You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Fri Apr 18, 2014 9:40 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 2:04 pm 

I stayed at preschool today to distribute cards, and to sort through my guys bags and remove questionable treats (lollypops, wrapped choc hearts..) to my shock and dismay there was a REESES PEANUT BUTTER HEART in one of the bags. After I restarted my heart, I took it to the teacher and she sighed, but said 'the kids take them home, and it's only your boys who can't have any'. The preschool is suppose to be peanut/tree nut free, there are reminders in all newsletters and snack calendars.

:banghead :banghead :banghead :banghead :banghead :banghead

Last edited by Becky on Tue Feb 15, 2011 5:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Valentines Day :(
PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 2:38 pm 

It's very frustrating that parents "forget" on special occasions to NOT send allergen containing treats. Every year (my son is now in grade 3), Christmas, Halloween, Valentines Day, Easter, and sometimes on birthdays, children arrive at school with their special :frightened treats to share. I now know that as much as the school tries to enforce this, it KEEPS HAPPENING! My son went to a small Montessori school, and now a large (750 students) public school, and as much as they are allergy aware, these special days brought out the "special" :frightened treats at both schools! The treats get put in bags to bring home, and I'm always shocked by the taboo treats that have made it into the bag! This morning, in preparation for what I now know is unavoidable, I sent my son with 2 heart shaped choc. chip cookies (the school is selling cookies for $1.50, which I know are p/n free, but not EGG-free, which means they are still not safe for my son), as well as 3 small safe chocolates in case the other kids have treats. I reminded my son that under no circumstances is he to eat any treats that someone gives him. He said "What if I know they are safe?" and I said "No, bring them home for me to check". Both his schools repeatedly remind parents to NOT send treats, but they come in anyway!!! Thankfully, it is only, usually, these big occasions, so we can plan for them, but it still drives me crazy. Doesn't "no food" mean NO FOOD??

12 yr old son: allergic to peanuts, tree nuts, eggs, fish, sesame, sunflower, mustard, poppy seeds, green peas, some fruits, instructed to avoid all other legumes (except soy & green beans), pollen, cats, horses

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 5:34 pm 

You would think so. If there is a no food rule, then food sent in should be sent home. But of course, teachers etc are too worried about offending the kid/parents who brought in surprise cupcakes. Sending them home a few times would take care of it...

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 7:41 am 
Site Admin

A simple reminder can be sent out to all students by the principal. That way no teacher is made to feel torn between protecting her students, running her classroom or ofending any parents.
Our school offers a voicemail system where messages can be delivered to all homes in the evening. This is used for all sorts of messages and is really handy.

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 1:31 pm 

Is there any policy in preschools? If yes, would that be regulated and how? Does it differ from province to province? like education? or is it looked after by federal?

dh-allergy cats, bugspray and guava, outgrew egg allergy

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 11:00 am 

The tough part for the teachers is that likely don't have the time to check every treat as it comes in the door. They can remind people all they want but they won't necessarily listen.

Would you be able to talk with the actual students? When young, my kids were the ones that sometimes reminded me of someone's allergen.

For us, this is our life. But not for those other parents. And if they have multiple children who have different forbidden allergens I can see them not remembering. You would think peanuts in a peanut-free facility would be obvious but maybe little Johnny had to have them and mommy just couldn't say no :evil: I predict that one day Johnny will need an accommodation at school and his mom will be the most vocal demanding his rights.

My daughter accidentally took peanut butter in her lunch :oops: It was the wrong sandwich container (the rest of us can take PB in our lunches) but thankfully she realized it right away and put it away.

Ours was a mistake but I've seen kids eat a nut/peanut sandwich right next to a student with allergies and they are oblivious. It's EDUCATION and why they don't get it is beyond me.

Last edited by walooet on Sun Mar 06, 2011 12:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2011 11:37 am 
Site Admin

walooet wrote:
The tough part for the teachers is that likely don't have the time to check every treat as it comes in the door. They can remind people all they want but they won't necessarily listen.

The only solution that I can see is to not allow anything to be brought in. It has morphed into a commercial/popularity contest anyway. Have the students create cards and decoarations during classtime. Research, plan, organize, follow instructions, cut & paste etc. Teaching our children how to meet their needs/wants through a creative and constructive process willbe of more benefit to them that relying on their parents to through money at an issue to bail them out. Resilience!

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb