Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Thu Aug 21, 2014 12:21 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 5:51 am 
Site Admin

We don't give Benedryl anymore. For a contact reaction, with cleans the area.
If we notice a small hive and she hasn't eaten/drank/inhaled/absorbed anything in the past few hours, we just wait and see with a plan to go to the Epi-Pen if needed.

As soon as we see anything more pronounced such as major hives, facial swelling, coughing, tingling in the mouth, drowsiness etc., we jump on her with the Epi-Pen.

We don't wait for it to get severe. The sooner you use the Epi-Pen the less that it has to correct and the sooner the patient is back to normal. That being said, you still need to go to the hospital by ambulance. The have stronger medications and can treat you on route. They are used to driving in emergency situation and can get through traffic faster than you or I.

Benedryl can mask symptoms but not stop them from happening so the internal reaction can still be happening but you don't see it.

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2008 12:45 pm 

I have been trying to find a shampoo and cream rinse that is free of coconut and have had no luck. Can anyone suggest a product for me as I think this could help me as I have suffered with a rash on my eye lids for far too long. (woke up today eyes puffed nearly shut). I know any other products I am using on my face are fine. I have also not used any eye make up for so long that is not an issue. Since I am very allergic to coconut I should probably not continue to push my luck by using products that contain coconut product like basically all shampoos. Thanks for any help.

Post subject: Re: Coconut allergies
PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 2:04 pm 

Was watching the Doctors and they said that the Brita water filter was made with coconut husk! OMG :frightened Reading the box all I get is that it is a carbon and ion exchange resin to filter the water. I guess I am not doing my job properly. I think if this is true and I have had no serious reaction it contains no proteins? This becomes hard to explain to the un-allergic why I have had no reaction. (thought you said you are allergic) I do wonder on days when a tummy ache could be a cross contact or unknown items such as this. Have sent an e-mail to the company to verify this information should hear in a couple of days. If it is true not happy to have been kept in the dark by the company. :x This is something we ingest it should be listed on the box.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 9:00 pm 
Site Admin

Odd! It could be that the protein is more concentrated in the meat than the husk. :scratchy

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 4:37 pm 

I got my answer back today and yes it does contain coconut husk.
Ing: activated carbon, (charred coconut husks), ion exchange resin, and an antimicrobial agent. I do wish it was written on the box. I did not have a reaction and I know it is not because I can have coconut I have had to many reactions for that. :scratchy
I will not use it any more not taking any chances. I always wonder if a grumbly tummy is just irritated by some allergy that I don't know about.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 9:58 am 

I have had a tree nut allergy for 5 years now, I just got re-tested last week and I am moderatly allergic to coconut. I have kind of suspected this. It does not seem to bother me in the makeup, product form but I was always a bit nervous to eat it and I guess I was right.

Anaph to: Corn, Peanuts, Barley, Pea, All Nuts, Clams, Lemons and Buckwheat. Moderate to: Soy, Lettuce, Pork, Tomato, Carrot, Cabbage, Coconut, Green Pepper, Sesame Seeds, Scallops, Trout and Mustard, environ too.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 4:50 pm 

I do hate being allergic to coconut (severe) lately it seems to be the next best thing. From lotions to ingesting the milk... everytime I happen to put Dr. oz on he seems to be singing it's praise.
They sneek it in places you would not even think it is needed. Chocolate, crackers, cookies, popcicles..... Reading a label for me I go to the oil they use and often it is there. :(

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2011 8:51 pm 

There is too much of everything in everything as far as I am concerned. Coconut would be hard, it really is in endless summer lotions. I find the tree nuts and sesame a pain. Why does say Lip Smacker chapsticks need to contain sesame.. I could go on and on and on as I'm sure you all could too. There seems to be a need to put some kind of extra treat into every product just to say this oil or that leaf enhances something or other. :|

And I love when products label as non-allergenic. You know there is someone allergic to something in there.

Outgrew eggs, fish, shellfish

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2011 10:33 pm 

How 'bout hypoallergenic? Didn't they make that word up to sell cosmetics? :freak

dh-allergy cats, bugspray and guava, outgrew egg allergy

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2011 12:17 pm 

paige H wrote:
I always wonder if a grumbly tummy is just irritated by some allergy that I don't know about.

After my daughter's tree nut allergies were diagnosed and we eliminated TN from her diet, her stomach aches (after most restaurant meals) disappeared! The only one she has had in the past 3 years was when we think there was cross-contamination.

My friend's daughter's stomach pains were severe enough that she missed months of school - for months she was given test after test, saw an internist etc. I early on suggested allergies but "doctors were on top of it and said it's not allergies". End result - allergy to potatoes and some nuts. The girl eliminated those from her diet and the stomach aches are gone!

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2011 12:24 pm 

Why then does FAAN list coconut as a tree nut?

http://www.foodallergy.org/page/tree-nut-allergy

Allergic reactions to tree nuts are among the leading causes of fatal and near-fatal reactions to foods. Tree nuts include, but are not limited to, walnut, almond, hazelnut, coconut, cashew, pistachio, and Brazil nuts. These are not to be confused or grouped together with peanut, which is a legume, or seeds, such as sunflower or sesame.

My understanding is that the USA includes coconut as a tree nut when listing "Contains Tree Nuts".

I do agree that coconut is not a treenut but this sure makes it confusing for people!!!

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2011 12:52 pm 

Elsewhere on FAAN's site:

http://www.foodallergy.org/page/tree-nut-allergy
Should coconut be avoided by someone with a tree nut allergy?
Discuss this with your doctor. Coconut, the seed of a drupaceous fruit, has typically not been restricted in the diets of people with tree nut allergy. However, in October of 2006, the FDA began identifying coconut as a tree nut. The available medical literature contains documentation of a small number of allergic reactions to coconut; most occurred in people who were not allergic to other tree nuts. Ask your doctor if you need to avoid coconut.

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2011 12:56 pm 

paige H wrote:
They sneek it in places you would not even think it is needed.

Very true!

Avocado is in quite a few cosmetics too which is one of my daughter's top allergens.