You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Sat Jul 26, 2014 3:25 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 12:51 pm 

You wise parents here, I need your help.

In the past I have read about studies that said kids should not sit in the front seat with airbags while they are still growing. Now I can only find studies that say "under 13" which is still accurate in our case but not for long. My daughter has not had her growth spurts yet and I don't want her up front yet. I am the only one that feels this way in the family.

Has anyone researched this and have current information?

One time at age 11, my daughter did not like being in the back but then as we were leaving a game, the other kids sitting in back seats were the daughters of a nurse, a police officer and a surgeon :D Thinking those are the parents who would know best! Hmm... guess I could ask one of them.

Last edited by walooet on Sun Apr 10, 2011 5:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 1:26 pm 

My car...my rules....

edit - my kid too and I AM THE MOMMA!! Final answer.

dh-allergy cats, bugspray and guava, outgrew egg allergy

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 1:55 pm 

As Momma, I don't want her up front yet.

Dad feels differently - for a long time but has made her sit in back as per my wishes. He doesn't agree anymore - he picked her up yesterday from an event and the 20 other 12 year olds all got in the front seat. I'll search more later - can only find the "Under 13" recommended with no data or reasoning to support.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 3:39 pm 

oh no, I hate it when that happens....quick, come to an agreement! and be unified...good luck...we always tried to err on the side of safety...

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 5:50 pm 

We do agree on most things and to be honest, he usually does defer to me since I am the researcher in the family. His wanting her to sit up front is so that they will chat more easily. When she sits in the back it just isn't the same and then she texts (which in itself is funny because she rarely texts compared to her 14 year old sister!).

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 5:57 pm 

I love that his reasoning is cuz he wants to chat with her.... :wink:

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 6:16 pm 

There is a great website www.car-seat.org that has a wealth of info on child passenger safety. A lot of car seat techs are on that site and are able to answer questions. If you can't find the answer in a search, you can start a new thread and people will reply. Hope that helps.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 6:19 pm 

Thank you Allison! :goodidea I will check it out.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 6:41 pm 

This is a very timely post... I've been wondering the same thing lately. My daughter is now 12, and I see a lot of her 12 year old friends are sitting in the front. I've been trying to find out the recommended age, and I've also found 13. My daughter is just over 5 feet now, and weighs 90 lbs. I know some grown women that are not much taller than this (my mom and sister, for example, and many of my husband's aunts). My daughter has recently asked when she can start sitting in the front (she's just asking, but is not insistent), and I have just begun to look into this. She knows I'm safety conscious, so she hasn't seemed to mind that I've said "Not yet." But if I found that her combined height and weight were appropriate, I would allow it.

12 yr old son: allergic to peanuts, tree nuts, eggs, fish, sesame, sunflower, mustard, poppy seeds, green peas, some fruits, instructed to avoid all other legumes (except soy & green beans), pollen, cats, horses

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 7:27 pm 

When I researched it a few years ago I read that it is not just the age/height/weight but whether they are still growing a lot. Right now, as I type that it doesn't make sense even though I have not questionned it before. :scratchy I thought it was to do with growth plates but aren't those are mostly in the legs? Perhaps, that was before airbags and regardless, more dangerous in the front than the back.

Our school district has a volunteer driver form stating that students 12 and under must be in the back.

Some days, I wonder if I just want to wait until she is 13 so I don't have to hear the "I get the front this time!" from the kids :swing

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 7:53 pm 

As parents we all seem to have different rules. I would see parents of grade two children being dropped off at the school and jumping out of the front seat. :frightened (my opinion)
I did think I had to come up with a time line for my kids as they did ask far too young when they would see others getting out of the front seat. Now i did think of some adults who are five foot nothing and are the adult in the house. But what I came up with for us (only my house rule not based on child seat requirements as when I hear them they seem to keep kids in a booster till they are 16!)

I said all items must be checked and its because we love you.

1. Five feet tall
2. In Junior high (grade seven here and that would mean 12 or 13 in my house)
at that point I would not only worry about an accident but they would now have to deal with huge peer pressure! (Junior high can be tough)
3. The vehicle air bag must be on. (there was a sensor that would turn on when you were at least about 80lbs.)

Once they met the requirements they could be in the front.
And NO you could not choose the music we listened to. My car, My music. :banana