You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Sun Nov 23, 2014 5:25 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 9:54 pm 

A version of Puffed "Wheat" Cake that is safe for everyone at my Christmas Party this year!

3 Tablespoons Unsweetened Cocoa Powder (Fry's)
1/4 Cup Brown Sugar
1/3 Cup Corn Syrup
1/3 Cup Earth Balance or other Safe Margarine/Butter of choice (depending on allergies)
8 Cups Simple Treasures Sunrise Puffs (Organic Puffed Gluten Free Breakfast Cereal - Purchased in a sealed bag at Bulk Barn)

Bring all ingredients EXCEPT Puffs to boil in medium sauce pan. Allow to boil at full rolling boil for 1 minute.

Pour over Cereal. Stir until all cereal is coated. Press into 9x9 pan that is either lined with wax paper or prepared with non-stick spray or safe margarine/butter. Allow to cool. Cut into slices. Enjoy.

You can cut up and wrap in advance for a quick add for lunches too.

M
Edited to close the open bracket and correct Bulk Barn. Enhance Butter/margarine description.

Last edited by mharasym on Sun Apr 10, 2011 9:41 am, edited 3 times in total.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 4:58 pm 

Hi there,

Would you happen to know if the Sunrise Puffs are soy-free? I'm trying to find a peanut, soy, wheat and legume-free cake to make for my daughter's friend - thanks!

Carolyn

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 8:25 pm 

Sorry - I don't know about soy. The website says:

Organic, Gluten Free, Kosher, Dairy Free, Low Fat, Low Sodium, Yeast Free, Nut Free
Here's the contact info.

I'm sure if you give them a call or pop them an email they'll be able to help you.

1.877.445.8585 info@simpletreasurefoods.com

Be sure to post the results.

M

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2011 6:59 pm 

Just to let you know I left a message for the company on Friday morning and they haven't gotten back to me yet. I keep meaning to check the box when I go to the store but I need to write it down! Will let you know if they get back to me OR if I remember to check at the store. Thanks for the contact info. :)

Carolyn

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 8:58 am 

I received a voice message yesterday from - I think he said his name was Glen, it wasn't clear - and yes, the puffs are soy free. He told me none of their products contain soy but that if I needed him to check for the possibility of traces of soy he would call the plant and double check that. His phone number (not toll free) is 416-433-9052.

Thanks again for your direction on this!

Carolyn

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 8:40 pm 

Excellent! Have fun. They are actually in a bag (not a box) at Bulk Barn. The only frustrating thing - they're like little styrofoam balls bouncing around the kitchen - make sure the windows are closed :)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 9:06 pm 

I just thought of something - does Earth Balance have soy in it? I've used it in the past to make an apple crisp topping for a girl with dairy/egg allergies but I didn't check the label for soy. Regular margarine (Becel and Lactancia) has lots of soy in it. I'm not dealing with a dairy issue so I think I'll substitute butter just to be safe.

Thanks again, I can't wait to see the look on my friend's daughter's face when she tastes this! I love to cook and love to make treats for allergic kids even more. :)