You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 6:37 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 1:58 pm 

In some of our stores, schools, health centres etc.(200 locations thoughout Edmonton and surrounding areas) we have a publication that is free called Edmonton's Child. I always pick it up for a browse as it's full of good info. When AC was here back in '09 they did a article on the conference. I haven't noticed anything on allergies till the other day....although I may have missed a couple of issues. They do six a year. Anyway, in the January/February 2011 issue (the Preschool Issue) there is an article. http://digital.edmontonschild.com/2011- ... chtext.xml you have to schroll down to page 29 to read it. My complaint mostly is that they never gave a place to go to get some help.

So I e-mailed them
Quote:
I was reading your January/February 2011 issue and wanted to thank you for doing a piece on allergies (page 29). A few years ago Anaphylaxis Canada was in Edmonton and you did a piece then too. I want you to know how much this means to families that live with this everyday. Seventeen years for our family, a less known allergen, egg not peanut. I did notice that a place of support was not given and am bringing that to your attention in the hopes that it could be brought forward as an issue in May again while we celebrate National Food Allergy Awareness Month. For more information please don't hesitate to contact me. I'm an Alberta mom. Not a writer but an advocate. I look forward to seeing more attention brought to this issue through great publications like yours, and would appreciate a place to go for help when newly diagnosed. Good go-to's in Canada are Anaphylaxis Canada and Allergic Living Magazine (Canadian).

Looking forward to the month of May
Thank you for your time and attention

Have not heard back, but March/April 2011 (the Health & Wellness Issue)is out now and they have this article on page 14 regarding special diets and co-parenting (so glad I didn't have to deal with this :frightened )

http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/s ... .google.ca

Hopefully, they will consider my feedback for the May/June issue. :popcorn

dh-allergy cats, bugspray and guava, outgrew egg allergy

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 8:23 pm 
Site Admin

Cool use of awareness, AA. 8)

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 1:12 pm 

Well, crap :banghead I was so hoping to give a big ole Hall of Fame...but no go....not a blurb or nothing.....oh there was an ad for a contest for some peanut free fun packs and just to really rub it in the ad starts with this "With one in 50 children allergic to peanuts, most schools in Canada now have "no peanut" policies to protect children with life-threatening allergies.. :banghead Who is that guy again who "gets no respect"? Allergies, no respect and even less if it's not peanut.

I checked to make sure I sent that e-mail (cuz I'm new at that) and I did, and I never got any response of any kind. :banghead again I hate being ignored, just being acknowledged would have been nice.

dh-allergy cats, bugspray and guava, outgrew egg allergy