You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 7:49 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 2:45 pm 

Tomorrow, I will be going into the school where I teach to help with an epi-pen demonstration. They want me to share what has happened to my son since I have been on leave. I really want to be a part of something so important, but I am nervous about losing my composure and becoming emotional in front of colleagues. I think it is the pitying looks that really mean, "I'm glad I am not you" that I a m dreading.

What would you want to say to a group of teachers if you had the opportunity? Maybe that is where I should begin.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 8:21 pm 
Site Admin

http://www.allergymoms.com/uploads/news ... dwish.html
http://www.our-kids.org/Archives/Holland.html
http://www.theallergymom.com/articles/7 ... c-reaction

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 11:36 pm 

wow. so powerful, susan. i'm going to print that off and use some of it in my presentation tomorrow. this forum has already helped me immeasurably. thanks for knowing how all of this feels and reaching out to others. it really helps to know that life goes on and we will find our way somehow. xo

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 5:05 pm 

I did it! Very difficult for me but the teachers who came in with bored, what a pain kind of faces at the beginning left realizing that if it was their kid, they would want his/her teachers to take it seriously and know what to do. Thanks for the support and resources which I posted in the staff room. (there are at least 10 kids with epis at the school and no bulletin board of who they are in the office or staff room) think I struck a nerve. They want to develop a schooled anaphylaxis safety plan (kids don't take the epis at recess and they aren't even passed between supply or prep teachers) thanks for all the support, Susan. You are terrific.