You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Sun Dec 21, 2014 9:24 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 63 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Play group situation
PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 1:03 pm 
Site Admin

:banana

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 9:43 pm 

This sounds like a seriously yucky situation. Although I am dedicated to advocating for DD's safety I think I would have done the same thing you did. This was such an outright rude and ignorant thing for that woman to do. What an awful role model for that child to grow up with. So sorry you had to go through this! :?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 10:21 pm 

BC2007 wrote:
seasoned at sending letters

Good for you. I am glad to hear this. If I have one regret in all of this, it's that I didn't speak out to the right people when DD was young. :thanksign

dh-allergy cats, bugspray and guava, outgrew egg allergy

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 10:44 pm 
Site Admin

I wonder if the OEYC staff said anything to the mother after you left.

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 10:23 am 

I can completely relate to your story. I had contacted the organizers of my son's play gym well in advance about having an area set aside for kids and snacks etc. The area was literally five feet away from the gym, looking directly into it. One day a group of mothers (who had been very cold towards me and kept their kids from playing with my son, although I couldn't understand why at the time) brought in a box of timbits and coffees with little creamers for their group and placed it in the centre of the room in toddler-reaching grasp. When I asked if we could just move the treats to the back of the table, I was met with scorn and very vocalized, "why should we have to change everything for one kid?" sentiments.

I kind of liked that you stuck up for yourself in a quieter and more controlled way. When c's pharmacist had an open jar of peanut butter near the cash in the pharmacy (the peanut butter was on her sleeve) while I was picking up c's epi-pen, I decided then and there that I would deal with these idiots in a manner more consistent with the values I hope to instill in my son. Getting into an emotional screaming match in front of an impressionable little one isn't ideal. But ohhhhhhhhh, how I have shared my choice words in letters and phone calls to higher ups! Bravo, mommy

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 10:26 am 

Btw...off topic, but what does dd and ds mean? And how do I sign with my kid's very long list of allergies....I never thought it possible but typing it all out takes even longer than listing them out in person;)

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 10:39 am 

dd = dear daughter
ds = dear son

PA = peanut allergy

To add a signature, go to the User control panel (link in the top right corner)
Then Profile
Then Edit Signature

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 10:39 am 

Tiffrench, DS - darling son, DH - darling husband , DD - darling daughter (or if you are alberta advocate darling dog :rofl )

To set your signature log on, where it says 0 messages click, then on the right click profile, then click on edit signature. You can type in what you wish.

Outgrew eggs, fish, shellfish

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 10:47 am 

the first d in dd/ds/dh could be dear/darling/dang - whatever is suitable although it usually has positive connotations :wink:

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 10:49 am 

Tiffrench, I am sorry for the situation you encountered. Disrespectful, hurtful, cruel. I just can't understand such behavior. I was brought up to be kind, respectful,empathetic, to celebrate differences. I would hope that others would see an accomodation for 'one' person just as important as an accomodotion for a group. The good news is that OUR children are learning these valuable lessons.

Quote:
I kind of liked that you stuck up for yourself in a quieter and more controlled way
:D I would like to take credit for that but I was in shock and too tongue tied for words. Inside I was ... :verymad :verymad :verymad

Quote:
When c's pharmacist had an open jar of peanut butter near the cash in the pharmacy (the peanut butter was on her sleeve) while I was picking up c's epi-pen,
:frightened WHY does the pharmacy have peanut butter or ANY food behind the counter??????????

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 10:51 am 

Didn't mean to post the dd thing twice. I see Walooet and I both posted at the exact same moment.
Dear actually makes more sense, don't know why I assumed darling. :scratchy

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 12:26 pm 

Quote:
WHY does the pharmacy have peanut butter or ANY food behind the counter??????????

I can't explain why the jar of peanut butter (I wouldn't do that), but to answer your question ... there is a law that prohibits any pharmacy from being open unless a pharmacist is on premises and able to handle situations that arise immediately. When I work my shifts (anywhere from 4 - 9 hours), I get NO break, no lunch, and the bathroom is a 5 minute walk away, across the store. So if I get 5 minutes to myself, I have to prioritize bathroom. Some pharmacies will actually "lock and leave" to give the pharmacist a break, but if you've ever gone into a pharmacy expecting service and seeing the dispensary locked up ... you know how well that goes over! There's really no place else to eat, either. So I do eat behind the counter in the form of grabbing little snacks most of the day (yogurt, fruit, granola bar, etc). We can't even put food in the fridge in the pharmacy - the fridge is for vaccines and insulin. Say what you want about labour laws... but this has been going on since the dawn of pharmacy, so apparently the law about a pharmacist being on duty trumps the labour law. Pharmacists are the most accessable health professional (& the advice is free...), but next time you see yours, keep in mind that she might not have eaten or had a bathroom break all day!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 12:51 pm 

Our pharmacists are the best! Thanks for the reminder to give them a thank you :D

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 3:53 pm 

Momtobunches, That is just awful, why is it that the conditions have never gotten better over the years? And to think you not only fill prescriptions but give consultations at pick up, answer endless questions about products and health issues.
Our pharmacists are just wonderful. They even called our house every now to check up on DS when he was having his monthly ear infections - and was on antiboitics every month for almost a year. :| especially to check up and see how DS is doing. If DS is actually on meds they call me when the cycle of antibiotics is almost over to see if he is doing better. I too will remember give them a huge thank you!!!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 8:19 pm 

I love the immediate responses to my questions, thank-you!

I also appreciate being better informed about a pharmacist's working conditions. I have since shopped around and have found a pharmacy that has strict no food or drink policies and have had a note attached to my ds:)'s account listing his allergies and requesting that his prescriptions be prepared without risk of contamination.

I should probably mention that my son was in my arms as I went up to the counter to pick up his epi and cream when I smelled and noticed the pb. He started crying and I stopped in my tracks before he touched anything. The pharmacist was pale when I refused to then touch his prescription. She then told me that she was not sorry. She had the right to eat pb. I couldn't contest the logic, but I later called the owner of the store about my concerns.

I hate conflict and confrontation bc2007. Which explains my own reaction. But I have now become the first to point to the no food or drink sign at the library activity room. Yes, I am now THAT mom

My dh is another story. When someone smeared pb all over the handles of the cabinets in his office kitchenette as a "joke" (apparently not knowing that 2 people in his office are Ana to peanuts) he lost his mind! But I liked the office response. They decided not to bring it into the office, although it was their right to eat it. They wanted to protect their colleagues. Maybe pharmacies should consider this?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 63 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next