You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Tue Nov 25, 2014 11:13 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Other legumes. . .
PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 1:24 am 

DD used to eat chick peas and lentils with no problem until about two weeks ago. She said that when she ate both, her tongue would get itchy. Yikes, I'm concerned about these new allergies that are sprouting up! The peanut and egg were diagnosed early on, and the sesame later, but in hindsight, she was probably always allergic, just that we hardly ever ate them.

What have other people's experiences been with first a peanut allergy, then developing allergies to other legumes? She is OK with green peas, string beans and soy so far, but I am afraid of causing a reaction to these by allowing her to continue to eat them.

Is it worth a visit to the allergist? I'm upset about having to add more foods to her list. . . .

Post subject: Re: Other legumes. . .
PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 7:18 am 

Quote:
She is OK with green peas, string beans and so
y From what many have posted regarding different allergens (re: their allergist)...if a person can tolerate with no reaction certain foods there is no need to eliminate them from the diet.

I would keep feeding her the soy, string beans and green peas. There are those who are just allergic to one or two legumes not the entire family of legumes.
DS has had ana. reactions to chick pea and green pea so our allergist advised us to assume he allergic to all pea legumes/lentils for now. He does eat bean legumes with no problem but they have a different protein make up than peas/lentils. DS has never eaten other legumes which is why we now include 'all' pea/lentil legumes in his allergy, it just isn't worth finding out the hard way.
Luckily your daughter is old enough to tell you when she starts to have an odd feeling in her mouth etc., I would say stick with what you are doing, stop the chick peas though if she is reacting and trust her to tell you if further legumes are casing any reactions.

...and since you will be avoiding chick peas if you would like a great hummus recipe look under the recipe thread for my creation of white bean/sunbutter hummus. :lol: (for some reason canned white beans need to be rinsed very well due to the thick starchy water).

Outgrew eggs, fish, shellfish

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 7:41 am 
Site Admin

Dd can eat string beans yellow wax beans and bean sprouts but not chick peas, most beans/peas and lentils. Her allergist has advised that we should continue to feed her the legumes that she tolerates. Contact you allergist and see what s/he advises.

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 6:30 pm 

Our son first reacted to green peas at 6 months of age (I did not yet realise he was having an allergic reaction... just noticed his bright red cheeks). He later tested positive to peanuts (we've never fed him peanuts, but the allergist suspected peanut allergy based on the green pea reaction). He is able to eat green beans, bean sprouts and soy. The allergist said we should continue to give him any food to which he has not had a reaction, including these legumes. We've not tried other legumes, but we've been thinking recently that we should try them out as he tested negative recently at the allergist to white beans and kidney beans.

12 yr old son: allergic to peanuts, tree nuts, eggs, fish, sesame, sunflower, mustard, poppy seeds, peas, carrots, some fruits, instructed to avoid all other legumes (except soy & green beans), pollen, cats, horses

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 2:34 pm 

Thanks for sharing your experiences, everyone. I'm going to give her the peas and green string beans, and small amounts of soy, but lay off all others until our next allergist's appt.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 7:08 pm 

This is an interesting article written by Dr. Antony Ham Pong and was made available through the Calgary Allergy Group. It's a very good discussion regarding peanut, legume and soy allergy: http://www.calgaryallergy.ca/Articles/E ... soyahp.htm

12 yr old son: allergic to peanuts, tree nuts, eggs, fish, sesame, sunflower, mustard, poppy seeds, peas, carrots, some fruits, instructed to avoid all other legumes (except soy & green beans), pollen, cats, horses

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 7:48 pm 

Totally helpful! Thanks Julie.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 10:27 pm 

Good luck Allison's mom, I have my fingers crossed that it is only chick peas she is reacting to and not not multiple legumes. :huggy

Outgrew eggs, fish, shellfish

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 11:12 pm 

Thx BC. So far it's chick peas and green lentils, but I was afraid to give her red lentils just in case. It took several bites and 20 min for the itchy tongue to show up with the green lentils.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 5:54 pm 

My guy first reacted to hummus (can't wait to try the link for the bean hummus recipe!). We had him tested and he was very high to sesame and also positive to chick pea. Later he reacted to lentil (all just hives so far). Because of the legumes we had him tested for peanuts and of course he was positive (all to skin and RAST). So now we are PN, TN, sesame, chick pea and lentil free. His numbers were going down for a while and we got excited but now almost all are going up. :( So we are in the position of having clinical reactions to the sesame, chick pea and lentil, but none to PN or TN but of course we aren't risking it!

DS, 4, allergic to PN, TN, sesame, chick pea and lentil, EA, dog, cat, asthma
DS, 16 mo, former multiple food intolerances, asthma