You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Sun Sep 21, 2014 12:20 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 5:01 pm 

I'll post an update when we get back from the allergist. They figured we would start with milk, and depending how he does, next year try egg. He's been to the ER for both in the past, so it's going to be interesting and more than a bit nervewracking for him (me too!)

He already tends to cough and get an itchy throat just trying anything new - nervous reaction. I'm bringing my laptop and a few favorite movies of his to keep his mind occupied so he doesn't just 'wait for something to happen'.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 5:07 pm 

My ds had some "itchiness" and tingly mouth all through the challenge. I thought they would stop it (I think others have stopped at this point) but my allergist charged ahead. I think that without the runny nose / sneezing, visible hives or vomiting (all symptoms he's shown every time he's accidentally consumed milk) they figured he was tolerating it despite the minor itching. I was scared too, but looking back I'm glad we plowed ahead. Looking forward to hearing how you do!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 7:01 pm 

Yay! :happydance

Passed the baked milk challenge today.

Took in a cake with 1/2 cup milk baked into it. Stressful to have a bite then wait then more then wait but after years of avoidance, and 2 ER visits for milk, such a blessing to be able to breathe a sigh of relief about this.

After a few months on baked goods, we'll go back for regular milk challenge. Wow wow wow...

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 7:39 pm 

That's SO exciting!! We're a long way from raw milk challenge still, but baked milk opens up whole new worlds... enjoy!

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 7:02 pm 

My 7 yo is doing a baked milk challenge on Friday.

I have been given a recipe to bake a cake, using 3/4 cup of milk and 4.5 tablespooons of dry non-fat milk. Apparently this is the equivalent of 1.5 cups of milk or 12g of milk protein.

The cake must be baked in an 8" square pan at 350 for 30-35 minutes. When cut into 16 equal pieces, each piece will contain 0.75g of milk protein.

I am glad to have specific instructions, and like that we will be able to measure the amount of protein she is eating.

If she passes she may consume 1-3 servings of heated milk per day in the form of store bought baked goods with milk listed as the third ingredient or lower, or homemade baked goods with 1 cup of milk per 1 cup of lour baked at >350 for >30 mins.

I'll let you know how it goes on Friday!

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 7:04 pm 

Fingers crossed for you. :thumbsup

dh-allergy cats, bugspray and guava, outgrew egg allergy

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 7:24 pm 

Yay may!! Great news! :banana

And bonestable, let us know how it goes. Hope it was successful! :)

12 yr old son: allergic to peanuts, tree nuts, eggs, fish, sesame, sunflower, mustard, poppy seeds, green peas, some fruits, instructed to avoid all other legumes (except soy & green beans), pollen, cats, horses

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 7:58 pm 

Let us know how you do. Keeping fingers & toes crossed for you!

I have a question. We're into week 3 of baked milk, very little guidance as to how much or how long or anything else. And finding baked goods with milk and no egg is not easy.

So in baking, instead of adding milk, how about using butter? There are more baked goods you can do this way, not many normally call for a cup of milk (though my son doesn't mind eating cake regularly!) I just don't know what the criteria is... :scratchy

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2011 11:29 am 

We had a good result at the baked milk challenge.

A few minutes after the first little piece of cake DD said it felt strange and pointed to her chest. She couldn't describe the feeling but it wasn't upsetting her, and the allergist couldn't see anything wrong.

After the second piece her ear tickled. Again not distressing, and the allergist checked her over and she looked fine.

She ate a few more pieces and the symptoms seemed to subside.

We were told to go ahead and give her the cake every day for a week or two, then slowly introduce other baked food so long as milk is the third ingredient or lower. I was surprised this includes things like goldfish and pancakes.

She ate cake yesterday and this morning, and says that each time her throat and ear feel strange. However this morning it was only her throat, so hopefully her body is getting used to it.

I am going to make another cake with the same recipe we challenged with, and give her some of that every day for a couple of weeks. Hopefully she will stop having the itchy ear and throat, and then I will look into other things to give her.

My main excitement is to have so much choice about BREAD - even just allowing the may contains milk loaves will give me so much more choice!

May - I didn't ask the allergist, but I think baking with butter is fine. Theoretically butter is just fat with no protein. My concern would be that it doesn't contain enough milk protein to help the desensitization or outgrowing process. I am wondering if using powdered milk would be a good way to increase the protein in baked goods that do not require liquid milk.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2011 12:39 pm 

Hi, all. Update now that we are into a month of baked milk foods. DS finished the first cake, ever so slowly, a piece of cake a few times a week.
Next, I baked a Duncan Hines white cake - first time using that flavor since milk is on the label. Made it with 1 1/3 cups of milk, cut into 16 pieces, and feeding daily. No issues. Also found a cookie with milk in it that was not chocolate chips and no egg (egg is still 5+), harder to find than I expected actually. Imagine, looking for cookies where milk is a main ingredient, not just a 'trace'!

I decided NOT to tell DS the first time he ate them that they had milk, to rule out his fear factor. Then I had to contain MY fear when he scarfed down 5 of them! No reaction. They are now in the cookie jar for him to eat at random. He hasn't reacted to the cake or these cookies, so now I'm trying to figure out what to 'bake' next.

The allergist said pizza, but that just seems like such a big leap.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2011 4:53 pm 

That's fabulous! :happydance I read on the bulletin boards of a US group (don't have the link with me - I'm at work) that pizza was indeed the next step of the actual baked milk study. I seem to remember they were told that it had to be browned and bubbly.

That being said, I'm not going to try it. My ds' RAST is still so high. We recently tried Daiya for the 1st time, so we'll stick with that.

