You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 11:37 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 105 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 9:03 pm 

:happydance :banana :bouncyblue :bouncygreen Way to go everyone! Thank you Gwen, and to the entire Allergic Living community, Anaphylaxis Canada, etc. etc.

12 yr old son: allergic to peanuts, tree nuts, eggs, fish, sesame, sunflower, mustard, poppy seeds, green peas, some fruits, instructed to avoid all other legumes (except soy & green beans), pollen, cats, horses

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 8:25 am 

Quote:

Drum roll....

The Allergen/Gluten Regs are now ... THE LAW!!!

When I read the word LAW I have to be honest, my eyes teared up.
Thank you Gwen, Allergic Living and Anaphylaxis Canada for never giving up and for giving us the direction we needed to keep the lobbying alive.
:thanksign

Outgrew eggs, fish, shellfish

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 11:12 pm 

yes, I'm so glad there are groups capable of organizing these things. I'm no organizer, but I'm willing to join in when it's something I believe in. And that doesn't necessarily mean it has to benefit me personally.

when I first got on board with this, I didn't actually think it was going to make a difference for ME. But, after reading the law, I think it actually will. Bonus! :P

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 1:04 pm 

Canadian Allergy society pleased with food labeling changes
http://www.potatopro.com/Lists/News/Dis ... px?ID=4950
This is a good article...but....what really got my attention is the lower right hand corner under more news on allergens. What a long list!

dh-allergy cats, bugspray and guava, outgrew egg allergy

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 2:14 pm 

Our local newspaper covered the passing of the legislation. The same reporter interviewed us earlier in the fall. She took a real interest in the story. We are very grateful for the coverage and her support. This article appeared just below the fold of the front page yesterday.

http://www.northumberlandtoday.com/Arti ... &e=2992311

I also received a call this week from another allergy mom in our area who read the first article. Her daughter is newly diagnosed and she was looking for information and support. When I contacted the newspaper initially about the lobby for labels story I didn't expect much response but I have been surprised by the interest. My story suggestion sparked 2 front pages articles and many conversations with friends, coworkers, acquaintances and even now people I don't know. I was nervous about putting our family's story out there for people to read and comment on but now I see that it was definitely worth the risk.

I think another positive consequence of the whole lobby for labels campaign is the education that has occurred about anaphylaxis. Many more people outside of the allergy community now know more about anaphylaxis and our daily efforts to live with allergies.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 1:48 am 

That is a good article. I really liked your quotes katec. :thumbsup

Did you notice the mercury is still rising on the thermometer? So cool! http://www.allergicliving.com/petitions/food-labelling/

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 7:02 pm 

The thermometer is at 4823 today, I keep checking it and it keeps going up. 8)

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 9:01 pm 
Site Admin

:happydance

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 12:17 pm 

The count is at 4857 today, still a trickle. :)
viewtopic.php?f=31&t=6474
Susan, you said
Quote:
The new label laws will have clearer labels for what the companies put into the product but not for the may contains.

We still have a ways to go.

Yesterday I received a letter from my M.P. in the snail mail, not dated....don't know why not the e-mail. Anyway, I must get my ds to teach me to scan. In the meantime, I'm freshening this up.
Here is part of what I sent (Feb. 01) and then I will just type out the response. I'm old school and a quick typist. ...good practice.
Quote:
Hi Rona, You may remember me, we met at the Emergency Services Protection Picnic in Stony Plain a couple of years ago. We discussed anaphylaxis in Alberta schools, it was shortly after you had been diagnosed with a bee sting allergy.
My daughter has a life-threatening allergy to eggs. As I am sure you are aware, there are regulations sitting in Ottawa as we speak that will greatly help keep her and others in Canada with food allergies as well as people with celiac disease safe. Please don't let industry take precidence over our loved ones lives. Unlike Ontario, Alberta does not have "Sabrina's Law" to help keep children safe at school and the more obstacles out of our way to do that the better.

I would also like to direct your attention to the Allergic Living magazine. Since you have a life-threatening allergy, you will certainly find it interesting and helpful not only as my member of parliment in Ottawa as well as on a personal note. My family finds it both.

