You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Sat Dec 20, 2014 11:23 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 11:12 am 
Site Admin

Has anyone noticed the price of food is going up? It's hard enough when you have to purchase specialty foods. Let's make a list of oney saving tips!

I'll start with a link to SOS Cuisine. http://www.soscuisine.com/economiser.php?sos_l=en
You can quickly view the flyer deals for stores in your neighbourhood and the best deals are highlighted. What's more is a link to recipes for those items so you can purchase and prepare meals instead of letting those bargains wilt in your fridge!

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 12:28 pm 

I find it is more efficient and saves $ (less waste) by purchasing only the veggies we need for specific meals. This way veggies don't go bad in the fridge!! :| Produce prices are extra high this winter..even celery is 4$ a bunch!!!! I'd rather shop more often for perishables than have food go to waste.

Outgrew eggs, fish, shellfish

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 12:36 pm 

Time to start thinking about gardens. Some places sooner than others. Don't forget you can plant veggies in containers and mix them in with your flowers. If you have young kids, don't forget to involve them. :thumbsup

dh-allergy cats, bugspray and guava, outgrew egg allergy

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 1:07 pm 
Site Admin

We rented a community garden plot last summer $20.00 for the entire season May 15-Oct 15.
It was a lot of fun. This year I plan on planting a garden in a friends backyard. She grew up with a garden and wants her son to have the same exerience but she has health issues (knees) and no time to start it.

I'm also thinking about initiating a good food box program at our school next fall...
http://www.centretownchc.org/gfb/?page_id=9&lang=en

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 4:03 pm 

BC2007 wrote:
I find it is more efficient and saves $ (less waste) by purchasing only the veggies we need for specific meals. This way veggies don't go bad in the fridge!! :| Produce prices are extra high this winter..even celery is 4$ a bunch!!!! I'd rather shop more often for perishables than have food go to waste.

I need to do this. I am bad at buying too many veggies with good intentions of eating them all. Then DH orders pizza one night, or goes to a couple of work dinners and I'm thrown way off. I shouldn't blame him completely either, but veggies are an after thought for him.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 6:17 pm 
Site Admin

I purchase a head of Romaine lettuce and a head of leaf lettuce, wash & them up and place them in a big tupperware type of tub. This lasts us 4-5 days. It's cheaper than buying bagged salad and I know we'll eat it if it's made. Otherwise, we end up with slimy lettuce in the back of the fridge. :oops:

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 6:28 pm 

Quote:
I purchase a head of Romaine lettuce and a head of leaf lettuce, wash & them up and place them in a big tupperware type of tub. This lasts us 4-5 days

If do the same. I it isn't washed and cleaned no one seems to eat it. If it is cleaned and washed we all (myself included) tend to make more quick salads.
I do the same with veggies. I cut a container of cucumber, carrots, celery etc., enough to last a few days. DD will snack on them all the time as they quick to grab and all cut and clean. If she wants dip she just puts a bit of salad dressing in a little container.

Outgrew eggs, fish, shellfish

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 10:21 pm 
Site Admin

Yes, the carrots absorb cucumber and celery flavours...I've been told I make the best cut carrots by the girls in the office!