You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Fri Sep 19, 2014 8:20 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 8:52 am 

Quote:
The transportation giant has always operated its medical procedure on one assumption - a licensed B.C. doctor is on board.

With over 2,000 people on each sailing ferry staff don't usually have a problem finding a physician, in fact often they see "one or two or three doctors come forward," said ferry spokeswoman Deborah Marshall.

But on March 4, 2009, when a 14-year-old girl went into anaphylactic shock in the middle of the Georgia Strait, there were no doctors on board. The one thing she needed most to survive, no one had the authority to administer.

Michelle Chowns remembers that day with clarity, because when the ferry docked two years ago, paramedics said her daughter was minutes away from dying.

It was a close call she doesn't want to see repeated, but despite her best efforts to advocate for better training or new policy, B.C. Ferries continues to stand behind its medical procedure.

http://www.canada.com/nearly+fatal+flaw ... story.html

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 9:32 am 

Quote:
Incident reports from B.C. Ferries say Cheyanne had trouble breathing and was brought to the first aid room. Her tongue, lips and throat were swollen and a rash had spread from her chest and neck down to her arms.

Her limbs had also gone numb.

The chief steward paged passengers to see if any doctors were on board, but on that day, no one answered the call.

Staff has an emergency kit with the epinephrine Cheyanne needed, but without a doctor, the only thing they could do was give her oxygen and an antihistamine until paramedics took over in Nanaimo

I just don't get it. If someone needed CPR or had a bad cut and needed pressure on the injury site would we just stand by and say, oh well, here's the first aid kit but I'm waiting for the ok to use it. I'm curious if such senarios are similar for a diabetic person. If there is insulin available in a first aid situation and someone is diabetic and needs insulin do others also wait to administer it or do they go ahead and give it to the person?

Outgrew eggs, fish, shellfish

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 10:29 am 

Is there a Good Samaritan's law in BC? Isn't that where a stranger helps someone in need of first aid but can't be charged for negligence?

The epi-pen has instructions on it!

If they called 911, they would be talked through the procedure.

Yet another story of a 13-15 year old girl needing her epi-pen. I cannot wait until my teen turns 16 :?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 12:07 pm 
Site Admin

Quote:
There are no contraindications to using epinephrine for a life-threatening allergic reaction.
http://www.allergysafecommunities.ca/pa ... atsubid=19

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 12:09 pm 

http://www.bclaws.ca/EPLibraries/bclaws ... 0_96172_01 Here is the B.C. Good Sam Act

This family sounds like ours, and yours and anybodies. You just never know. We can all so learn from this.
I so feel for this mom.

Quote:
It was the last thing Chowns expected to hear because doctors had never flagged her daughter, Cheyanne, as at risk for an allergic reaction. She was tested every six months. The teen had even eaten nuts before and never had the run of symptoms that were spreading rapidly throughout her body - from swelling and nausea to running eyes and nose.

When her daughters' guardian called to tell her what was happening, Chowns immediately gave permission for her daughter to have epinephrine. The symptoms were all too familiar having dealt with the reactions in her anaphylactic son.

A lot of people on board. I wonder who was the guardian? Very scary all around. There were probably lots of epi pens on board, just no one knew out in the public, I guess.

dh-allergy cats, bugspray and guava, outgrew egg allergy

Last edited by alberta advocate on Wed Mar 02, 2011 12:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 12:21 pm 

If this were a card game, I guess work policy trumps the act? :scratchy

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 2:48 pm 

BC Ferries should follow WestJet's lead with access to the medical help which in the article said is for "sea and air". For anaphylactic reaction, why not say "Do we have a child care provider or teacher on board?" Chances are they would know how to administer an epi-pen!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 4:13 pm 

I think that one of the problems with the ferries, is that they are stocked similar to an ambulance (or at least they used to be), with VIALS of epinephrine and needles, NOT epipens. In the case of an epipen, extremely simple to give - not so simple with a vial and a needle, especially if you need to calculate the appropriate dose. As we all know, the epipens have a dose range for weights, but you sure could give someone a honkin big dose of epinephrine from a vial......

DD (2003)- ana to mosquitos (risk all stinigng insects)

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 4:20 pm 

Very good point. In 1981, I had an adrenalin kit which had two single doses of epinephrine with a needle. I would think the ferries could have that rather than a big bottle of epinephrine which they would have to figure out the correct dose.

The ferries carry a lot of people and a lot of food. With the mobility of passengers, I expect the likelihood of a reaction is as high as that of an airplane.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 7:41 am 

From her symptoms and what they told her mom she was, well, very close to dying. So this being a life and death situation why didn't the ferries announce they had a passenger in anaphylactic shock, would any passengers having an epipen please come to .....! If her guardian was there all the passenger with the epipen would have to do is ask this person for permission (if the guardian was worried about permission at this point) and jab!
I mean, life and death, not - give oxygen, cross fingers and hope that a slow traveling ferry makes it to land before a person dies.

DS was just 6 months old and even the JR epipen was too large a dose so for a few months we were given syringes with glass viles of epinephrine to carry :frightened Freaked me out. So I get that no one might have been able to measure a correct does. But if they could announce for a doctor why couldn't they announce for a fellow allergic passenger.

Outgrew eggs, fish, shellfish

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 11:09 am 
Site Admin

From the article,
Quote:
It was the last thing Chowns expected to hear because doctors had never flagged her daughter, Cheyanne, as at risk for an allergic reaction. She was tested every six months.

Why would she be tested every 6 months? Does she have a different allergy? Would she have an Epipen/twinject for that allergy? This statement confuses me... :freak

but...

Quote:
Policy prohibits occupational first aid attendants from administering medicine over liability concerns, even in life-threatening situations.

If you're carrying the medication, you're assuming that it may be necessary. It doesn't make sense to not have a plan of utilizing that medication. They are certainly leaving much to chance.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 2:50 pm 
Site Admin

Received this e-mail from Transport Canada today:
Quote:
Thank you for sharing your concerns with us. Transport Canada is committed to maintaining a safe and secure transportation system.

Transport Canada does require that BC Ferries has designated staff trained and qualified to provide medical first aid. You can visit the following websites for more information.

Requirements for a person designated to provide first aid - Marine Personnel Regulations 207(3)(g) and 205(9) at: http://laws.justice.gc.ca/eng/SOR-2007-115 .

First aid providers are trained by Red Cross, Saint John’s Ambulance or other approved training provider in compliance with standards specified in TP 13008 at: http://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/marinesafety/tp ... nu-142.htm

So the issue is calibrating the dose and giving an injection vs auto-injector.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 3:32 am 

Is there anything a person could do to change this?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 8:29 am 

BC Ferries could learn from WestJet. If an airline can carry epi-pens, so can a ferry. Perhaps biggest difference is that WestJet is private and BC Ferries is a public corp.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 11:08 am 
Site Admin

:thumbsup If they feel the need to carry epinephrine, they should keep it in an autoinjector form. The regular version in enough to handle a 250lb persons anaphylaxis, I imagine that it is enough to handle a person's heart attack or anything else they might require it for. Besides, how difficult is it to add this to their arsenal of drugs?