This is back at me...I also got a picture of Ms. Ambrose in front of a huge Canadian flag, I guess that's the reason for the envelope.
Quote:
Thank you for taking the time to write to me regarding food labelling regulations. I appreciate the opportunity to respond.

I appreciate your point that it can be difficult for individuals with serious food allegies and annaphylaxis to avoid specific foods and ingredients that could make them sick.

You can be assured that our Conservative government is working to improve the lives of Canadians dealing with food alleries and anaphylaxis. To this end, our government has proposed amendments to the Food and Drug Regulations (FDR) which aim to minimize the risks associated with inadvertent consumption of undeclared priority alloergens, and to maximize the choice of safe and nutritious foods for those with dietary restrictions.

The process to develop these regulations has been extremely complex requiring extensive scientific review and consultations with the food industry and communities with allergies and food intolererances. For these reasons, the development of these amendments to the FDR has taken longer than opriginally anticipated.

Our government has placed a high priority on the "Enhanced Labelling for Food Allergen and Gluton Sources and Added Sulfhites" regulatory amendments and we continue to work to ensure that final amendments are published in the Canada Gazette Part ll as soon as possible.

It may also interest you to know that our Goverment recognizes that respiratory conditions, including asthma, allergies, and anaphylaxis are important public health issues. That is why our Conservative Government is investing $10 million over three years in the Lung Health Program to reduce the impact and potential risks from the environment on lung health, and to improve the awareness of prevention, early detection, and management of lung diseases.

I hope this information is helpful. Thank you for taking the time to write.

Signed by Hon. Rona Ambrose, P.C., M.P.

Also, handwritten - Michele - thank you for your passion of the issue - I hope this helps. R.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 2:52 pm 
Site Admin

Quote:
To this end, our government has proposed amendments to the Food and Drug Regulations (FDR) which aim to minimize the risks associated with inadvertent consumption of undeclared priority allergens, and to maximize the choice of safe and nutritious foods for those with dietary restrictions.

Well that sounds like precautionary labelling doesn't it?

But
Quote:
It is not Health Canada's intent that these regulatory amendments will apply to food allergens or gluten that may be present in a prepackaged product as a result of cross-contamination.
http://www.hc-sc.gc.ca/fn-an/label-etiquet/allergen/project_1220_rias_eeir-eng.php

This is a separate issue in HC's eyes. In my eyes, it is very much connected. :banghead

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 11:38 pm 

We support companies that label clearly - not only the allergens but the ease of reading them (e.g., there is a bread with yellow print on a clear bag which I will not buy) - and more importantly, companies that consistently label for May Contains. I am again writing to those companies and letting them know it.

If the laws do not include May Contains on labels then I can 'vote' with my wallet by supporting the companies that do it.

I have not had a beer since the beer industry caused this ruckus and while my measly non-consumption won't make a difference, it does let me 'vote' on it by not even opening my wallet! And I can educate others along the way.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 8:23 pm 

Quote:
If the laws do not include May Contains on labels then I can 'vote' with my wallet by supporting the companies that do it.
:thumbsup

I agree, I also send letters to thank companies who do label accurately and fully. And similar to what Walooet said, the wallet and where I spend my $ is the bottom line.

Outgrew eggs, fish, shellfish

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 12:54 am 

alberta advocate wrote:
Canadian Allergy society pleased with food labeling changes
http://www.potatopro.com/Lists/News/Dis ... px?ID=4950
This is a good article...but....what really got my attention is the lower right hand corner under more news on allergens. What a long list!

editing this - I wish I had of copy and pasted that list - now it's gone....wonder what it was? things that make me go hmmmm.

edit to the edit --thermometer @ 4924 maybe it'll get to the top :bouncyblue I'd just love to see that. I would definitely have a drink to celebrate... :abduct :banana .....not a beer though...and darn I miss beer bread

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 10:40 am 

I see the "more news on allergies" list on that page. It's all recalls right now.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 1:41 pm 
Site Admin

Try this http://www.csaci.ca/index.php?page=546

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 105 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7