You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 6:25 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 3:12 pm 

Can I bring my Sons EPIPEN on an airplane? Can I bring it into Disney Theme Parks?
Any advice on traveling with an epipen?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 4:45 pm 
Site Admin

Oh yes, you can bring them. They're quite used to anaphylaxis allergies at Disney. You can also get a locker for $10 (US) with unlimitted access. When you get the key and the reciept, ask for a piece of tape and tape the receipt inside the locker. When you return the key with the receipt, you'll get $5.00 back! This is handy for bringing safe foods into the park.

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 9:02 pm 

We have a letter from our allergist stapled to their passports regarding the epipens, but have never been asked for them. We have flown 4 times round trip with the kids.

Make sure you keep all epipens with your carry-on luggage as the checked luggage goes in an unheated area of the plane. We bring 4 epipens per kid.

We bring the whole trip's supply of dry food like bread, crackers, cookies, cereal, etc with us in our checked luggage as you don't want to be running to different stores looking for allergy friendly food. We always get a place with a kitchen so we don't have to eat out.

Westjet is awesome, with no nuts/peanuts served on board, buffer zones and announcements offered, plus epipens in their first aid kit. I always pre board and wipe down our seats, tray, the recessed area the tray sits in, armrests, etc, before dh brings the kids onboard.

I have heard Disney is wonderfully allergy friendly! Have a great time.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 10:02 pm 

We have also flown many times and never been questionned about the epipens. I always tell security about the epis before the bags go through the scanner.

DisneyWorld restaurants were great for allergies! We took in our own food to Disney, SeaWorld and Universal with no questions. If they did question I would have explained but they never did. If kids are younger I would definitely keep some snacks with me as it was not always easy to find quick snacks. We carried the food in two backpacks - my husband wore one and my then 11 year old and I traded off carrying the second one. The lockers can be inconvenient depending on where you are when hungry :lol: We loved the frozen lemonade which we have never found in Canada.

The toughest challenge traveling was keeping the epi-pens at the correct temperature.

Have a great time!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 8:38 am 

How do you store your epipen when traveling...in your purse? carryon? Any ideas for a cheap carrying case i can buy or order online? Im located in ontario..

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 10:13 am 

We have used a few options.
- fanny pack
- passport belt (smaller than a fanny pack)
- hard carrying case from medic alert that has their logo on it
- soft case from medic alert
- custom made epi-pen waist belt when she was young
- purse

The pros of a fanny pack/waist belt is that it is attached to you and cannot accidentally leave it on a ride/plane etc.

I always carried one and had her carry one or two. We usually carry 3 on a plane but only one or two at the parks.

Check out the Travel section for more ideas such as these threads:

Flying with AC, do I need a Drs letter for epipen?
http://www.allergicliving.com/forum/vie ... =12&t=5903

Keeping epi-pens the right temperature
http://www.allergicliving.com/forum/vie ... =12&t=4456

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 10:29 am 

nuttyniko - when are you travelling?

We went a few years ago and found www.tourguidemike.com invaluable. There is about a $20 fee but it was well worth it. There are forums there with extremely knowledgeable people.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 11:23 am 

Just noticed your son is 4 - I would have each parent carry 1-2 epipens. At his age, you know that he will always be with one of you.

We had our kids wear bracelets with our info on them (name and cell #s) - they wore them on their ankles. If they did get separated from us they didn't have to remember anything but could just show someone the bracelet. I've heard of people that use temporary tattoos like that too!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 1:27 am 

I put ours in a few different locations. . . 4 in my purse, 2 each in two different carry on bags so if we are separated, or say one bag goes missing, etc., we are still good.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 9:32 am 
Site Admin

Does he wear one?

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 9:45 am 

Hi,
I flew a bit over 50,000 miles last year and never once got questioned on my epi pen and never once mentioned it to the scanners.
Everyone's points are great, I would suggest calling the airline ahead of time and having his peanut allergy added to his ticket - not just documented in the system, but for me Delta actually adds this to the ticket to flag the attendants, etc so they can see that I am allergic to nuts. From what I was told it goes on the same place on your ticket information that it would if you needed a wheelchair or special assistance on board.
Safe Travels

Anaph to: Corn, Peanuts, Barley, Pea, All Nuts, Clams, Lemons and Buckwheat. Moderate to: Soy, Lettuce, Pork, Tomato, Carrot, Cabbage, Coconut, Green Pepper, Sesame Seeds, Scallops, Trout and Mustard, environ too.