You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Wed Sep 24, 2014 12:38 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 1:20 pm 

I thought i'd just put it out there. In my early 30's I was treated for Generalized Anxiety Disorder. I overcame my panic attacks and when I was healthy again, my husband and I tried to have a baby. I did not experience anxiety attacks during my pregnance, just the usual new-mother nerves and incessant worrying. I think the happy hormones stuck with me after C's birth as I didn't have any issues until he had his second big reaction at Christmas time. I feel like I am losing the battle once again. Pushing him down the dairy aisle or the mixed nuts is torture. Any experience with this out there?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 1:57 pm 

I'm glad you are "putting it out there". If you have had experience previously, maybe you should revisit it with your doctor, it was easier for us to avoid eggs, I'm sure, but I can understand where you're coming from....I'm sure this is "normal" for an allergy mom, but managable....don't ignore it.
This is a lot to have on your plate.

Michele :huggy

dh-allergy cats, bugspray and guava, outgrew egg allergy

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 2:00 pm 
Site Admin

Are you having full blown anxiety attacks at the grocery store? The reason I ask is that your less than 2 months from that last reaction which you describe as big. These types of reactions can really throw you for a loop!
Could it be that you are associating the items in the stores with the reaction and remembering the event? Are you anxious that you might inadvertently purchase something that contains or may have become contaminated by these products? Do you worry that he will suffer a reaction from being in close proximity to these items?
I am not a psychologist, but I do know that these worries have been voiced by others and can cause anxiety. If the only time that you are having anxiety attacks is while in certain aisles of the store, stay out of them. It might sound silly but if you can get hubby (or SO) to purchase a few things...what's the harm?
Try to listen to the message that your telling yourself during these times, and if it is concern about C, know that there is much that is in your control.
All of this said, you know yourself better than I and if you are having anxiety attacks that are causing you to notbe able to cope, talk to your Dr. There is help out there. Life with allergies can be hard, we all need support. :huggy

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 3:18 pm 

Thanks for the virtual hugs:) I admit that I feel a little embarrassed to be so candid with strangers but I know from my past experiences that the anxiety loses some of its power when you are honest about it. I guess I feel a lack of control when we go out to the store or a play group, especially when other babies try to stick their bottles in my son's mouth or I see them eating crackers and they give their hands a quick wipe on their pants before touching the toys. My mother put Cameron in a shopping cart with yogurt glopped all over it once, since then I have to have him strapped into his stroller. I hate that he sooooo wants to get out and walk, but as he still grabs at everything and puts it in his mouth, my nerves can't take it. I have just started seeing a doctor and she asked if I feel like I am going to die when I am having panic and I responded no, I worry that my son might. And I can't lose him.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 3:25 pm 

When DD was young, and out and about with me, we made a game (which became a rule/habit of keeping her hands on her belly button.....I also didn't want to be telling her "no" all the time (touching, grabbing, etc...) so we said "that's not for DD" it was something to work on and helped in a lot of ways...neither of them tell me "no". :thumbsup It will get better. I was also really glad to shop without her so I could read the labels at my leisure. This all takes time to learn when we seem to least afford the time. ...and they do grow and learn so fast.

I am so glad that you found this forum and hope that you have someone in your life to maybe keep him for awhile while you go grocery shopping. It's hard enough for parents with non-allergic kids, let alone throw this wrench into the mix.

Also, look to see if there is a support group near you.

dh-allergy cats, bugspray and guava, outgrew egg allergy

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 3:46 pm 
Site Admin

I used to have a fear when my daughter was an infant, that she would be abducted. Oh, I was OK with the abduction as I always figured she'd be found. :freak

I was afraid that the first thing they'd do would be to give her milk! :frightened

I always carried a receiving blanket, later on a thin beach towel (dollar store) to use between dd and what she was sitting on. For shoping carts, I'd simply take a flyer and tear some slits to accomodate the bars and she'd siton that. I carry wipes (yep, I still do) and wipe down the cart's handle.

Sounds like what your feeling is typical mommy of a child with FA's. Not that it's easy-it isn't! You will develop tools and resources that work for you and as he gets older, it will get easier. I promise.

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb