You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Thu Sep 18, 2014 10:10 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 116 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next
PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 9:22 am 

http://www.clickorlando.com/news/27139755/detail.html

:frightened :frightened 2011 discrimination...this would not be accepted over a racial issue or a child who is autistic. WHY is this allowed, such disgusting behavior from staff, parents, over allergies. Why the heck is an anaphylactic allergy referred to as RARE???????

Quote:
Parents said they feel their children are being stripped of their classroom rights and the girl's condition also prevents students from having holiday parties in the classroom with outside food.
"They shouldn't have to lose out on what they should be able to experience at school," Carrie Starkey said.
Parents said all the rules are taking time out of the learning process, and they protested Thursday morning outside the school with signs.

"On average, it's probably a good 30 minutes taken out of the day. That's my child's education. Thirty minutes could be a whole subject," Starkey said.

Outgrew eggs, fish, shellfish

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 11:51 am 

OMG. :verymad

Parents are protesting???

How is this possible? This is not a new thing. Kids have been attending schools with life-threatening allergies for years now, and the article makes it sound like the school and the parents of the child are following usual procedures. Unbelievable.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 12:12 pm 

:verymad I hope this family has a good support system, they are in for some rough times, I'm afraid.
I am not surprised though that this has happened. There are a lot of uninformed and selfish people out there....and like that one commenter said, "stupidity is not a hidden disablility".

dh-allergy cats, bugspray and guava, outgrew egg allergy

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 12:21 pm 

http://www.cfnews13.com/article/news/20 ... protesting

Check out these pictures.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 2:10 pm 

:scratchy What's with the no dogs sign? There must be more to this story.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 2:53 pm 
Site Admin

Apparently, they had a peanut sniffing dog in the school at some time.
I spoke to FAAN, they are supporting the 1st grader's family and preparing a statement.

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 3:05 pm 

No matter the outcome I would never return my child to this school, even out of principle. It is a mob mentality fueled by ignorance.

Is there a place we can send letters of support to this family?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 3:29 pm 

BC2007 wrote:
No matter the outcome I would never return my child to this school, even out of principle. It is a mob mentality fueled by ignorance.

Is there a place we can send letters of support to this family?

I totally agree, BC. ....and I think this happens a lot more than we know...I often wonder how many parents have decided to home school because of things like this. Good idea on the letters, I was thinking of sending something to the school, maybe to pass on to them? or maybe write the news that is reporting it? I always wonder what happens afterwards. Like that family on the ferry here in Canada, does that mother know this forum is here? I once phoned a lady in Newfoundland after reading an article on-line about troubles she was having and called Allergic Living to pay for a subscription to send her. They (Allerigic Living) sent it but wouldn't accept my payment for it. I forgot about that, :thanksign A.L. :huggy It makes such a difference when you know you have support.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 4:13 pm 

Quote:
I once phoned a lady in Newfoundland after reading an article on-line about troubles she was having and called Allergic Living to pay for a subscription to send her. They (Allerigic Living) sent it but wouldn't accept my payment for it.

I am so proud to be connected even in this small way to a company (aka family) like Allergic Living. That is very touching and remarkable, thank you Allergic Living.

I can't believe how many allergic parents I meet by chance who have never heard of A.L., how is that possible. Allergists need to do a better job of directing people to this forum/magazine. There should be a standard A.L. brochure passed out with every initial allergy consultation.

I am going to write a letter to this family tonight....where to send it I'll figure out later.
I feel like I'm seeing something from the 50's, racial riots but instead it is allergies in question. I pray this little girl is not aware of how much hatred is being directed at her.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 5:07 pm 

http://www.volusia.com/edgewater/index.htm
Quote:
Edgewater’s quiet, small town charm has earned the title of The Hospitality City.

I'm not positive this is the town, but if it is, apparently those protesting parents haven't heard about this.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 11:57 pm 

http://www.cfnews13.com/article/news/20 ... protesting
Quote:
They said a peanut sniffing dog will go through the school on Friday to help clean the school down. Spring Break begins Friday for these students.

Maybe cooler heads will prevail when they come back after spring break....
Check out that poll "Do you agree with the school district’s response to the student’s peanut allergy?" No 79% ?? :frightened

Quote:
"You can't take peanut butter and jelly away or any right away from my child. You can't do that," said Yvonne McDaniel, a parent.
This is just awful.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 12:22 am 

http://allergickid.blogspot.com/ Today's Lesson: Hate and Intolerance
Quote:
The one sliver of good news in the middle of all this hatred is that Tracey's daughter happened to be home sick for yesterday's protests. Her parents decided to keep her home today, as well, upon learning about today's planned picket. So she missed school to protect her from these parents' outrageous, bullying behavior. Fortunately she also missed an opportunity to watch the news coverage with her classmates when the teacher decided to show it on television today.
:banghead

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 8:04 am 
Site Admin

Quote:
We support this little girl 110%, but we also support our children...

Protesting parent.
Support your childrens' right to pb&jam, cupcakes etc...and still support this little girl 110% wow that's quite a lot of percents. :scratchy

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 8:38 am 

I can't believe the anger being directed at this family.

Someone needs to do a doctoral thesis on the mental/emotional attachment to pb&j. The funny thing (not funny ha ha) is the responses over the years are never over the nutritional benefits or the convenience of pb. Instead the responses are purely reactive, anger/resentment. There are major issues going on in the world which hardly get an eyebrow raised, bring up pb and OMG!!!!

This entire situation makes me more sad than anything. Sad for society in general. What happened to empathy, caring, celebrating differences. I know this school doesn't represent everyone everywhere but it does seem to be the tip of the ice burg. There does seem to be a current trend of less tolerance. Of course there are always amazingly wonderful people, that I will say. But try reading the comments on ANY news story. People seem to feel fit to say anything that is on their mind with no filter - and that has somehow become acceptable??

So have people's perceptions really changed over the years or have they just been well hidden to be pc???

Last edited by BC2007 on Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 4:43 pm 

Just because you can say it, doesn't mean you should. --- for who knows what reasons, there have been many changes in society that are not pleasant and I wish that people would heed the "just because" comment.

http://www.cfnews13.com/video?clip=http ... ontroversy

Good in this video - the 8 year old boy's expression when he says "they say put me in another class so they can eat peanut butter" - if the protesters don't get that then there is little hope
Bad in the video - the boy's mother saying he will die in an instant if he gets any peanut product

Oh, I wish that I was in Florida and could help support those kids with allergies.

It is just crazy that the protesters think their kids 'right' to PB&J and parties is more important than a child's safety. :dungetit Unbelievable. :verymad

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 116 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next