Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Mon Apr 21, 2014 3:21 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 12:50 pm 
Site Admin

New foods, when and how.

Regarding explaining allerges to him. I suggest that for now, you explain them the same way you explain don't touch the stove etc.

Check out your local library (many offer online searching) for allergy books for toddlers. There are several. Read these with him, play kitchen, restaurant and you be the person with allergies. You can use the phrases you want him to learn and he can express his worries. Dd and I used to do this at bathtime. I would be the one with a tuna fish allergy and ask if the cookies had any tuna fish in them (that seemed funny to her). She would say "Nooo." all innocent like. :roll: After I'd eaten them, she'd say, "I lied. They do have tuna fish in them!".

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2011 8:18 pm 

My son went into shock 4 days before his first birthday when I tried a new rice cereal with him. In my heart, I know that he has been allergic to many things since birth. We had a terrible time breast-feeding, he had difficulty with cow's milk and then soy formulas (projectile vomiting for hours). We had been on Nutramigen for many months before the incident and the doctor had been encourging me to ween him back onto cow's milk. After testing, we now know that he is severely allergic to milk, soy, wheat, egg, peanuts and tree-nuts. We haven't tested for corn, sesame, suphites or seafood. Feeling quite anxious, stressed and wondering how we will all find a good measure of happiness again. This news has put a great strain on my relationship with my husband and family (who think I'm being overly cautious in avoiding these foods in my home and in social gatherings...one of his cousins merely kissed him on Christmas Eve and he was covered in hives, scratching and shrieking in pain/discomfort)...feeling so alone

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2011 8:59 pm 

TIFFrench: I found it was really difficult at first and was depressed for weeks, would start crying, and had a lot of fear about how we would manage to keep him healthy and safe.

The toddler years are difficult. Everyone has told me that things get easier for parents beyond the toddler years. As well, the odds are that most babies/toddlers outgrow wheat, milk and egg allergies.

Things got better for me with the passage of time; also by having my husband with me at the allergist's (she had us practice the Epipen, which really brought the seriousness of it all home) and by attending a local Anaphylaxis Canada meeting with other parents. I've found the people on the allergic living forum to be of great help as well.

Anaphylactic allergies are serious and with a toddler, you do have to be very careful. It's difficult not to look like a "helicopter parent" but I'm sorry, one DOES have to hover when a 1 -year old who is ana. to wheat attends a birthday party with a bunch of kids dropping pizza slices everywhere.

Other moms of kids with severe allergies get it, but most other people don't and some never will. It's important not to let this isolate you and your child. What's worked for me is to reach out to friends and family who do understand as well as anaphylaxis groups.

I wish you the best. It gets easier!!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 7:45 am 
Site Admin

TIFFrench-Sorry to hear about all of the alergies, what are you feeding your son now?
Here's a thread of a mother going through a similar experience.
viewtopic.php?f=15&t=5453

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 10:57 am 

Susan: thanks for sharing the thread. In all of this, I see a theme being our stress about other people's denial about the allergies.

"Remove the allergen" sometimes applies to people, unfortunately! You can cope with it by trying to educate, but there are cases where you may simply have to drop someone of your life. In my case it was the woman who tried to give my ana. toddler pizza when she knew about his wheat allergy and then rolled her eyes when I got upset. I TOTALLY don't get her craziness -- and with a small child, any friend or family member who acts like that is a hazard.

But denial can change, too. My DH is ana. to peanuts but for YEARS had let his epipen expire. It used to drive me nuts (no pun intended). He just didn't want to think about/remember his experiences with peanut allergy. When DS got diagnosed and got his epi, it kind of woke DH up to his own safety and he went to his GP for a epipen renewal. We carry them and are aware of the reality, but it's not like it consumes our lives. We're just prepared.

Re the heartache only a mother can understand: I went to a therapist when he was diagnosed. She understood. It was very useful.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 3:29 pm 

I know this is a older thread, but I wanted through my two cents in just incase you're still worried. Like others in this thread my DS was diagnosed with Wheat, Cows Milk, egg white, peanuts and pork allergies. This was done through blood work because he at the time was only 6 months old. It gave me some relief to know his eczema was caused from the wheat, but what was scary was the hives he got all over his face and neck from cows milk. I didn't realize it at first but we were so lucky, I didn't understand that his coughing was because he couldn't breath well, but once I took him for testing things cleared up a lot and we ~knock on wood~ haven't had any problems since.

At first it was tough. I panicked and took all foods away from him. I bought his breads from a online store that sold only wheat free gluten free products and he ate a lot of chicken with mashed potatoes and chicken bouillon for flavor. Once he finally outgrew his wheat allergy the world opened up to me. Then I realized there was so much I could give him even before when his wheat was giving him problems. I even have a recipe for chocolate cake that is wheat, cows milk and egg free! Of course you have to buy the wheat free flour, but the possibilities are out there, you just have to find them!

Unfortunately, as the allergist predicted his soy allergy is starting to get up there with his cows milk allergy so I may have to substitute soy milk with something else, but i don't think it will slow us down one bit! He LOVES pizza, cake, ice cream and yogurt just like every other kid! The biggest difference is I have to be prepared in advanced whenever we go anywhere.