You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Tue Jul 29, 2014 10:46 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Anyone know the stats?
PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 1:50 am 

Does anyone know what portion of the general population gets tested for food allergies by an allergist? And, of those tested, what proportion of them are diagnosed as "severe"?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 5:42 pm 

I do not know what % of the general population gets tested for food allergies but an IgE food allergy can not be diagnosed by testing alone. Tests have a huge false positive rate. The false positive rate is at least 50% and maybe much higher. One recent study found well over 80% of people who tested positive to various foods could safely eat those foods. Diagnosis a food allergy has to be done based on history of past reactions and test results taken together.

Tests also can't tell who has a more severe food allergy. A low test does not indicate a less severe allergy and a high test does not indicate a more severe allergy. People can test low and even negative and have anaphylaxis to a food and people can test very strongly positive and not react.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 5:04 pm 

Wise words.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 5:39 pm 

We never had dd "tested" till she was about 11 years old....and when I did, against my better judgement, wished I hadn't put her through that when we knew what the result would be :banghead The allergist got my momguilt juices running with "how would you feel if you've been restricting her diet for nothing?" Really, we could have just waved an egg under her nose and she could have told us....we'd had enough trips to the hospital by then....so I think those stats would be very misleading in more ways than one.

What stat I would be more interested in would be the #'s in schools. how many, to what, incidents at schools, # of times epi is administered, etc.

dh-allergy cats, bugspray and guava, outgrew egg allergy

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 1:08 am 

Here's an interesting stathttp://www.chicagotribune.com/news/ ... 2953.story
Quote:
About 1 in 25 school-age children has food allergies, and 16 percent to 18 percent have had a reaction in school, according to the American Academy of Pediatrics.

dh-allergy cats, bugspray and guava, outgrew egg allergy