Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Wed Nov 26, 2014 1:32 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Gifted kids jump queue
PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 9:15 am 

http://www.parentcentral.ca/parent/educ ... -in-halton

Kids with other special needs wait over a year for testing. But Halton board is now testing 360 SK kids for grade one gifted programming. i find this very disturbing, for a lot of reasons.

two of my kids tested as gifted in primary....but they aren't actually gifted. Both could have been put into a grade one gifted program, but without their other "special needs" being met it wouldn't have done them any good.

I do understand that gifted testing is quicker, and therefore cheaper, then other psychoeducational testing....but that's not an acceptable excuse imo.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 1:40 am 

It's interesting how things are handled in different provinces. I think that there are "windows" in childrens lives that extra work can make a huge difference..sometimes when that window is missed the child really pays the price. In most cases sooner rather than later would be the better route. I don't know about these days, but in the past, Alberta has been known to have significantly more resources for children diagnosed with autism than children in Ontario.

dh-allergy cats, bugspray and guava, outgrew egg allergy

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 1:44 am 

A proper gifted program isn't extra work....it's more advanced work. But leaving kids with other special needs out of the testing can mean a child ends up dropping out of school.

also, when a school does this kind of testing, it is tends to miss some of the profoundly gifted because they have other issues...ld's, autism, etc.

I do support gifted programming...I just don't agree with putting it ahead of other needs.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 12:08 pm 

By extra work, I didn't mean the gifted kids. I have only had experience with my DS and his speech issues when he was younger. If I had not have pushed/advocated for the help he got when he was young 4,5 & 6, I am sure he would not be the student he is today. I am a mom (a really great one) but had no clue what to do when it came to helping him....he needed a professional....and without getting what he needed at that particular window in his life (a few months make such a difference in young children). With the attention that autism is getting (another unfortunate club to belong to that is getting bigger) it is bringing to the forefront what "early" intervention will do. A good thing. At the other end of the stick, my DD waited for the other kids to catch up to her in the early years.
This parenting stuff is so hard, just when you figure them out- they change....and the years just fly by....isn't is all just so fun? and like a "box of chocolates" you just never know what you get. :banana

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 1:10 pm 

An educator whom I highly respect said that Gifted students are at high risk of drop-out and that more attention should be paid to them. Having said that, our division has no gifted programming whatsoever.

The testing for giftedness that we know of takes at least 4 hours so I don't agree that it is 'easy'.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 5:18 pm 
Site Admin

I think my daughter is brilliant but...our school ships the gifted students over to another school for a portion of the day...I don't think I could handle having to work with too schools! :freak

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 1:15 pm 

walooet wrote:
An educator whom I highly respect said that Gifted students are at high risk of drop-out and that more attention should be paid to them. Having said that, our division has no gifted programming whatsoever.

The testing for giftedness that we know of takes at least 4 hours so I don't agree that it is 'easy'.

They are at a high risk of dropping out...due to boredom....but not in grade one. a full evaluation can take 2-3 days, so four hours is a lot easier. a full evaluation requires consulting with teachers and parents, and observing in the classroom. In some instances, the psychologist can observe more then one students at a time, thereby saving him/herself a day.

One of my grandsons is autistic. last year he was in a school that was fabulous for him. they transferred him to the school near his home, and they are just not prepared to deal with his issues. His brother is being tested for the gifted programming....but not a full evaluation, which rather defeats the purpose imo, because, like my kids, there is some kind of learning deficit as well, and they are refusing to even look for what it is.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 1:42 pm 

AnnaMarie wrote:
They are at a high risk of dropping out...due to boredom....but not in grade one.

This is such an important "window" when kids who need extra help/work I feel as you do AnnaMarie, the sooner the better. I find it ironic that when you need to advocate the most for your child is when the whole thing (parenting) is new, so a person tends to tread lightly when what you really need to do is stomp.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 8:44 pm 

You are right. It's an important time for all children's needs. And that does include gifted. It's the testing all of them that irks me. I guess because I've seen kids who are in the gifted range do really well in a regular class, I forget it isn't always that way. The teachers at my son's school went above and beyond and they kept the kids interested and challenged them intellectually. But, it isn't always that way. Two of them found it less challenging when they were transferred to a gifted program.

But, it's this idea of testing all kids for a gifted program....and ignoring any other special needs.