You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Fri Jul 25, 2014 1:18 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 134 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next
PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 6:36 pm 

I was thinking about different colors and a shade of green is what I was mostly thinking about. Teal is a shade of green :mrgreen:
Though there are many thoughts when one thinks of green some I think of are
1. Green-protect the environment (of the allergic person)environment should be friendly.
2. Green-camouflage to blend together as one, to mix in and be the same. (or its war camo!)
3. Green-as in lights to "Go" to move forward.
4. Green-Nature, health, to grow
5. Green-this can also mean inexperienced. Need to teach and to learn.
I am sure there are many more but I see green as positive. :mrgreen: :bouncygreen :bouncyblue

bouncyblue looks kinda green (teal) to me.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 12:37 pm 

paige H Well, I must say, I really liked the polka dots, but teal it is :bouncyblue and it does go well with the "environment"
BC2007, :thanksign for sending out a little note, did you get a little note back?
Susan, I am still campaigning for "Sabrina's Law" out here in Alberta. We have a "lame duck" attitude here I think, much like the voluntary law in the U.S.

We have a few wrinkles to iron out. Now I know what colour to paint the ironing board. :banana Looking forward to May :happydance Anybody else want to go to a picnic?

dh-allergy cats, bugspray and guava, outgrew egg allergy

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 1:43 pm 

Quote:
paige H Well, I must say, I really liked the polka dots, but teal it is :bouncyblue and it does go well with the "environment"
:rofl I love how us allergy mama's have learned to make executive decisions on our own. :thumbsup That's what gets things done!!!

It could always be teal with a darker shade of teal polka dots...but that could prove difficult to execute unless someone wants to sit up all night with a bingo marker and stamp ribbon. :mrgreen:

Outgrew eggs, fish, shellfish

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 11:20 pm 

Awesome Idea!!!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 1:09 pm 

Ladies we guessed wrong. Here's a bit from the reply I received from Anaphylaxis Canada.

Quote:
Anaphylaxis Canada primarily uses red. It is the colour of the “X” man in our logo and was also the colour of silicone awareness bracelets we had in the past.

By the way, if you are in the Toronto area in May, we are holding our 10th Anniversary conference at the Toronto Science Centre on May 7th. For more details, please visit our website: http://www.anaphylaxis.ca/content/whatsnew/events.asp.

I love them at AC but to me I associate AIDS ribbons with red. Just my thoughts.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 5:10 pm 

I don't think we've "guessed" wrong.

Since the question has been raised, I feel it shows that not enough has been done......but I live in Alberta and it seems to be more of a shushing campaign from the Alberta Government. Just my opinion.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 6:29 pm 

Sorry Alberta, I only meant we guessed the colour wrong not that we shouldn't start our own ribbons. I still say I like teal - and who says we can't design our own ribbon/ colour for allergies. :lol:

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 8:10 pm 

Aw, sorry I snapped at you BC2007. If I sound bitter, it's cause I am. It just really gets to me with the lip service we have gotten from our provincial government. If there has been anything done here it's been more because people have poked and prodded every step of the way. I'm really ready to make some big noises out here in the west....and May is around the corner. What's everyones thoughts? I think we should decide on something and run with it.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 10:40 pm 

:huggy

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 12:15 am 

BC2007 wrote:
I love them at AC but to me I associate AIDS ribbons with red. Just my thoughts.

If the Momvocates on this board don't know that Red is the colour for Anaphylaxis then I highly doubt anyone else would!

We are very lucky to have a good MLA who supported an Allergy bill provincially.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 12:17 pm 

Quote:
If the Momvocates on this board don't know that Red is the colour for Anaphylaxis then I highly doubt anyone else would!

Walooet, you sure said a mouthful there. We need to do more to get our cause out there. Here in Alberta, when I mention anaphylaxis, people think I am talking about wi fi in schools or the new big electrical line and which side of Edmonton it's gonna go on. I probably asked this before, but walooet, which province are you from again?

PaigeH, I am so glad you brought this up. Food for thought, now all we need is action!!!!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 4:10 pm 

I for one have never thought of a color (certainly not red) in association with allergies that is why I brought it up in the first place. I really think we need a ribbon to bring about awareness. I do think if no one quickly spoke up to say "oh it is red" then we really are at square one with no color. The little red x they have in the title is not bringing about any awareness, or one of us here would have thought of it. It needs to be universal and on my lapel! We need people to know that we (allergic people) are everywhere. It is sad that this "club" is growing everyday. When we try to make places safe for the children those without allergies may not know how many of us are affected. Lets show our numbers in "ribbons" :) :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 6:17 pm 

So, if red is Anaphylaxis Canada and since we want to cover more that anaphylaxis but food allergies overall maybe red is definitely not the colour we want to go with since it would leave out a lot of people whose lives are still very much affected. Green or teal is definitely the environmental route, but I like the idea of polka dots. It some how fits, like the forget me not flower seed packets for alzheimer's and the puzzle pieces for autism.....although teal is already started a little...

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 8:05 am 

There are companies online who make the awareness ribbons. To start off with this might be the best way as then we can all go from there on our own even once we can match the exact colour. I'd love to have DS sell them and give a portion to A.C.. (Anaphylaxis Canada not Air Canada :rofl )

I also like the idea of polka dots, they can be very subtle but would really be a conversation starter as it would bring up that they represent so many allergies out there. I wouldn't worry about who has teal already, there are so many shades of every colour.

I also would like to wear this as a ribbon or pin on my jacket.

http://www.neednamebadges.com/awareness ... 4AodEysnVg

http://www.ribbonwarehouse.com/

http://www.ribbonfactory.com/html/aware ... 5QodzDgKAw

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 12:48 pm 

BC2007 wrote:
I'd love to have DS sell them and give a portion to A.C.. (Anaphylaxis Canada not Air Canada :rofl

Love that one! Perfect emoticon. Ironic that the two organizations have the same initials given the airlines' less than stellar handling of allergies.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 134 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next