You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Thu Nov 27, 2014 1:19 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Preschool
PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2005 8:20 pm 

I have heard preschool being refered to as JK on this site, so I am assuming that preschool is different across canada. How does it work in your area?

Here we have optional preschool for 1 or 2 years prior to kindergarten. The preschools are privately run, many are in churches, and in the past few years some have opened in schools but they are seperate. Preschool costs money to send your kids to, unless you live in an area near a "community school" that provides it free for low income families. I believe that you have to apply and are accepted or denied based on your families need. Community schools have extra funding, and provide extra services including a milk program. Lucky for us, my daughters will attend the only public school in our city that is not a "community school" so I do not need to worry about the milk program.

Basically, preschools do not need to follow any recommendations by a school board, and are run as a business. So...if your child requires a milk-free classroom, the preschool is concerned about losing business by parents who like to send cheese with their kids to school. Luckily I have found one ( at my daughters future school, but privately run ) who is willing to go milk free, but the preschool my older daughter attends now is NOT willing to go milk free next year for my younger daughter, mostly out of concern that their enrollment will drop by switching to a "fruit only" policy for snacks. So it seems like if your childs needs are in the minority, you are SOL unless you find someone willing to accomidate you out of the goodness of their heart. No one is required to provide a safe education prior to kindergarten. Luckily the teacher/seperate preschool who is willing to go milk free has a son with anaphylaxis to fish, and understands that she would not want him in a room full of people eating fish...or coming to school after eating fish without washing their hands.

Susan, is your daughters JK a part of a regular school, and part of the school board? Your JK will be have to follow sabrinas law too right?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2005 11:07 pm 
Site Admin

Yes, she's in JK which is part of her elementary school. It is the catholic school board, which is a separate school board but is funded with public monies. You have to specify whether your tax doars go to the regular school board r to the cathic schoo board.
My friend had her daughter in a pre-school which seemed to be 2 years and up (maybe younger, I wasn't paying attention) That pre-school was attatched to a schoo and you had the option of continuing at pre-school, or going into JK.
Because our daughter's birthday in the latter part of the year she actually started JK at 3 years of age. She is tall for her age and the teacher keeps thinking she's 5 years old.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2005 10:34 am 

We too have a choice between public and catholic, and we must choose which our tax dollars go to.

Because our preschools are seperate, and not a part of publically funded schools, I really do not have any "right to attend". Therefore, if I do not like the way my childs allergies are dealt with, the only real option I have is to not send her until kindergarten. I am really frustrated at the way my oldest daughters current school will not accomidate my younger daughter next year. They suggested that she sit alone while having snack, while the rest of the class eats community snack which usually includes cheese and crackers, and the constant parade of milky/eggy dainties, and the children do not wash after eating them.

My older daughters christmas concert is this morning, and I am stressed because we are bringing my youngest to watch, but have to leave quickly before the food comes out. My older daughter daughter and i are staying (we are taking seperate vehicles ) for the coffee portion, but my older daughter usually gets upset that the other kids siblings are there and hers is not, because of the damn food. This is definitely a situation that I will not put her in next year, which is unfortunate because they are really nice teachers otherwise.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2005 7:32 am 
Site Admin

It's just discrimination pure and simple! :twisted:
We can have all the smoke detectors and fire drills, occupational health and safety assessments, ramps for wheel chairs, rules on bullying, we can have equal rights for men and women...
And yet, our children are still put at mortal risk simpy trying to attend pre-school? :shock:
What is up with that?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2005 12:02 am 

Susan, Your daughter also attends daycare right? I have never heard you comment about what her care is like there, I have only heard that she attends. What is it like at daycare? I'm assuming it must be good.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2005 7:58 am 
Site Admin

She goes to home-based daycare. She goes before school and the lady puts her on the school bus, she picks her up from the school bus and they spend the afternoon together. My husband picks her up at 1700 (she refuses to leave until the big girls go) The break down in kids is two 4 year olds; one 7 year old, two 8 year olds and one 10 year old. She also has two sons ages 13 and 17 (I think)
It is through an agency so they are monitored and have surprise spot checks. The agency would supply any equipment needed, which when she was small meant highchairs, playpens and double strollers. The daycare providers who have special needs children are given the necessary training (EpiPen). They also get a pay increase for the added responsibiity.
We had a wonderful lady up until our daughter started school (she doesn't accept school children as she doesn't like to have the infants waiting at bus stops in the winter). We moved anyway so that worked out. (If we aren't snowed in today we are going to pop in and give her her Birthday present)
I supply the lunch, soya milk and snack. I have found that both providers I've had long standing dealngs with eventually gravitate to purchasing those snacks which I brought. (easier for them)
I like that fact that the group is small (easier to keep track of the kids), it's family oriented and gives our daughter some glimps of a large family life(we have only one child). The two main caregivers we have had, have been excellent.
The two replacements (when holidays didn't line up) weren't. One drove the toddlers around all day (not hard to watch kids who are strapped in car seats), took them to PetSmart (large petstore think bins of food with God knows what in them). Our daughter would cry when she went to that lady (first time for that) and one day my husband picked up our daughter and her face was swollen. The lady didn't know what from and had been givening her Benedryl for 4 hours but hadn't bothered to call us! :shock: The other left the 3 year olds to eat lunch while she put the babies down for a nap. On three different days in one week our daughter couldn't finish her lunch because the other 3 year old had put his spoon in her food to try it. The careprovider did nothing to change things even after we spoke to her. Oh and it went on as long as it did because the provider never mentioned it so we had to hear about it from our then 3 year old. :shock:
It is a lot to ask someone else to keep their home allergy free especially the lady we have now as she has 2 teenage boys, but I find somepeople will surprise you and themselves. They go that extra mile to ensure your child's safety and it restores some of my often broken faith in others.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2005 11:14 am 

A friend of mine with a peanut/nut allergic 5 year old, and a milk/egg allergic 2 year old really lucked out too. Her sitter was even baking only safe cookies etc. for the other kids even though the 2 year old was not eating them. Her kids never had a reaction at her house. I watch the kids on days her regular sitter can not, infact i had them a great deal of the summer. They have astma too. Being at home all day with 4 allergic kids all under 5 is a bit much...so I only do it as a back up.

The kids are not going to the sitter currently...my friend is on maternity leave...she was due last saturday and is still pregnant. I am on call to take her kids when she goes into labour. She is very brave to have a third. I used to want four kids, but I do not wish to have the allergy list grow...and I fear having a child allergic to soy. Lisas story of how her mom had to juggle everyones milks terrifies me...and i really don't want to have to deal with that...so I am not having anymore kids.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2005 11:01 am 

deleted