You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Tue Jul 29, 2014 2:43 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 105 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2011 10:59 am 
Site Admin

BC2007-I too find it truly amazing! I am stunned and amazed as well that with the changes to the Canadian Consumer Product Safety Act, we will be safe for consumer products ranging from apple peelers to towels to zipper pulls...everything except beer?
Quote:
The Canada Consumer Product Safety Act (CCPSA), is new legislation that will help keep Canadian families safe from consumer products that pose an unreasonable danger.

Consumers and parents want to be confident that the products they buy will be safe for them and their children. Some have estimated that approximately one-third of Canadians have, at least once, bought products and found out they were unsafe. The Government of Canada has passed Bill C-36, the Canada Consumer Product Safety Act to help keep Canadians safe from these types of hazardous consumer products. Once the Act comes into force, it will replace Part I of the Hazardous Products Act.

This legislation will modernize and strengthen a 40-year-old product safety law. Among other things, the legislation:

introduces safety obligations for consumer products;
    requires industry to notify Health Canada of serious incidents or defects; and
    provides for quick and efficient corrective action when a dangerous product is discovered, including the ability to recall unreasonably dangerous consumer products.
http://www.hc-sc.gc.ca/cps-spc/legislation/acts-lois/ccpsa-lcspc/index-eng.php

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2011 5:19 pm 
Site Admin

I hear ya.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 1:16 pm 
Site Admin

BREAKING NEWS ...

It's official. At a press conference this a.m., Health Minister Leona Aglukkaq announced that the food/gluten allergen label regulations are being passed today.

A big hooray and sigh of relief for that.

But boo for the fact that the gov't did choose to cave into the beer makers. Beer gets an exemption, no ingredients listings. So buyer beware with specialty ingredients like mystery chocolate, etc.

Read Sarah Schmidt of Canada.com's excellent report here: http://bit.ly/dPjUtQ

Guys, regardless, pat yourselves on the back. You've played a big, big part in getting these regulations passed at all. If it hadn't been for all the pressure through the community's letters (both our write-in campaign and the letters from Anaphylaxis Canada and the CCA), these regulations would have been left to expire on a shelf. Special thanks to those who called the PM's office, the Health Minister's Office, your MPs. You people are amazing, democracy in action.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 2:07 pm 

:happydance Wonderful. It is almost like an exhausting victory, I'm sure Gwen you and Laurie Harada and a few others will finally relax tonight with a well earned bottle of wine. I have no comment on the beer industry, I choose to celebrate all our achievement and ignore the ...............................

I had emailed Megan Leslie thanking her for the support she's shown the allergic community. She sent me a lovely reply. Not all politicians are made equally (thank goodness :D ).

Outgrew eggs, fish, shellfish

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 3:12 pm 

:happydance
Here's a story from ctv calgary http://calgary.ctv.ca/servlet/an/local/ ... algaryHome
interesting comments

dh-allergy cats, bugspray and guava, outgrew egg allergy

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 3:21 pm 
Site Admin

News Release from Anaphylaxis Canada

Statement from Anaphylaxis Canada in response to Minister of Health’s announcement on food labelling

After two decades of tireless advocacy by thousands of Canadians, our organization is very pleased to see the passage of important new regulations that will make food ingredient labels easier to understand. However, we are very disappointed by the federal government’s decision to alter the regulations as proposed and provide a special exemption to the brewery industry.

Anaphylaxis Canada is proud to stand with the national medical body for allergy, other patient groups and close to 70% of Canadians who recognize a fundamental principle: all Canadians have a right to know if there is an ingredient in their food or beverages that can harm them.

For the millions of Canadians with food allergies or celiac disease, this knowledge can be the difference between life and death.

The political decision to deviate from this principle by allowing a last minute exemption for the brewery industry – against the advice of medical experts, consumer and health advocates and the government’s own departmental advisors – defies logic and raises serious questions about the credibility of its public consultation process.

The federal government can still demonstrate that it is serious about protecting public health by quickly convening a meeting with the brewery industry, patient groups and medical and health policy experts to resolve this outstanding issue.

Our organization will continue to advocate for clear and fair labelling rules for the brewery industry and will advise our members to call individual beer companies for ingredient information should they have questions before purchasing a product. And we encourage all Canadians to learn more about what is in their beer products by visiting www.whatsinyourbeer.ca.

We thank those Members of Parliament who have been vocal in their support of this issue, Health Canada staff for their professionalism, other industry groups that consulted in good faith and are prepared to abide by the new regulations and our community partners for their efforts in this campaign. Finally, we thank the countless Canadians, some of whom have overcome personal tragedy to be leaders in this effort, for supporting clear and fair food and beverage labelling rules.

-30-

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 4:55 pm 
Site Admin

Globe & Mail article - also getting significance of beer exemption:

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/pol ... le1906173/

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 9:39 pm 
Site Admin

CTV video - see Laurie Harada of Anaphylaxis Canada and Janet Dalziel of CCA:

Scroll down on right menu to Power Play

http://www.ctv.ca/CTVNews/TopStories/20 ... nt-110214/

Janet's line is beautiful: "We're celebrating today with modified rapture".

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 10:38 pm 

Wonderful news! I am so happy that the majority of the regulations have passed. Thank you to everyone who has contributed to this campaign. These changes will have a significant impact on our daily lives.

It is frustrating that everything didn't pass and that those in the media don't get the fact that more effort and money will have to be spent now working on getting beer clearly labelled as well.

I received a personal note from Megan Leslie as well. After all of the letters and calls I have made this fall and winter, she is the only on who has written a personal response. Very impressed.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 10:01 am 

alberta advocate wrote:
:happydance
Here's a story from ctv calgary http://calgary.ctv.ca/servlet/an/local/ ... algaryHome
interesting comments

The stupidity of some people never ceases to amaze me. (Some of those comments are ridiculous. laughable if it weren't about something that can save lives.)

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 7:22 pm 

I clicked on the link Gwen gave for What's in your beer.

Here's the run down from the survey. Even I was surprised!

Quote:
We Canadians generally consider ourselves to be knowledgeable about, one of our favourite products, beer. Think again.

Peanuts, nuts and other food allergens are being used as ingredients in beer. Some examples include peanut ale, almond stout and pecan beer.

Fish ingredients, such as isinglass, can be used as fining agents (used to improve clarity in the beer). However, currently it is not required to be labelled on standard beer products.

Based on the information provided by the Canadian Food and Drug Regulations caramel (milk) can be used in standard beer products. However, currently there is no requirement for beer companies to label the ingredients that can be found in caramel such as milk or gluten.

There is currently no requirement for beer companies to declare any ingredients of their standard beer products.
The Canadian Food and Drug Regulations (C.R.C., c. 870, Division Two, Alcoholic Beverages, B.02.130. [S]) has a list of over 40 ingredients that can be used in a standard beer product. Check it out: http://laws.justice.gc.ca/eng/C.R.C.-C.870/index.html

While gluten is a common ingredient, there are some beer products that do not have gluten sources, such as gluten-free beers and rice beers.

Currently, beer products sold in Canada are not required to declare all ingredients on their bottles, cans or cases.

Outgrew eggs, fish, shellfish

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 1:06 am 

http://www.cfax1070.com/newsstory.php?newsId=17336
Quote:
According to brewers changing labels can be very costly. That may be true but they should start making changes now to get in line with the rest of the food industry when this comes into effect in 18 months.

dh-allergy cats, bugspray and guava, outgrew egg allergy

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 3:58 pm 
Site Admin

Drum roll....

The Allergen/Gluten Regs are now ... THE LAW!!!

http://canadagazette.gc.ca/rp-pr/p2/201 ... -14504.pdf

see page 248 of the pdf.

Congrats everyone again for all your fantastic lobbying efforts. :happydance

(Happydance guy will not be drinking beer, fyi)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 5:55 pm 
Site Admin

I think I might just frame that!
COngratulations and thank you Gwen, we couldn't have done it without you!

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 6:02 pm 

This is quite possibly one of the happiest days of my life :D
Here's to less hours in the grocery store and more time enjoying life :thumbsup

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 105 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next