You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Wed Sep 17, 2014 1:41 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 1:44 am 

I bought a large pack a few months ago to make lasagne, etc and let DS eat it. We tried pizza and DD (who can eat real cheese) tried it but ds was put off by the smell. It's been packaged into little ziplocs and double sealed in my freezer until tonight when I tried a vegan mac and cheese, with pureed cauliflower, chicken stock, daiya, topped with bread crumbs. I thought it was not bad.

Dd was excited about it, ate a bit, asked for more then decided she didn't like it. Ds fussed about it, then finally took a small bite willingly, but said he didn't really like it. Dh, who normally eats just about anything, took a bite and said he really didn't like the taste of the cheese. Argggghhh I'm the only one who ate it!

I had high hopes of being able to make all sorts of cheesey dishes with it!

That said, anyone in the Vancouver area want almost 5 pounds of frozen mozza daiya?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 5:42 pm 

We had the same problem with mac and cheese. My husband made it with daiya and the kids weren't too fussy either. He liked it though!
All of our family however likes grilled cheese sandwiches with daiya. My daughter didn't like it on the first or second try but now really enjoys it. It's wonderful to have one more lunch option.
I think it is hard sometimes to introduce substitutes for foods which she is allergic too. It looks the same and smells the same and now we're telling her its okay to eat it!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 10:27 pm 
Site Admin

That's too bad Alison's mom.

I'm surprised - I know people who love the Daiya stuff. I'v tried it in a grill sandwich, thought it was pretty good. (Must say, I was also amazed to find a cheeseless cheese that didn't contain soy, yay!)

Maybe it's like Kate says:
Quote:
I think it is hard sometimes to introduce substitutes for foods which she is allergic too.

To repeat your question: Anybody in Vancouver area need some no-cheese cheese?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 11:53 pm 

Though I have never tried this cheese I can only think when I tried new things for the first time, I did not like milk for example, I was about 8 yrs old when I first tried cows milk. Hated it! But with small doses at first got use to it. So if she had a lunch that she was use to then had 1/4 of a grilled cheese that she could take only one bite of ... over time she would get use to the taste of this cheese and come to love it. :thumbsup :banana Just a thought. Good luck

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 9:48 pm 

Thanks everyone. DD seems to not mind it much, but DS is put off by the smell and taste, and he's usually the more adventurous eater. Dh says it tastes like sweaty socks! (he tried not to admit that, but I insisted he tell me what he didn't like about the cheese). Given that, I'm reluctant to serve it again while DH is home, anyway. I may try it in small doses with just the kids.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 7:50 am 

Luckily for you Alison's Mom that the 'new lemonade stand' is really all about cheese.
"Cheese, cheese, come and get your cheese, 50 cents a slice"
:rofl

Outgrew eggs, fish, shellfish