You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Sat Sep 20, 2014 10:00 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 6:12 pm 

As someone with severe corn allergy, I feel I need to comment on some of the ingredients for the fudge recipe posted (and shown on video) by your magazine. I tried to leave a comment on the recipe site but it would not accept my nickname or password. The recipe is not completely corn allergy friendly.

First, the rice milk has to be "unfortified"...the vitamins added to milks are usually in a corn oil carrier or in a carrier that also contains propylene glycol or polysorbates (both of which are corny). The milk used has be unfortified. Also, the only vanilla extract that is truly safe for a corn allergy is one made by using a whole vanilla bean immersed into pure potato vodka (usually takes about a month to make a nice flavour). And....iodized salt (I'm assuming this is what the recipe is calling for) is a HUGE problem for people with corn allergy since the iodine fortification is done using corn dextrose. Redmond's all natural sea salt (uniodized) is safe for a corn allergy.

Also, shortening usually contains citric acid which is made from corn. I have not found a shortening that I do not react to.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 7:37 pm 

Eldi wrote:
I tried to leave a comment on the recipe site but it would not accept my nickname or password.

I thought it was just me screwing up :damnedcomputer when I tried to leave a comment over there too, I finally just got frustrated and left. :oops:

On a side note, Eldi, I notice you are from Saskatchewan. Do you have any corn fields around you and if so, do you notice any reaction during certain times of the year? ie. in blooming season (would corn blooms be that silky stuff?). I get horrible headaches and really stuffed when the rapeseed (canola) is in bloom if I don't medicate.

dh-allergy cats, bugspray and guava, outgrew egg allergy

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 9:26 pm 

Actually, I moved from Regina to Calgary last summer. There are no corn fields anywhere near Regina or Calgary for that matter. I think I would get ill if I were to get too close. I don't do well around the corn on the cob bins in grocery stores...I usually have to swerve clear of them.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 3:09 am 
Site Admin

Thanks Eldi. I'll take that up with Cybele Pascal, whose videos we carry. She's normally excellent, but I see your point.

We're getting lots of comments on the website's articles and always welcome them.

One thing - are you folks trying to just post on the bigger Allergicliving.com site using your Forum sign-ons? I ask because maybe it's not apparent - the Forum (which is made in pre-packaged bulletin board software) won't share sign-ons with other software - such as our separately built new Allergicliving.com.

This means that you have to register a name/pw the first time you want to comment on an article on Allergicliving.com. Absolutely fine to use the same username/pw as on the Forum, it's just that the website has to have its own registration, since there isn't a way to make the Forum software "share" that info.

If this is what's caused confusion, I'd appreciate knowing.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 3:35 am 

I think that may have been my problem. I'll have to go back and try again.

dh-allergy cats, bugspray and guava, outgrew egg allergy

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 7:47 am 

I have tried several times with a new login/name but finally just gave up.

Outgrew eggs, fish, shellfish

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 11:42 am 
Site Admin

Yack! :frightened
Never give up!!! It's just technology...don't let it stop you... :damnedcomputer
You are stronger than the computer program... :damnedcomputer

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 10:13 pm 
Site Admin

Whoa, ease up my dear friends.

Help Susan and me out here; we can't fix anything until you tell us something is wrong, and give us clues as to what is going wrong.

If you just say: comments don't work, end of story, that's not terribly illuminating. Fact is both signups and Comment functions are working fine for others (even me when last I tested).

So that we can resolve - and trust me we want to and we welcome all your comments on as many articles as you like – pls take a moment to try signing up again. What exactly happens when you try to sign up? Do you get an error msg? If so, what does it say? Pls send that info to Erin at info@allergicliving.com and I'll ask her to watch for. Make subject line: Comments problem.

If you know how to send a screen "grab" even better - send her a picture of what happens.

This website is still new, maybe we have a hiccup or two or maybe something is just not evident enough in the signup process. But it's pretty hard for Susan or me to report to Travis that "something is wrong, but I have no clue what it is."

What's the first thing your mechanic says? What's the car doing? As we know, same with the computer tech. Susan, can you also give it a try?

Without some clues, I'm back at :scratchy

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 8:47 am 

Hey back to corn, I had to say after reading Eldi's post I had NO idea corn was so difficult to avoid. WOW!

Outgrew eggs, fish, shellfish

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 4:17 pm 
Site Admin

Oh yes, if you think your life is difficult, just go look at the corn allergy threads... they have it super tough!

FYI if you want to do the screen grab Gwen was speaking of:
1.Press both the Shift + Print Screen buttons (Print Screen is usally to the right of your F12 button).
2. Open a Word page.
3. On the Word page, press copy.
4. Left click on the image, at the top of the page you should see several tabs.
5. Left click the tab "Picture Tools".
6. Near the top right of your page, you should see the tool button "crop", click this.
7. Left click the top left and drag the cursor to wear you want the top left of the image to be.
8. Do the same with the bottom right corner of the image.

Save the document and attach it to the e-mail.

Sounds tricky but it's actually quite easy!

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb