You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Thu Apr 17, 2014 8:37 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 3:10 pm 

We just recently discovered our 2 1/2 year old daughter has a sesame allergy, which came as a huge surprise to us. She reacted after eating hummus containing tahini, but I assumed that she was reacting to the chick pea in the hummus. I explained it to the allergist that she eats things with sesame or may contain sesame all the time and has never reacted. Hamburger buns with sesame, bread sticks with sesame are the 2 I can think of her eating quite often just off the top of my head that she ate frequently, sometimes my husband bought the bread with the sesame on it (which I dislike, but he doesn't look closelys sometimes).

She had been eating these things with no problem, but then had a pronounced reaction to the hummus (ballooning lips, red face, runny nose etc...) and the allergist mentioned that her body may not have digested the full seeds to allow them to release the oil, but in the nummus it was there and concentrated. Now, she said we can still use the same bread, even though it "may contain" sesame and if she has a bun with the seeds on it we can just scrape them off, but it makes me really worried when I think about doing that. Has anyone heard of this type of reaction or experienced it? I wont be using any products that I didn't before that "may contain" (the only ones i'll continue are the bread, wheat thins and melba toast - because we've been like 2 years without reactions to those).. Any tips, besides always have the epi-pen, because I know even if it was safe for 2 years, thewy may change something in the plant to make it not safe.

I'm glad for the small mercy of being able to use the same bread, because I don't have time to make any at home, because i'm pregnant and not feeling so well with morning sickness that I just can't kick...

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 5:04 pm 

Hi Cauger, contgatulations on the pregnancy. :huggy

I guess your situation is part good part bad. Bad she has the new allergy, good it is narrowed down to just the oil.
That is great if she can tolerate the seeds/trace from the seeds. I have also heard of people with mild peanut allergies who can eat foods with nut contaminants as long as there aren't actual peanuts in it, trace of nuts is fine. It sounds like your your situation could be similar. That is great as you don't need to worry about trace reactions, just ingestion reactions. Hopefully that remains the same.

I would do the same as you as far as continuing to use the same foods as before. It shows she has some tolerance and from what I understand that it if a person does have a certain level of tolerance it is important to maintain it.

Hope you feel better soon.

Outgrew eggs, fish, shellfish

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2011 9:08 pm 

It seems a bit of a strange way to manage the allergy (scrap the sesame seeds off the buns???)-the hommus is ground up and often roasted sesame seeds (and hence in larger concentrations)...but surely its only a matter of time before your child actually 'chews' some sesame seeds and absorbs them if you follow this path?

I may be wrong-but I have always been under the impression that for most situations the oil is the 'least' allergenic part of the product due to the manufacturing process. (not always)

so...is the allergist saying sesame seeds are ok as long as you dont chew and break them down....are you allergic to the oil...or just avoid concentrated things like the hommus?-if its just concentrated things like hommus thats easy to avoid-especially given you are already eating sesame seeds on a reg. basis. . We have sesame allergy but are happy to have may contains (with some of his other allergies we wouldnt go there)

I know for us with sunflower seed-paste (roasted and crushed up) gives instant anaphylaxis, full seed gives swollen lips (immediate) and oil gives delayed (2-4hours) body rash and facial swelling and nasal congestion

good luck

j-avoids peanut, sunflower, pineapple all ana-sensitised to maccadaemia.pecan.Passed barley (previous ana) last year...out grew egg ana and peanut at 3 years..became re sensitised with ana at 6 years to peanut.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2011 8:10 am 

our allergist warned us that sesame seed oil isn't refined in the same way as other oils and that sesame seed oil is just as allergenic as the seeds.
It does make one go..... :scratchy , glad if it works for your daughter but how it works is a mystery.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2011 7:17 pm 

Most commercially available oils are highly refined... meaning heat is used to extract the oil from the seed. The heat often denatures (ie. changes) the allergencity of the seed. However, this is not always the case. Cold pressed extraction is always used for sesame seed oil; therefore, sesame seed oil can never be consumed by those allergic to sesame. A cold pressed procedure can also be used in the extraction of other oil extractions generally found in health food stores, but sometimes in large grocery stores as well (for example, a cold pressed extraction of sunflower seed oil can be used). Healthier might be good for some people, but not for the food allergic!! Before consuming any oil to which an individual might be allergic, one must investigate the process by which the oil was extracted to determine the safety of the oil. The only oil our son can safely consume from his list of allergies is highly refined sunflower oil found in something like potato chips (not from a health food store!) and some other foods (for example, Goldfish). We are very careful with choosing foods that he might eat with sunflower oil, and it is not simply a blanket statement that we feel comfortable with him eating any food with sunflower oil, but if we can determine the source of the oil is highly refined, we will allow it, and he has never had a problem. We also only consume products from large, well-known companies.

Our son is highly allergic to sesame, and his allergist has said we must avoid sesame in all sources - both the seeds and the oil.

I swear, we need degrees in science to understand the complicated world with food allergies. I have a chemistry background, but I feel it is a very complicated science dealing with food allergies and the food industry.

As well, everyone has a different history, so it's best to go with the advice from your allergist - as long as you trust his/her professional opinion.

12 yr old son: allergic to peanuts, tree nuts, eggs, fish, sesame, sunflower, mustard, poppy seeds, green peas, some fruits, instructed to avoid all other legumes (except soy & green beans), pollen, cats, horses

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 7:57 am 

Quote:
I swear, we need degrees in science to understand the complicated world with food allergies. .......
As well, everyone has a different history, so it's best to go with the advice from your allergist - as long as you trust his/her professional opinion.

Well said well said!!!