling of Food Allergens, Gluten Sources and Added Sulphites

Dear Prime Minister,

Two and a half years ago, your government announced plans to ensure more than 2 million Canadians with food allergies and celiac disease would finally have the right to know if the food and beverages they consume were safe. Beyond the vital public health imperative to reduce the potential for life-threatening allergic reactions, your government was instilling the principle that all members of the food and beverage industry have a responsibility to declare common allergens.

Many food products currently have ingredient labels that are inaccurate or unclear (e.g. casein means milk). Alcohol beverages have not been required to declare any potential allergens. At the time of the announcement, your then-Health Minister, Tony Clement, said "these new proposed labelling requirements will provide Canadians with the information they need to manage their own allergies".

After more than a decade of advocating for these changes, your government was the first to act on the concerns of Canadians with food allergies and celiac disease. Our organizations applauded your government’s commitment to public safety then and we are ready to recognize this historic achievement once the proposed regulations are finalized.

Our organizations remain, as we always have, willing to listen. What we are not prepared to do, Prime Minister, is let this once in a generation opportunity be put at risk because of the last minute interventions of a powerful, private, industry lobby.

The proposed regulations are the result of diligent efforts by consumer advocacy groups, medical professionals, industry representatives, policy experts within government and thousands of Canadians who offered their perspectives on various proposals. Significant taxpayer dollars have been spent on this process. Many manufacturers have already spent millions of dollars updating their product labels based on the guidance documents distributed by Health Canada in preparation for the regulatory changes. The hopes of millions of Canadians whose lives and whose children's lives depend on clear and accurate labeling have been raised.

Any major changes to the proposed regulations at this stage - after your Minister of Health committed in writing to us that final approval was imminent - would call into question the very legitimacy of the entire eighteen month public and stakeholder consultation process.

Now, a single industry - the brewery industry is seeking special treatment; treatment afforded to no other food or beverage manufacturer. This is not only unfair, it is unnecessary and it is wrong. Public safety must take precedence over private interest. Consumers with food allergies and celiac disease have a right to know whether a food or beverage contains a substance which could make them ill, or worse, kill them.

The specific argument for an exemption from the regulations for the brewery industry advanced in public reports last week - and in communications with your office - that Canadians do not need to know what is in their beer because everyone already knows, is illogical. How would Canadians know what is in their beer if the industry has never told us? It is not the responsibility of the allergic consumer to guess if there is something in their food or beverage product that may harm them; it is the responsibility of the manufacturer to disclose it! This information is important today, and given brewery industry trends to include various nuts, milk and other allergens in their products, the need will be even greater in the future.

The proposed regulations have widespread public support: a new Angus Reid Public Opinion poll reveals close to 70% of Canadians are in favour of them.

All other food and beverage manufacturers have accepted these much needed changes and many are already working on implementation. Similar labelling regulations have already been adopted in many other countries.

Prime Minister, we respect the demands on, and limitations of, government. We have always endeavored to be pragmatic in our approach and consensus-orientated in our advocacy. We remain committed to these ideals as we reach out to both you and the brewery industry.

But Prime Minister, beer companies do not make public policy - you and your government do.

We are prepared to meet with you immediately to review the facts and evidence around the issue of foodlabelling and disclosure of allergens so that these regulations can move quickly towards final approval.

Canadians with food allergies and celiac disease are counting on you to be on their side, just as whenyou promised these regulations in July, 2008.

Respectfully yours,

Letter signed by:
Dr. Stuart Carr, President, Canadian Society of Allergy and Clinical Immunology
Dr. Eric Leith, Chair, Canadian Allergy, Asthma and Immunology Foundation
Laurie Harada, Executive Director, Anaphylaxis Canada
Gwen Smith, Editor, Allergic Living Magazine
Mary Allen, CEO Allergy/Asthma Information Association
Diane Dubord, Executive Director, Association québécoise des allergies alimentaires
Jim McCarthy, Executive Director Canadian Celiac Association
Mireille Lafond, Directrice générale Fondation Québécoise de la Maladie Coeliaque

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 10:03 pm 
Site Admin

More media coverage:

Canadian Press article, should get wide pickup:
http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/life/h ... 40224.html

The Sun papers - only covered the beer angle:
http://www.torontosun.com/news/canada/2 ... 30786.html

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 11:07 pm 

Great coverage! Thanks so much to everyone involved today in Ottawa. We have such incredible people advocating on our behalf. My heart goes out to Marilyn Allen as I read her comments. She has been working so long to make these changes while dealing with her own grief. Another incredible, strong and brave woman like Sara Shannon.

We have so much at stake here. I hope that all of this pressure and media coverage will finally convince the government to act.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 1:30 am 

...and through a snow storm too! :huggy You guys are great! :thanksign from Alberta!

