You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 9:07 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Another one..
PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 4:45 pm 

Last week we added chick peas to the list of allergies.. I put some hummus on her sandwich and her lips were HUGE and red and looked like they were going to explode and she was turning red and bawling saying "boo-boo!" over and over. I felt so bad, the epi-pen was enough to bring it down and they didn't need to give her anything else in the hospital, but i'm so bummed. This is a vegan hummus i've had before and I like and she has sesame in my stir fry sauce, so it's not that. Ugh.. I must have a ton of medic alert bracelets with innacurate info on them, and the more allergies we add, the less likely she is to ever get into daycare.. Are chick peas hidden in anything do you think, or are they generally well labeled?

Post subject: Re: Another one..
PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 5:24 pm 

I'm so sorry. They aren't hidden in many things, but do go by a few different names: Garbanzo Beans and Gram Flour are the 2 that spring to mind. Some of the whole grain pastas (Barilla Plus?) may have some of the flour, and it is a common ingredient in East Indian food, although I imagine your daughter isn't having much of that.

Is there any chance that it was caused by something else in the hummus? I make my own with just chickpeas, olive oil and spices. I worry about cross contamination, esp since so many health/organic foods have products with nuts/peanuts.

Just checked, and Barilla Plus does have chickpeas in the pasta flour... http://www.barillaus.com/Pages/Product- ... ?brandID=5

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 6:25 pm 
Site Admin

Sorry to see you've had to add another food. These are the difficult years, introductions of new foods = potential reactions. :huggy

Peas and beans are related to peanuts so becareful about adding any until you'se contacted her allergist. Chickpea flour is an ingredient somoe products. We can't have Daiya because of pea protien but that might be different from chickpeas....I guess all I can say is read, read, read.

Don't worry about her getting into a daycare, it more of a worry what she'll get into at daycare. When you find the right daycare, one that gets it and you feel you can communicate with, it will be fine.

On the positive note, it sounds as if you responded appropriately! :thumbsup :banana

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 8:26 pm 

Cauger, :huggy So glad that everything turned out ok, I"m sure your mommy anxiety is up a bit right now though. How is DD doing? Even though she has had sesame be careful until tested in case she has developed an allergy to sesame. I am thankful that it looks like we now know all DS's allergies (fingers crossed/knock on wood). From 6 months old to 2 1/2 were the worst years ever as it seemed like every time we did try something new DS had a severe reaction. The worst part was when we couldn't tell exactly what it was he reacted . The unknown was by far the worst part, I didn't care if he had 20 allergies if I could just know what they were so I wasn't accidently making him sick by feeding him something new. I totally understand what you are going through - as do all the mommies on the forum (and daddies). HUGS and it does get easier. I am sorry it does look like your DD has added another allergy. :huggy

We discovered green peas and chick peas early on also (we now must avoid all pea/lentil legumes). I would also caution you to avoid ALL pea legumes as they share a similar protein. DS had reactions to green peas and chick peas so our allergist said there is almost 100% chance he will react in the same way to all pea legumes. Lentils have almost an identical protein to pea legumes which is why we also must avoid those. Bean have a different protein and DS is able to tolerate beans with no issue.

As Becky mentioned there are some pasta's now including legume flour but I assume that all would be clearly labeled. Hopefully! The good news is that I have never had found any problem avoiding peas in general.

We had the same issue with medic alert bracelets. I had to order a new one as DS kept accumulating allergies and then outgrew a few. It was worth updating it for my peace of mind.

We also make awesome hummus now with Sunbutter and white kidney beans. We call it a one beer hummus because although it tastes very similar to my old hummus recipe after one beer it tastes exactly the same. :lol:

Outgrew eggs, fish, shellfish

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 9:43 am 

I had contacted the company before giving it to her (the hummus) and the only allergen it contains is sesame. I'm so confused as well because she's had lentils before, she eats peas (but isn't fond of them). It's been a while since she's had lentils, so i'll avoid giving those to her again for a while. It's going tp be until april when we get a confirmation, I doubt I can avoid foods that "may contain" sesame, but I wont directly give her anything with it in it just in case, but if theres another reaction to something that "may contain" sesame, I figure that that is all figured out. I wish medic alert had a "frequent buyer" plan.. buy 5 get the 6th free? :rofl I'm starting to wonder how they weill fit it all on the tiny little medallion soon.. The funny part is she hasn't worn any of the ones I bought her from before, because her wrists are too tiny and I keep getting the wrong size... (I figure when I finally get the bracelet right I'll send it back to add on or take off links to make it fit properly, we just keep adding new things..)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 10:30 am 

If DD is already eating lentils/peas I wouldn't cut them out of her diet. I personally would keep feeding them to her. It could be a reaction to some thing else she ate/touched (delayed reaction) or to cross contamination in the hummus, an allergy to just chick pea or that she has dev. a sesame allergy?? Either way if she is eating foods with no reactions such as peas/lentils I personally would see no need to limit her diet.
Ah, they need to add super sleuth to the allergy mom definition. :wink:

We decide on engraving on DS's 'newest' :roll: medic alert bracelet

Rx EPIPEN
Asthma
Anaphylaxis to
peanuts, tree nuts,
sesame, gelatin
and others.

The others covers all else without needing a new bracelet every time. :freak

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 1:02 pm 

BC, I agree...and I think you have the medic alert covered. We replaced DD's chain once at a jewellers and he had a very good idea, which we had him do. He built up the holes on the medallion so they wear better. It has worked great, I totally forgot about doing that... I should go thank him.

Cauger, :huggy to you and yours.

dh-allergy cats, bugspray and guava, outgrew egg allergy

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 6:27 pm 

Went to the allergist today, brought some of the hummus and the printout the company sent me with the full allergen chart, so they did the tests for her other allergies (milk/egg/beef - they forego peanut) and they also tested for lentils, chick pea and sesame. There was a small reaction to lentil, but they said it was pretty much like the control, so nothing to be worried about, but sesame was HUGE! Chick pean didn't react at all, and also the beef spot was fine as well, so we can reintroduce beef, but now we're told to avoid sesame. She said the bread I have been using should be fine, even though it "may contain sesame" since I have been using it for a long time. I was shocked honestly, because she eats buns sometimes with sesame seeds on it, but the allergist explained that the seeds are hard to break down, and mostly pass through whole, and since it's probably the oil that is the issue, that the seeds themselves aren't so bad in her case since she's already had them whole. Of course i'm supposed to avoid breads and buns with sesame seeds on them now just in case, but now i need to look out on sauces and things like that more, to make sure they don't use sesame oil.

Also, the egg spot looked great deal smaller, so they booked us for a baked egg challenge in May.. things are looking up in some ways and down in others. Only time will tell I guess!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 7:18 pm 

I'm glad you were able to see the allergist relatively quickly. I guess that is good on the lentil/chick pea, great news so far on the possibility of having out grown egg...not so good with the sesame.
At least you know what the culprit was as the not knowing can drive you crazy. You know what to avoid now so that will make things a little easier.

Be careful as almost all crackers have a may contain for sesame, even peanut free ones. Yet if you are already eating may contains for sesame this might not be an issue, hopefully.

:huggy

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 12:53 pm 

Cauger, how are you finding avoiding sesame? If you need any help finding sesame safe products just ask. :huggy

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 1:30 pm 
Site Admin

Cauger, sorry to hear about the sesame.

In case it's helpful, check the sesame section we have started on this site - under the green Food Allergy tab.