You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Thu Oct 30, 2014 9:14 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Wills
PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 3:49 pm 

Ok, this may sound morbid but I wondered what others have done regarding wills and leaving information for the determined legal guardian of their children. I realized just how 'real' this issue is as our daughter's teacher has been gone since Sept. and just came back to teach this week. It turns out there was a tragedy in her family and she and her husband ended up adopting her sister's children.

My sister, our assigned legal guardian for our kids lives 5 provinces away and has zero experience with allergies. I realized I have no information for her regarding how to care for our son. What did others do? As he can't speak well for himself yet do I write a list of what he does eat at this time, how I prepare it. A basic allergy outline..how much information and where to start.

Don't mean to be gloomy but I suppose it isn't something I want to ignore as our son would be the one to suffer the most from my avoidance of the issue.

Outgrew eggs, fish, shellfish

Post subject: Re: Wills
PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 5:23 pm 

You bring up an excellent point. The legal guardians of our kids live in another country and have only met them a few times, briefly (no other/better options). We have mentioned it, but since they don't live with it they have no idea what it's like. :(

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 5:54 pm 
Site Admin

I'm lucky in that we've discussed our daughters allergies at length with all family memebers. I do think that something has to be done about reminding those who have agreed to take this on responsibility.
I keep a computer file of safe and handy recipes for dd. I must think more on this...

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 8:54 pm 

BC2007, This is SO ironic that you are posting this right now, because my husband and I are planning to update our will. But the really ironic thing is that JUST last week I said to my husband that I think we need to put together a file for our son - not in our will, but something available to his legal guardians (family members) so they are well aware of what he can eat (they already know quite a bit, but certainly, as our sons' parents, we have not shared nearly enough information). I really don't think this is morbid at all. Parents need to discuss and prepare for these circumstances. And a child with a health issue has additional needs that need to be considered and documented.

In our sons file, I want to include what CAN he eat, as well as what needs to be avoided. I want to include recipes and other information that would be helpful. Because our daughter is nearly 12, I thought we would let her know where the file is, as well as letting the named legal guardians know that the file exists, and where to find it. Our son has other health issues, in addition to his food allergies, so I really need to get on this.

Our children are both adopted. Prior to adopting our daughter, the province of Ontario required that wills be prepared, naming legal guardians. This was prompted by the death of a couple that had adopted a baby girl in China, only to be tragically killed in a car accident while still in China. A will did not exist for this couple with a named legal guardian. From that time forward, the province of Ontario included this as a requirement prior to the adoption of a child. (Each province has its own requirements - it is not a national policy).

12 yr old son: allergic to peanuts, tree nuts, eggs, fish, sesame, sunflower, mustard, poppy seeds, peas, carrots, some fruits, instructed to avoid all other legumes (except soy & green beans), pollen, cats, horses

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 8:49 am 
Site Admin

Rent a safety deposit box from the bank (approx$35-you can claim it on your income tax) and keep a copy of the will here. :thumbsup
No one likes to make out a will but you'll get a lot of piece of mind once it's done. :thumbsup

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 12:00 pm 

Throw in a copy of Allergic Living and a note with your forum "name" in it. There is a whole "family "here to help if they know who needs it. :huggy I too, went down this path wondering "what would happen if?"

dh-allergy cats, bugspray and guava, outgrew egg allergy

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 1:59 pm 

A computer file Susan sounds like a good idea, easy to update, easy to email. There is just soooo much information. I will slowly work at it as there is just so much to put down.
I wish I could have a Dumbledore moment, hold my finger to my sister's forehead and transfer all the information stored in my brain directly to her. :lol:

Outgrew eggs, fish, shellfish