You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Thu Sep 18, 2014 11:45 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 9:58 am 

Ok.. DD is allergic to shellfish... we have had her tested for all other fish as well as venom... the only thing, so far that has come back is shellfish -- yet I worry continuously.. could she be allergic to anything else that we haven't tested for. How likely is this?

So.. today she came home from school... and you can always tell when she is having some form of a reaction because she is agitated and very "floppy/tired". I could instantly tell something was wrong and noticed a hive on her face.... then he kept complaining that her knees hurt. I mean she was complaining a lot!

Then I noticed the hive on her face seemed to become more pronounced and her ear was bright red too. And was starting to scratch at diffrent areas on her body. I checked her over right away and no other hives other than the one on her face.

Other than what I packed her for lunch (the usual).. she had popcorn at the after school care - and they know about her allergy and also keep things nut-free... so little worry on cross contamination there.
After an hour or so.. her symptoms subsided... she even said her knees didnt hurt anymore... so now my questions are:
What the heck could she have been reacting to?
Her sore knees were def. related -- but why and now?
How on earth do I know what she might have come into contact with today that would have caused this reaction?
How do we know if she could be starting to become sensitive to other foods?

DD is 4.5 years old. allergic reaction to clams... assume other shellfish too. We have reintroduced fish and she has been fine.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 11:47 am 
Site Admin

These things can be hidng just about anywhere...What was in the popcorn & topping?
Did she do any crafts, lick envelopes, did they change their soap at school or the after school program? Try to get her to describe her day... I hope you find the cause of the rx'n.

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 12:06 pm 

I didn't get a chance to talk much about her day yesterday.. other than what she ate and what she might have been in contact with but she was so tired and not feeling well... I didn't get very far.

She was feeling much better this morning...and she is at preschool today which means she won't be as exhausted when she gets home this aft... so hopefully we can discuss when she is home -- but hard to get "informative answers" from a 4 year old!