You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Fri Apr 18, 2014 4:57 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 63 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Play group situation
PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 7:44 am 

Quote:
When someone smeared pb all over the handles of the cabinets in his office kitchenette as a "joke" (apparently not knowing that 2 people in his office are Ana to peanuts) he lost his mind!

:frightened OMG NOT a Joke!!! I'd have lost my mind also.

I am attempting to go back to the drop in this morning and let me add that I am NOT tongue tied this morning. DS needs to get out and in winter there aren't too many places I can take him safely. So for his sake I'm going. Oh and I'm arming myself with a lot of witty comments!!! :evil:

Outgrew eggs, fish, shellfish

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 7:52 am 
Site Admin

YGG! :swing

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 8:17 am 

Thanks Susan,
An allergy mom is very rarely caught off guard---and when we are we never let it happen twice :evil:

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 9:49 am 

BC2007 wrote:
Quote:
...Oh and I'm arming myself with a lot of witty comments!!! :evil:
:goodidea

Please do share with us afterwards. Would love to know if 'karma will get her' mom is there again and how she responds to you. Or whether the playgroup leader says anything.

Enjoy your time!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 12:34 pm 

All went well, that lady wasn't there today. :mrgreen: A friend of mine who's never been to that group before showed up , she read on my face book page I was going back this morning so she packed her little one up in the car to provide me reinforcements. :huggy

The early years staff there rotate so I know many of them. The lady in running the group today wasn't working last week but she said everyone has read my letter and they are all horrified. There is going to be a huge meeting for all staff to discuss allergies and what more needs to be done.

One thing I suggested in in my discussions this week with the head of the early years here is to have signs up on the door. There is apparently something in the brochure about early years about it being nut/tree nut free but no further signage etc. This way the door is clearly marked with a peanut/tree nut free sign. Also if there is an issue regarding a snack it gives me something to point to to back me up so it doesn't look like this is just my made up rule. A sign is also it is a great reminder in general for those bringing snacks. As of right now they are just assuming everyone knows it is peanut/tree nut free.
I did bring up in general how difficult snack time makes it for all kids with allergies but especially those children with milk allergies. I told them in my perfect world there wouldn't even be a need for a snack time. :|
The other thing the early years lady told me today is the staff will take over responsibility for the 'safe' snack table for ds. This way if someone wants to sit at the same table the early years staff will ask me if the snacks are safe and if not then they will deal with it and the confrontation won't be left up to me.

The good news, ds had a great time playing.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 1:18 pm 

Yeah!!! It is moms like you who will make such a difference to help moms in the future . :thanksign
If I were a betting person, I'd bet that person won't show her face there again, although I'm hoping that she has given some thought to her behavior and will think about this incident in the future when she is faced with challanges in her life and is a more compassionate person now....or what goes around comes around.....hope it doesn't bite her kid in butt.
I'm glad the staff is being helpful and I'm glad you have that friend that met you there today. My kids keep telling me to get on facebook or twitter or...... but to tell you the truth, I'm just happy being here.
I'm glad you both had a good day there and wish you many more. It's sounding good.

dh-allergy cats, bugspray and guava, outgrew egg allergy

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 1:45 pm 
Site Admin

BC2007 wrote:
I told them in my perfect world there wouldn't even be a need for a snack time. :|

Oh to live in that world! :happydance
Seriously, how long are you planning to stay that you need to pack a snack? :scratchy

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 8:48 pm 
Site Admin

Wow, BC2007, just read through. It's like As the PlayGroup Turns. I'm so glad you went through the 5 stages of AllergyMom life:

1. Remove child from danger / offensive stupidity.
2. Come to the Forum for group hug, feedback, steam release, think through.
3. Plan response, write letters because you know you have to effect change.
4. Win new safety measures for all kids with allergies. (Because you're an awesome allergy mom.)
5. Forum group hug for success. And a victory dance. :banana :banana

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 8:52 pm 
Site Admin

Tiffrench - quite the stories too.

Quote:
"Yes, I am that Mom".

That could be the motto of these boards. :thumbsup

As for peanut butter smearers at husband's office: It must have been all he could do to not fire one of the comedians on the spot.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 9:38 pm 

Quote:
Wow, BC2007, just read through. It's like As the PlayGroup Turns. I'm so glad you went through the 5 stages of AllergyMom life:

1. Remove child from danger / offensive stupidity.
2. Come to the Forum for group hug, feedback, steam release, think through.
3. Plan response, write letters because you know you have to effect change.
4. Win new safety measures for all kids with allergies. (Because you're an awesome allergy mom.)
5. Forum group hug for success. And a victory dance.

Gwen that is AWESOME!!! It applies to every single amazing allergy mom (dad) I've met on this forum. And you are so right about #2, whenever something happens good, bad or ugly the first thing I HAVE to do when I get home is share with my A.L. friends. I think I am going to embroider this on a pillow. :lol:

...hence my question on 'other topics' about meditation/relaxation ideas. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 11:41 pm 
Site Admin

Ommm. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 1:55 pm 

Good for you, BC. Glad there is a happy ending!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 4:13 pm 

BC2007 --- may be odd to say, but from one allergy mom to another - I am so proud of you!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2011 8:23 am 

Walooet, thank you for your kind words. :huggy

I really must give credit for my actions to all my friends here on the forum. I was a frantic panicked, over reactive mess 3 years ago. I have learned from you all how to articulate my thoughts in a way which is beneficial for not just ds' s needs in a particular situation but in a way that will help all allergic children. I have learned from you all that it is best to explain, educate, ask and not tell or demand.....I have learned to pull back my emotions as it won't accomplish anything productive........ even when all I want to do is dust off my special edition volume 'the truckers guide to adjectives' and when every part of me is screaming inside 'charge - attack' :mrgreen: .

I still have my melt downs for sure but when I know when I do I will receive support here on the forum (judgment free :huggy ) making it easier to get through the hard days.

I know that there are others on the forum continually making a difference for the allergic community. I'm proud when I can help put my own footprint on change (better a foot print for change than a footprint on someones , um, lets call it a behind :D ). Tempting at times, productive - no!

Allergy issues shouldn't have to be this difficult BUT since they are (at times)....I'll make a toast to baby steps. ..again, where is the wine chugging smilie Travis. Do I need to start a petition ????? :rofl :rofl

Last edited by BC2007 on Fri Mar 18, 2011 7:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2011 10:04 am 
Site Admin

:huggy We all have times when we want to rant, rave and stomp our feet but, that will not serve our needs.

Here, we can vent, organize our thoughts and prepare a plan that will help us toward our goals.

I cannot imagine how parents managed before.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 63 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next