I know what you mean about not telling them when you're giving them something ... I do that sometimes to. In fact, I did it just this week - and an hour later my ds was getting an Epi, IV Benadryl & IV Solu-Medrol in the ER. :cry:

It was his 1st anaphylaxis in 3 years. Since he has safely been eating baked milk for 6 months now, I thought I'd try a hot dog. I was certain I had given him these same hot dogs a few weeks ago, but now, looking back, I think I fed them to my daughter. The label read "modified milk ingredients". He has safely eaten Pogos recently, and they say "milk ingredients" on the label. So I made the leap that these other ones must be safe.

I made 2 mistakes here .... my ds was going to be heading to play baseball, and exercise has triggered some hives / itching and swelling in him after he has eaten baked milk. So we were advised no exercise for 4 hours after. (but it was baseball, you know? He was throwing a ball, not running!) Also, his 1st anaphylactic reaction was to a hot dog. There's a history there. The Pogos are, in fact, baked in the oven, but the hot dog had been boiled for a few minutes.

Funny enough, despite this being his 5th "official" anaphylactic reaction (all managed in the ER with IV meds), it was the 1st time he had Epi :scratchy . The ER docs are getting better at this. I tried to give it to him at the baseball field, but he refused - didn't want his friends seeing it. We were 1 block from the ER, so I rushed him over there without a mention to his team. My husband was actually helping with practice, so I called him later.

Wow, does Epi ever work fast! His swollen lips / tongue were the only symptoms that took several hours to resolve, the laboured breathing (O2 sats were 92 when we arrived :( ), rash, itchiness, sneezing all stopped within 5 minutes. Different this time too, was the fact that he didn't have ANY GI symptoms. In the past, he usually threw up the food and sufferred terrible diarrhea as well. Nothing at all like that this time.

So another lesson learned ..... Epi WORKS (ds will never refuse it again). Reactions can be very different each time, and in this whole baked milk experiment, hot dogs do NOT qualify if they have labelled milk ingredients. I found out later that it is casein that they use (obviously ...)

I'm sufficiently scared that I many not subject him to any more baked milk for a few months ... let his little body recover some more.

By the way, he forgives me. As we both laid there crying, I asked him to punish me. I decided to let him stay home from school the next day (his face was still kind of swollen), and let him boss me around. I let him eat whatever he wanted, and cleaned his room. :) We had a fun day.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 8:41 pm 

:huggy to you Momtobunches. Your story almost brought me to tears as well. I can so relate to the feelings you get when your child has a reaction... as parents, we are responsible for the food that goes in their mouths, so, when they have a reaction, we feel responsible and GUILTY. Good thing you had the courage to give the Epi, and so good that your son discovered the speedy relief that the Epi brings. We've needed to administer 3 times, and the relief was very rapid for our son as well... within 5 minutes (followed by the trip to the hospital). I can understand why you want to give things a bit of a break to get yourselves back on track. When you're ready, you can start the baked milk challenge again. Try not to feel too guilty. It's so difficult to understand these subtle differences in the manufacturing process of food. It's difficult to know that the milk in one food item is within the safety zone of the baked milk, whereas, another isn't. By sharing your story, others will benefit. We can all learn from one anothers "mistakes" (which we didn't know were mistakes until they lead to anaphylaxis). Thank goodness for the Epipen!

12 yr old son: allergic to peanuts, tree nuts, eggs, fish, sesame, sunflower, mustard, poppy seeds, green peas, some fruits, instructed to avoid all other legumes (except soy & green beans), pollen, cats, horses

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 11:15 pm 

Thanks for your support :huggy - felt SOOOOO guilty. I actually didn't give him the Epi - my dh had it in his pocket, and was across the other side of the field with it when I had taken ds to the parking lot to examine him away from his friends. So I DIDN'T have it on me. Since we were only a block away, I gave him the choice .. and he chose to drive to the ER rather than have me run across the field to get the Epi from dh. Probably was the same amt of time either way. The ER doc gave the Epi from a syringe, in his upper arm. DS said it really, really hurt, but was glad for it afterwards. I'm glad the ER doc acted so fast - within about 15 seconds of examining him he ordered it. I told ds that if there ever is a next time, we will give the Epi BEFORE we drive to the ER, even thought it still would have taken me probably 10 minutes ... and I would have had to leave him unattended while I ran to get it. Now that I'm thinking about it, I'm not sure I would have done that. Leaving him for a few minutes would NOT have been an option. But he hates wearing it during baseball, so that's why dh had it in his pocket. Arrrggghhhhh!!!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 10:33 am 

DD went for her egg challenge yesterday, but apparently we've done a really good job of teaching her that milk and eggs are not safe, as she absolutely refused to eat the scrambled eggs we brought and would not only spit them out, but physically scrape them off her tongue. It was very clear that she was absolutely terrified and completely stressed out. After 30 minutes or so, our allergist recognized there would be no way to convince a 2 year old to eat them and switched to a baked egg challenge, sending my hubby off to the store. He could not find any baked goods that contained egg but not milk, so he brought back crunchy chop suey style chinese egg noodles and we told her they were like chips. After 2 hours the allergist declared she had consumed enough to safely say she had passed the baked challenge - wahoo!!! He said this means she can now have pasta with egg in it, which will make ordering at a restaurant, or even eating at someone else's house SO much easier!!

He suggested we wait until she's 3 to try the regular egg challenge again, as maybe by then we can reason with her and get her to try them, but in the meantime I'm thrilled with the progress on baked egg!!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 10:48 am 

Wahoo!! Being able to have baked egg opens SO many doors! (We're not there yet, but I sure hope we'll be joining the baked egg club one day!!)