Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 6:47 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Food in lesson plans...
PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 9:56 am 
Site Admin

My husband got a call from the teacher yesterday-she wants to have a class lesson on adaptation and would like the class to use tweesers and clothes pegs to pick up grains of rice, cooked spaghetti noodles, chocolate chips and gummy worms. Our daughter is the only one in the class with a food allergy so she was asking for input. Unfortunately, she got him while he was sleeping (shift work) so he just agreed with her and said he'd purchase the ingredients. :roll:

I've spoken to him about simply telling her that we'd get back to her, and he agrees that that is the best plan, but in the heat of the moment he always agrees with her.

I can send rice, safe noodles and safe chocolate chips. There aren't any gummy worms that dd can have. I thought briefly about sending in some gummy worm candies-the risk of reaction is low and they aren't supposed to eat them...but it just isn't fair and she shouldn't have to handle her allergens. In the end, we purchased some stretchy rubber bugs from a dollar store and sent them in. My husband and I are going to assume those are the type she meant as she didn't use the word "candy" in the note. :popcorn

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 10:02 am 

I have to say it again. Why couldn't the lesson in adaption be using tweezers and clothes pegs to pick up paper clips, toothpicks, tiny rocks or tiny blocks (the schools usually have bins of them used in math class). Why does adaption have to mean picking up food????
Totally off the allergy topic regarding food but can you imagine how many countries would love to eat all the food we waste in class projects which was never intended to be eaten but just played with and then thrown away.

Outgrew eggs, fish, shellfish

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 10:49 am 
Site Admin

Dh called me about this and I was at Value Village (50% off sale). I could easily have picked up a bag of beads for next to nothing... :roll:
Buy it once and use year after year!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 5:17 pm 

I'm so sick of food at school issues. Certainly they could pick up something else. You handled it very well! :)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 7:23 am 

It is ironic to me that in high school there are few restrictions regarding allergens yet it is less of a hassle because food is rarely served in class and has not yet been used for lessons. In 8th grade it seemed like food was served constantly.

Although it does seem odd to use food, kudos to the teacher for checking with you.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 12:01 pm 

I can't remember what grade (7 maybe) it was that DD's class did the 'drop the egg without breaking it' thing. Science class - building something to protect the egg??? not sure. anyhow, it was all very stressfull for her.

Michele

dh-allergy cats, bugspray and guava, outgrew egg allergy

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 9:32 pm 

We started off saying 'yes' and providing class substitues for a number of 'food' activites in class...how ever it got so ridiculous it was unbelievable. Teachers can be 'creative' and make learning 'fun' without using food ( the last straw for us was when peanut butter was placed in a plastic bag that was passed around the classroom to demonstrate texture and matter- :banghead :banghead :banghead :banghead -we had previously said 'no' to a couple of food activities so they by passed us on that one)-some-one got into BIG trouble over that one.
my son was advised to not touch it :verymad
So....if you can-nip it in the bud-suggest alternatives (my suggestion was that i could provide some out of date heart tablets-bright/colorful-no harm to any child as they weren't going to eat them-I did comment that I was sure they would have trouble convincing all the parents that it was a safe activity-even if they stressed that they were NOT going to eat them). Any way I did suggest some sensible options as well that they did eventually go with.
Food for us is for eating only.
cheers

j-avoids peanut, sunflower, pineapple all ana-sensitised to maccadaemia.pecan.Passed barley (previous ana) last year...out grew egg ana and peanut at 3 years..became re sensitised with ana at 6 years to peanut.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 8:28 am 

Quote:
peanut butter was placed in a plastic bag that was passed around the classroom to demonstrate texture and matter
:frightened

I agree Caz, food is for eating. I don't remember ever doing food crafts growing up or using food in science experiments. DD's old school constantly used food for school activities/experiments.

:dungetit If school boards are so strapped for cash (and as they promote 'green' living) why not use re-usable items such as beads, blocks, etc.???????

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 12:29 pm 
Site Admin

Caz
Quote:
(my suggestion was that i could provide some out of date heart tablets-bright/colorful-no harm to any child as they weren't going to eat them-I did comment that I was sure they would have trouble convincing all the parents that it was a safe activity-even if they stressed that they were NOT going to eat them).
:rofl I love this! may I borrow it?

BC2007
Quote:
If school boards are so strapped for cash (and as they promote 'green' living) why not use re-usable items such as beads, blocks, etc.???????
:thumbsup My thoughts exactly.

In my day it was buttons, tiddly winks, straws and beads. The closest we got to food was that horrible paste they put in babyfood jars...one kid in the class would always try to eat it! :roll:

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 6:27 am 

_Susan_ wrote:
Caz
Quote:
(my suggestion was that i could provide some out of date heart tablets-bright/colorful-no harm to any child as they weren't going to eat them-I did comment that I was sure they would have trouble convincing all the parents that it was a safe activity-even if they stressed that they were NOT going to eat them).
:rofl I love this! may I borrow it?

Yes quote away! I find it amazing that some teachers think its ok for my severely allergic kid to be exposed to something 'because he wont be eating it' but they would NEVER dream of putting the whole class in a similar situation.

j-avoids peanut, sunflower, pineapple all ana-sensitised to maccadaemia.pecan.Passed barley (previous ana) last year...out grew egg ana and peanut at 3 years..became re sensitised with ana at 6 years to peanut.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 7:34 am 

I think we need to approach food in lesson plans from a political and an allergy perspective, that might get the schools attention. I read this in today's news regarding Egypt and soaring food prices. Add up all the countries in the world who would do anything for a cup of rice or a loaf of bread and it seems even more wrong to be playing with food. Ah, who ever thought I'd sound just like my mother.

Quote:
"The new figures clearly show that the upward pressure on world food prices is not abating," said FAO economist Abdolreza Abbassian. "These high prices are likely to persist in the months to come. High food prices are of major concern especially for low-income food deficit countries that may face problems in financing food imports and for poor households which spend a large share of their income on food."

Read more: http://www.canada.com/news/Rain+Saskatc ... z1Dk9GPHXy

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 7:53 am 
Site Admin

Good point! :thumbsup