You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 12:03 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 1:39 am 

My son is allergic to wheat, rye and barley. He is able to have oatmeal though. His iron count came out low :cry: and now I have to give him iron syrup (he does not take tablets). The doc recommended something called Ferrum which has :cry: iron as iron (III) hydroxide polymaltose complex. The allergist says that the polymaltose while derived from barley is the sugar part of it and so little that it should be fine.
I am very scare of trying this because my son's wheat allergy is very bad. We always carry an epi pen. does any one know if the doctor is right or can suggest another nice tasting iron syrup for a 5 year old.
thanks so much

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 2:37 pm 
Site Admin

Do they know the cause of his low iron?

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 4:55 am 

I probably would be happy with what the allergist has said...remembering that anaphylaxis and allergic reactions are caused by a reaction to the protien components of each food. If you are really worried can you have the first couple of doses at a Drs surgery?
good luck

j-avoids peanut, sunflower, pineapple all ana-sensitised to maccadaemia.pecan.Passed barley (previous ana) last year...out grew egg ana and peanut at 3 years..became re sensitised with ana at 6 years to peanut.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 7:24 am 
Site Admin

mom2one wrote:
does any one know if the doctor is right or can suggest another nice tasting iron syrup for a 5 year old.
thanks so much

Have you tried molasses? It's usually made from cane or beet sugars.
http://www.nal.usda.gov/fnic/foodcomp/c ... ut_edit.pl

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 11:01 am 

Thanks for the reply everyone. His iron is low because we are vegetarian although I am thinking of giving him chicken now. I think the idea of giving him the meds at the docs is really scary to me still because I can't bear the thought of seeing him have a reaction ! I am hoping that someone has faced a similar situation and used the malt (and been ok) who will post here. Sigh !!
In the meanwhile I started him on the yucky iron by mixing it in sweet potatoe puree.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 11:46 am 

Quote:
Iron-rich foods include red meat, pork, fish and shellfish, poultry, lentils, beans and soy foods, green leafy vegetables, and raisins. Some flours, cereals, and grain products are also fortified with iron.

Is your son able to eat Sunbutter (sunflower butter, peanut/tree nut safe)? SunMaid raisins are also made in a peanut/tree nut free facility. I read too that pumpkin seeds are high in iron and if you son can eat sesame seeds those also are good. And as mentioned above molasses as well as baked potato with the skin on it are all high in iron.

Quote:
Following is a list of foods that are high in iron which provide 8 mg or more of iron per 100 g of the food.

1. Cereals & Grains: barley (Bajra), Rice flakes
2. Pulses & Beans: Cow pea, Lobia (black-eye beans), Lentils, Soybean
3. Vegetables: Beetroot greens, Mint, Parsley, Turnip greens.
Vegetables like broccoli and bok choy are rich in iron. These vegetables are high iron and also high in vitamin C, which increases absorption of their iron content. The presence of vitamin C in these vegetables help absorb iron.
4. Sea vegetables are very high in iron. Refer the high iron food list given below.
5. Spices: Turmeric (Haldi)
6. Fruits: Dried dates, Watermelon, Raisins
7. Fish and Red meats

Outgrew eggs, fish, shellfish

Last edited by BC2007 on Wed Feb 23, 2011 8:49 am, edited 4 times in total.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 11:49 am 
Site Admin

I've posted a link to this thread on my local support group asking one of the vegetarian parents to chime in with some feedback.

All I can think of is the old book Diet for a Small Planet and combining your foods for "complete proteins".

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 12:07 pm 

http://www.spitz.ca/our-products.php

Many Spitz products are labeled from a peanut/tree nut free facility. I am unsure about the pumpkin seeds but if they are safe for 1/3 cup it says here that there is 20% Iron. The unshelled sunflower seeds have for a 1 oz portion 6% iron.

Good luck!! :huggy

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 1:28 am 

Thank you everyone. I will surely try some of those. He does not enjoy raisins so I am thinking of pureeing it in his pancake. I hope the nutritional values stays the same. Need to find a good wheat free recepie for brocolli soup also. Again, really grateful for all the suggestions.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 8:52 am 

If your son is ok with milk there is always the good old standard of steamed broccoli served with cheese sauce. Or melt a handful of chocolate chips in a bowl (I use the chocolate setting on the microwave), mix in some raisins, freeze on waxed paper and make him a brittle. Not the healthiest option but it would get him used to the taste of raisins.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 12:21 am 

When my youngest was avoiding wheat and barley (because of wheat and barley allergies), I avoided malt 100%. I don't know if it was necessary, but I know that as a parent of an allergic child, it's hard to trust that there are no proteins -- unless the company can guarantee that there is no risk. Have you called the company to ask?

For the broccoli soup, no soup needs to have wheat (flour) in it. I assume that you're thinking wheat flour would be needed for a thickener? I just used to add a bit of rice (not an option, I realize) or potato to thicken soups.

Here's a pretty simple recipe - with no wheat to be seen:

http://www.canadianliving.com/food/quic ... i_soup.php

Here's another very simple one:

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/paul ... index.html

If veggie or chicken stock is hard to come by, just use water. Or you could try Imagine Foods products:

http://www.imaginesoup.ca/index.php/products/

Good luck,

K.