You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Sun Nov 23, 2014 11:03 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 8:53 pm 

....if only motion 504 http://www.assembly.ab.ca/ISYS/LADDAR_f ... 01_han.pdf (page 29 of 40) would have passed here in Alberta, I would know the answer to this.
I am wondering what this will do to help the cause we have here in Alberta. I am going to have to read the hansard carefully. If I'm not mistaken, didn't the amendment have something to do with who wins this card game when if comes to federal or provincial? Who has trump? If the federal doesn't overrule the province then Sabrina's Law won't be here, which really makes no sense, buit then this whole thing has not made much sense here. I wish I knew a lawyer that was interested in this for personal reasons instead of political and would work for nothing but the passion.

I know this should be reason to celebrate....but...neither Alberta Health & Wellness nor Alberta Education want this....I think the teachers' union rules this province when it comes to this issue and they all make it quite clear they are not on board....

dh-allergy cats, bugspray and guava, outgrew egg allergy

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 9:43 pm 

I assumed everything talked about would benefit all provinces.
The push for better labeling, a certain logo to determine that a product is in fact allergen safe if there is no may conatin, the size of print for ingredients, the need for more education, research $ , the need for reasonable prescriptions costs, the right to safe travel, are in fact allergy aware for may contains, import goods, etc.. A few MP's even talked about why it has taken so long for this issue to get the attention it deserves.

If this bill is passed doesn't all of this affect the country and not just by province??????

Outgrew eggs, fish, shellfish

Last edited by BC2007 on Tue Mar 22, 2011 7:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 11:09 pm 

thank you Susan. I had searched and was unable to find anything.

The link you provided does make one thing I heard make sense. One person suggested an amendment, and the Speaker(?? The person sitting in the big chair behind the pages) said something about it being up to the person making the motion whether or not to make the amendment. I thought that was odd. usually a Bill goes to committee for amendments. but, reading that link it says "In 1913, the Standing Orders were amended to specify that all motions were to be decided without debate or amendment unless specifically recognized as debatable in the text of the rule.[15] The Standing Orders therefore list those motions which are debatable and state that all others, unless otherwise provided for in the Standing Orders, are to be decided without debate or amendment"