Michele

dh-allergy cats, bugspray and guava, outgrew egg allergy

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 8:46 am 

I found this one from Vancouver, also by Sarah Schmidt. I came to THIS forum to see if it's legit. To scared to get my hopes up.

http://www.vancouversun.com/health/Heal ... story.html

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 11:52 am 

Yesterday, I sent this to Bob Layton w/630 ched. I didn't expect it to go into the replies, but it did so I'm putting a copy here for you to see.
http://www.630ched.com/Blogs/BobLaytonsBlog/Home.aspx
Quote:
Dear Bob, This has nothing to do with what you've been writing about lately, but I would like to try to tweak your interest. My family has lived with a life-threatening egg allergy for over 16 years. Since we in Alberta don't have "Sabrina's Law" like Ontario, we would like all the help we can get keeping people with allergies and celiac diasease safe. This has been in the works for quite some time and is now being held up because apparently beer and money are worth more in Canada. Long story, but for more info and to add your name to the list go to Allergic Living's website and follow the links to let Prime Minister Harper know where you stand. Thanking you for your time and editorials. I listen to you every day. Michele Ford Advocate for Anaphylaxis Awareness in Alberta Schools
Posted By Michele Ford On 2/2/2011 11:06:15 AM
Sorry, forgot to send my eye-catching headline - Food Regulations stalled in Ottawa because of Beer!
Posted By Michele Ford On 2/2/2011 11:11:53 AM

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 8:27 am 
Site Admin

Nice article!
Some industries see label changes as good for business! :banana
Quote:
Derek Nighbor, spokesman for the private-sector group Food and Consumer Products of Canada, said the organization is happy to move ahead with the new regulations.

"We are supportive of where the government is going in this area," Nighbor said. "This is... about respecting food safety."

http://www.ctv.ca/CTVNews/Canada/201102 ... es-110203/

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 11:47 am 

http://www.examiner.com/allergy-in-gran ... eck-it-out
Quote:
Hop Cat serves many specialty beers with "out of the ordinary" ingredients that can be fun to try, but a hazard for food allergy sufferers. In fact, the owner, Michelle Sellers, stated that they have served some beers that contained peanuts. She named "Short's" as one of the brands that they have served with peanut products.

Michele

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 3:39 pm 
Site Admin

From our NewsReport newsletter released Friday:

The lobby to get clearly stated allergy and gluten labels on consumable products in Canada has turned from a story of endless delay into one of a battle royale. As food allergy and celiac communities press hard to get the vital allergen and gluten regulations into law, a foe has emerged.
Three weeks ago, the Brewers Association of Canada launched a national campaign, decrying the regulations as costly and seeking an exemption. Their spokesman's line? "Everyone" knows that beer contains barley.
On Feb. 2, allergy and celiac groups arrived on Parliament Hill to forcefully counter that millions with allergies and celiac disease must be able to tell from ingredient labels exactly what they're eating or drinking. Otherwise, they risk illness, hospitalization or even death. No exception for beer, they said, though beer is the least of it.
The clock is ticking. The regulations, promised in July 2008, have been reviewed and ready for a year. There is a real risk that further delay could permanently shelve the regulations. If a spring election is called, that may send the process back to square one.
The question is: will the Harper government back the health of millions now, or bow to one noisy latecomer?

Full NewsReport: http://allergicliving.com/newsreport/2011-02.html

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 3:47 pm 
Site Admin

My related blog post: No Regs for the Weary ...

Like the guest who finally turns up for dinner just as you’re clearing the dessert plates, Canada’s breweries last month showed up to bellyache about the proposed gluten and allergen labeling regulations.

What’s amazing is that Health Canada and the Prime Minister’s Office didn’t just send this nervy latecomer home with a foil swan.

Rest is here: http://allergicliving.com/index.php/201 ... the-weary/

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2011 8:40 am 

This entire labeling situation and beer industry situation leaves me angry but mostly disappointed. Disappointed in Canada. How many letters and petitions do we need to sign for the government to act. I mean, what about groups with a cause who don't have so many people behind them. Are they brushed under the carpet before they even make it to letter writing.
As for our issue, we are not asking for more (top) allergen safe foods. We are not asking for companies to change how they make their food or to alter what they process in their plants or on certain lines. ALL we are asking is for a label telling us what is in the foods we eat. It really is a very reasonable request.

What kind of process do we have in Canada when such a large group of people are ignored after years of continually having signed endless letters/petitions, call endless offices. It is disturbing on a level even more than the labeling law, as a Canadian it is the first time in my life I feel like a second rate citizen. The govt. seems to listen just enough , like a pat on the head, so we don't make too much of a fuss, yet they still seem to have no intention to act. And since when do we listen to beer companies v/s health issues???? I get big business has more influence than I'll ever fully grasp but really, we are openly in parliament going to talk about glass beer bottles over thousands of lives???? The fact that this industry was even allowed to interveen this late in the game -about something so frivolous - is even more disturbing to me.

What ISthe problem here? Besides the beer industry is there something I'm missing? Have more companies complained? It doesn't seem like this should be sooooooo difficult of an issue to grasp. Better labels will save lives, with make life easier, will allow us our basic rights of knowing what is in the food we eat.
If we read about big business coming before safety in other countries we'd shake our head and say, not in Canada. If we start to go down this road what is next, where does our government draw the line?

I don't get it!!! All I have left to say is a sad and confused oooooooohhhhhhhhh Canada!!!!!

Outgrew eggs, fish, shellfish

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 105 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next