You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Fri Apr 18, 2014 2:58 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 1:15 am 

We live in an earthquake zone and we have been advised to keep food, water, extra clothing, supplies, etc in the house, trunk of the car, plus a 'grab and go' kit in case you need to evacuate. What do you guys do about epipens?

We keep the kids' epipens in their kozy carriers on a hook by the front door, so I'm hoping if we need to evacuate, we grab the 'grab and go' bag, the epipens and go out the door.

Do you keep spare epipens in the car? I know they would be at risk of freezing/heating, but would having compromised epipens be better than having nothing in an emergency? I figure if we are out in the car, we will have our epipens with us anyway, but I guess in the case where we had to evacuate our house through another door and could somehow get into the car? I'm thinking of keeping two recently expired ones in the car in the middle of the box wrapped up with clothing, blankets to at least offer some protection from the temperature.

We keep our earthquake kit in our shed. . . as advised somewhere due to people in the SF earthquake years ago keeping them in the house and then being unable to access them when their houses collapsed. Our shed is not heated, so there would be that issue. Not sure where the best place is to keep it.

Any suggestions? What does everyone else do?

After the Japan earthquake, decided to go over our supplies with the recommendations and although we have most of the items, we are still short on some. It's hard to think of all the scenarios and be completely prepared without spending a ton of $$ and having kits that are sooooo big I wouldn't be able to carry them - they are talking about clothing, footwear, and sleeping bag for each member, plus water, food, supplies in the 'grap and go' kit. I don't think I would be able to lug a bag around with 4 sleeping bags in it!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 9:58 am 
Site Admin

I would not advise keeping epipens anywhere that will knowingly cause them to become compromised. We keep 2 in our first aide kit as well as 2 in dd's fanny pack and one in her epipen belt. We keep 2 weeks worth of soy milk most of the time as well, we buy our flour in 20lb bags and rice in equally huge bags which we store in a rubbermaid tub in the basement pantry. We have 4 4 litre water jugs and at least a case of bottled water. We try to have frozen cooked entres individually wrapped, canned meat and vegetables on hand. I think we could easily live out a week without leaving the house. If we had to run quickly, we'd be able to lay our hands on our first aid kit and emergency supplies.
You can get emergency kit lists online http://www.getprepared.gc.ca/knw/kt/kt-eng.aspx

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 12:49 pm 

I love how we think ahead for stuff like this.....other people could take a lesson....our other is tornadaoes....we don't get many but when we do.....they can be big....best to be prepared.
:thumbsup

dh-allergy cats, bugspray and guava, outgrew egg allergy

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 2:44 pm 

Thanks Susan. I'm trying to think of a scenario if we would have to run out and not be able to get to our epipens. . . Our house has three levels and three doors. If the earthquake is so bad that the house is literally falling down, then we go out the nearest possible exit. If that's the case, I would rather have some possibly compromised and recently expired epipens rather than nothing? There's the issue of gaining access to the car or shed without keys, though : )

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 2:50 pm 
Site Admin

Dd has her fannypack with epipens and asthma meds at her bedside. Incase she wakes with an asthma attack. If she had to evacuate, she has them right there. (maybe I keep the-she'd not have the foresight!)

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb