You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Fri Dec 19, 2014 6:45 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 5:52 pm 

Our kids just finished a terrific 8 weeks of swimming lessons, with fabulous instructors. At the end of todays fun class (last day), they kids went over to the teachers area to get their report cards and could pick a treat out of a bucket (we didn't know about this), DH sprinted across the pool area and grabbed it out of our kids hands, fortunately, it didn't result in a tear fest or anything.

They apologized, and we didn't say anything else.

But WHY do kids have to get candy after finishing something? I know the same thing happens after gymnastics classes and other lessons/sports. SIGH.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 6:29 pm 

Sports teams, any variety of classes , activities, library time, play groups, school...any and every kids event seems to need to involve food as a reward. :frightened

I'm glad you and DH noticed this going on Becky. Why on earth do people think it is ok to feed other people's children anyway regardless of allergies. Not only could it have been disasterous if it was an unsafe treat but now your kids are also feeling left out. Why do that to kids :verymad , why not just give out stickers!!!

A girlfriend complained just this week about her 2 daughter's dance classes where the instructor after each class last week (without the parents being aware) let kids pick out a treat. This was right before supper. So allergies is one issue then add why is it ok for others to feed crap to our kids (after we pay to have them be physically active)!!!!

Outgrew eggs, fish, shellfish

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2011 12:05 am 

We have seen teachers walking into the middle school here with shopping bags full of candy, and what they have in the canteen, well....thank goodness the kids in 5-8 aren't allowed to the 7 11 just across the street till grade 9. I am always amazed at how much junk food is in those stores and often see little (preschool) kids with drinks just about as big as them coming out with their parent who has one too.
We have become a food crazed world....

dh-allergy cats, bugspray and guava, outgrew egg allergy

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2011 11:30 am 
Site Admin

This is something we don't usually ask about when investigating the allergy awarenss of a potential program/camp etc. Perhaps we need to start.
Dd's schoolboard offered a Marchbreak camp at her school last tear with a pizza lunch included on the last day. I brought this to the attention of our principal and inquired about whose budget the special cleaning would come out of our school or the school board's. She assured me that the matter would be addressed and I was happy to see that there was no pizza lunch offered this Marchbreak.

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2011 1:55 pm 

The unnerving part as well are the adults saying "oh, it's just candy, take it" etc. My daughter without allergies will refuse food without knowing the ingredients and she pushes back even when they say "but you're not allergic" by saying she won't risk it for her sister! :thumbsup

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2011 6:14 pm 

It's getting ridiculous, and I wish people would be more aware, but I guess it's a cheap reward that kids generally are happy about getting.

I have to admit when I was in university and volunteering in a grade two classroom, I brought candy canes for the kids without even thinking of allergies, parents not wanting their kids to have junk, etc :oops

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2011 6:50 pm 

Quote:
My daughter without allergies will refuse food without knowing the ingredients and she pushes back even when they say "but you're not allergic" by saying she won't risk it for her sister!

What a GREAT sister. :huggy I think allergic kids siblings are an AMAZING , mature and very caring group of kids.

Outgrew eggs, fish, shellfish

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2011 8:59 pm 

You are correct that siblings have to mature as well as the child with allergies.

Friends do too... When my kids and their friends were volunteering at an event, an adult brought in Timbits and offered to all of them. The kids all said No at the same time since they knew that my daughter could not eat them. The adult just couldn't grasp it that the friends would say no too.

I told my teen with allergies about this discussion about food and she said that the kids with allergies don't care. I honestly don't care if they 'care' or not - what I care about is that it is not fair to either risk their health or leave them out.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 1:34 am 

Interesting point walooet. I have talked to an older teen with allergies and if it bothers her if her friends are eating a DQ cake or whatever. She truly doesn't care. I would be on the verge of tears if kids were eating cake and my kids were left out.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 7:58 am 
Site Admin

My daughter is 9 and it does bother her when her cousin (5) gets a huge ice cream on a hot day and she doesn't. She's OK with the treat part because she knows she'll get something equally good when we get home.
What bothers her is the risk of exposure to her allergens. That will change as the kids get older but at a young age or in a setting where there is a lot of contact with equipment (gym etc) it really bothers her.

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 10:31 am 

Schools would never give rewards all the time that are up a flight of stairs if there were students unable to climb stairs.

Why are allergies different? Excluding a student with a physical disability means they are excluded (which I do NOT condone), serving a food to classmates with someone's anaphylactic allergens risks their health and excludes them.

I use the physical disability and stairs purely for the impact. I don't think students should be excluded or have their health put at risk for something which they cannot control and did not choose.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 10:35 am 

_Susan_ wrote:
What bothers her is the risk of exposure to her allergens.

As a teenager, that part is still uncomfortable. We have talked about that before events and as a family have agreed that if there are tree nuts out on the tables that we would leave.

I am allergic to bees and to me, an ice cream in your daughter's case and a bowl of tree nuts in both cases is akin to a hive of bees swarming me...

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 1:10 pm 

When a child finishes a group of lessons they should not get food as a reward. The reward should be verbal from the teacher as in "I saw you working so hard to master the bobs or treading water you should be proud of yourself for the great job you did". I think a comment like that would last a lot longer than some candy! As I was flipping through the chanels on tv last eve I came across a show called HEAVY wow it is so sad what we do to our self. It reminded me of Wall-E. I'm sure most young children would not have made the connection of the large, lazy people in the show but I found it sad that it mirrors our self indulgence. We as a society need to quit filling our emotions with food and fill it with people, confidence....
I remember as a teen when others were eating something I couldn't have I wanted them to have it but even if it was later I wanted something too. In life as emotions go up and down so did each food situation sometimes it was no big deal sometimes I wanted to have a pitty party. I think sometimes it seemed to bother me more if it was made into a big deal I did not want the "oh what can she have" I would rather have nothing than the chat about it. Ah! Food can't live with it, can't live without it! :abduct

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 2:49 pm 

paige H wrote:
I think sometimes it seemed to bother me more if it was made into a big deal I did not want the "oh what can she have" I would rather have nothing than the chat about it.

You got this absolutely right. I think that is how my daughter feels and thankfully I already figured it out so I don't make a big deal out of it - at least not in front of her or her friends...