so, it sounds like this could be faster then a Bill....but I won't hold my breath.

~~~

this is Federal, so the entire country, not just some provinces. Education is one of the things they talked about, and I think that included educating schools.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 11:48 pm 

AnnaMarie wrote:
this is Federal, so the entire country, not just some provinces. Education is one of the things they talked about, and I think that included educating schools.

Education and health care are both run by the provincial government, I believe.

Is this the motion or policy items or what? http://www.nask.ca/files/5-Point%20Poli ... %20546.pdf I wish that the hansard was available now.

What exactly is the amendment? and who brought it up?

Aw, darn, confused again. :scratchy and how come most of the time was spent on labelling issues?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 12:21 am 

alberta advocate wrote:
What exactly is the amendment? and who brought it up?

found the answer to my ??
The amendment was brought up by Eve-Mary Thai Thi Lac, Saint-Hyacanthe-Bagot, Qc, Bloc Quebecois,
Quote:
...unfortunately, these measures must be taken only in areas of federal juristiction, health and social services are areas of provincial juristiction and Quebec juristiction exclusively.

She said a lot of stuff that I didn't get....but I'm not sure about all this....and I think education is included with health and social services, but it just didn't get mentioned....still confused. :scratchy

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 7:49 am 
Site Admin

Here is the transcript:
http://www2.parl.gc.ca/HousePublication ... Id=5039495

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 7:55 am 

I don't think the motion referred to education in the schools. I think it was referring to educating people in general. currently one of the things the government is educating people about is colon cancer. there are ads on tv, flyers delivered when you reach 50 years old, etc. another, is about kids needing exercise (at least an hour a day).

proper term is "Awareness Campaign". And includes (specifically) targeting childcare, first responders, workplace.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 8:05 am 

Quote:
I think it was referring to educating people in general. currently one of the things the government is educating people about is colon cancer. there are ads on tv, flyers delivered when you reach 50 years old, etc. another, is about kids needing exercise (at least an hour a day).
proper term is "Awareness Campaign". And includes (specifically) targeting childcare, first responders, workplace.
Thanks Anna Marie, that makes sense.

This to be honest this adult/general population is a target where so much more awareness/education is needed. Schools are becoming (some more slowly than others) better at anaphylaxis awareness, tweens/teens are growing up more aware of anaphylaxsis...BUT it is the adults who I find have zero clue about anaphylaxis.
A niece of a friend went to a movie (her niece has allergies), she had an anaphylactic reaction in the theatre, it was her friend who administered her the epipen and called an ambulance. Apparently the adults in the theatre were of the least amount of help. So i'm all for ANY kind of awareness/education not just for allergies but for so many diseases,conditions etc..
Just the fact that the MP's were in agreement yesterday , an hour or parliament was spent talking about anaphylaxis and that the MP's who did speak really did seem to have a grasp on a broad range of anaphylaxis issues was exciting for me.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 8:10 am 

found the debate.

http://tiny.cc/kcodj

Links don't always work from my iPad, so I made a tiny URL. If that doesn't work, search Hansard debates, and read March 21.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 10:38 am 

:thanksign everyone, it seems the more I learn about the government stuff, the more I get confused, and then, to top it off, I am not very trusting of polititians anymore. To tell the truth I haven't spent much time eductating myself on this particular motion as I was spending time on provincial matters - hence the not very trusting part.....and I'm still not very sure about how this will affect things here in different parts of Canada where we don't have a "Sabrina's Law" like in Ontario. Over all, I think this will be used by the provincial government hereas another reason why we don't need it (Sabrina's Law)....although I am glad it will get the message out to the public....I don't see any changes to the responsibilities of the school boards or Alberta Education......and the "safe and caring" part in the Alberta School Act is a very broad statement. :roll:

Anyway, we'll see and learn more. I wish Rona Ambrose would speak, she packs - allergy to bee stings.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 11:26 am 

I have to add that I was happy that the MP's all referred to this as an issue about anaphylaxis and that the topic didn't become about peanut allergies. So many times people only think peanuts when they think anaphyylaxis and that makes it automatically more of a school age issue.
I was also pleased how many speakers referred to a broad array of anaphylaxis everything from exciercise, latex, sulphites, peanuts, tree nuts, milk, insect stings ,medicine and celiac were all brought up. It also helped that Megan Leslie mentioned how anaphylaxis although most commonly diagnosed in childhood can also be adult onset. Again, it shows the great spectrum of people that are affected by anaphylaxis.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 2:43 pm 
Site Admin

Exactly! :thumbsup

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 9:52 pm 
Site Admin

Next...

Quote:
On or after Tuesday, April 5, 2011 — Resuming consideration of the motion of Mr. Allison (Niagara West—Glanbrook), seconded by Mr. Dykstra (St. Catharines), — That, in the opinion of the House, anaphylaxis is a serious concern for an increasing number of Canadians and the government should take the appropriate measures necessary to ensure these Canadians are able to maintain a high quality of life;

Debate — 1 hour remaining, pursuant to Standing Order 93(1).
Voting — at the expiry of the time provided for debate, pursuant to Standing Order 93(1).

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 9:58 pm 

Here is the Hansard link to the debate on Anaphylaxis Motion M-546 in the House of Commons yesterday.

http://www2.parl.gc.ca/HousePublication ... OB-3811430

With respect to the debate:

The Motion must receive one more hour of debate - our hope is, in May (Food Allergy Awareness Month). Following the next debate, a vote will be taken. At the moment, the Motion has all-party support. The suggested amendment by the Bloc will be considered the next time the Motion is debated in the House.

If an election is called, the good news is that we have this on record and can now refer to it when speaking in Ottawa to MPs and to Health Canada. There was a stated commitment by ALL Parties to work towards solutions outlined in the 5 points.

We are waiting to see what happens next before making concrete plans for next steps. In the meantime, across Canada support via MP's is vital. Determining federal/provincial responsibilities will be an outcome of passing the Motion.

Cindy Paskey

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 1:24 am 
Site Admin

Cindy, thanks for stopping in to clarify - and for all your efforts on this motion and raising anaphylaxis awareness among Cdns.

Can you help us to follow: if the motion passes (as we all hope), what would that mean?