You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Tue Jul 29, 2014 11:00 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 134 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 9:34 pm 

Quote:
edit-that guy winking up there....he's been discussed on another thread....I think he's making ribbons.
:huggy Alberta... :scratchy What????

Outgrew eggs, fish, shellfish

Last edited by BC2007 on Thu Apr 28, 2011 5:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 12:33 am 

:pipe
discussed beginning last Sunday, with Jennifoo
Quote:
My 5 y.o. son just asked me why one of the smiley faces is smoking? I was a little surprised to see that one in there. Not offended but would prefer not to have that emoticon in there.
on this thread viewtopic.php?f=24&t=6508
called Emoticons.

dh-allergy cats, bugspray and guava, outgrew egg allergy

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 11:46 am 

Let say hes' blowing a 'teal' noise maker ..not smoking. :lol:

I looked everywhere for true teal ribbon without luck. Today at Michaels I found exactly what I wanted but it wasn't in the ribbon section where I've looked before. For 1.22 I bought a spool of teal seam binding, Martha Stewart brand. It is the exact colour and width I was looking for....and the right price!!! :D

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 6:20 pm 
Site Admin

I think I picked up the last teal ribbon 2 weeks ago! :bouncyblue

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 6:34 pm 

The lady at Fabricland told me teal isn't an 'in' colour this year which is why I'm having such a hard time finding teal ribbon. I laughed and told her what were were using it for and that single handedly we are bringing TEAL BACK! :mrgreen: :happydance :swing :bouncyblue

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 10:18 pm 

Cheers to all this effort! I am going to Michael's tomorrow to see what kind of teal ribbon I can find!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 12:41 pm 

Quote:
Cheers to all this effort! I am going to Michael's tomorrow to see what kind of teal ribbon I can find!
:thumbsup

:banana

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 12:52 pm 

I have been getting so much great feedback from wearing my new allergy t-shirts (thanks to my daughter and her amazing designs). During the past week I have discovered something very unexpected. Most of my recent allergy discussions have been opened by strangers making comments about my allergy awareness shirts. . What I have found is that after a quick run down on what my son has life threatening allergies to these strangers then take over the conversation...in a good way!!! It is amazing, almost every single person so far has piped in and been excited to tell me me about someone they know who has allergies, a neighbor, a sibling, a relative,a co-workers child, a teacher, a friend of a friend, a child at school, a friends sibling etc..

I thought these shirts would be a platform for me to be able to educate about allergies. I think I was thinking too specific of allergy facts. What I've found is much more exciting. People who might never have thought that allergies affect them in a personal way are realizing that allergies in fact do affect them in some way, directly or indirectly. This personal connection to life threatening allergies is what I now see is so important. I think when people feel a closer connection to anything they pay more attention, be it education, awareness or just through showing more empathy and understanding.

:happydance :happydance :happydance

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 5:27 pm 

Way to go!!!

Did you make them from the designs that your daughter drew?

:bouncygreen

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 5:39 pm 

I did indeed! :thumbsup :happydance :banana I made one from each drawing and have been wearing them every day. DS has one and my husband actually asked me to buy him a plain white shirt so he could also make himself one. :swing

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 6:02 pm 

Can you ask your dd if she'll do a trade with me? I have allergy awareness monsters. :bouncyblue

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 6:28 pm 

BC2007 That's great. It is just as I thought there are so many people out there who know someone or have family with allergies. I think it needs to be shown that we are out here and discussed more so everyone can understand what it is all about. Like when I am asked what is "in" oatmeal that you are allergic to. :freak I am not talking about cookies "just Oatmeal". And when someone thinks getting watery eyes or a rash is as bad as it gets. They need to know what can happen when we are not vigilant.

Would it be bad to have some little pamphlet to give people who are prepared to discuss like what it says in Allergic Living Magazine -Top 10 allergic items (also say it could be anything) and what symptoms are..... And what should be done if a reaction happens???? Just thinking??

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 7:21 pm 

Dd's drawings are on the AL face book page (under pics). If you would like Alberta, or anyone, to have a large enough image to make a shirt just message me and I'll email you a full size image for a transfer. We just bought the Avery labels from Walmart (you need the ones that say for a white shirt). I bought plain shirts from Superstore for 8$, Ds's shirt was just 4$ from Walmart. Be sure to buy a shirt with no pockets. The avery labels comes with the direction on how to take the image and print it onto the special iron on paper.

Love your idea Paige.
THINK TEAL!!! :mrgreen:

Last edited by BC2007 on Thu Apr 28, 2011 5:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 7:50 pm 

While at Michaels purchasing more ribbon....I found DUCKTAPE in tranquil teal.....beeeeauuuutiful. :bouncyblue
I love ducttape....so many uses. :thumbsup

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 12:56 pm 

paige H wrote:
Would it be bad to have some little pamphlet to give people who are prepared to discuss like what it says in Allergic Living Magazine -Top 10 allergic items (also say it could be anything) and what symptoms are..... And what should be done if a reaction happens???? Just thinking??
I have thought about this before too paige H, and went to staples to see about having cards made quite a while ago but didn't go farther....you can fit alot of info on a card.....I guess what I would want on it most of all would be this forums website info.....I really try to direct everyone who is interested to come here....the people are really great, helpful, informed and as long people eat it will be an issue till there is a cure. This is a road I would like to explore further.

On another note... the first week of May in Canada is Emergency Preparedness Week http://www.getprepared.gc.ca/knw/epweek-eng.aspx

This would be a good bus to hop on....get those ribbons out there!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 134 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next