You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Wed Jul 23, 2014 2:06 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Re: "Daiya" vegan cheese
PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 8:19 pm 

Alison's mom...without realizing it you just introduced me to the fact that there are gelatin free marshmallows. :bouncyblue
My folks are in the LMLD. I think I'll be sending them on a marshmallow hunt. :thanksign

Outgrew eggs, fish, shellfish

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 10:30 pm 

Oh, glad I could help! We haven't actually tried these yet, as we were eating these previously http://allerenergy.com/Store.html which are natural, but do contain gelatin (gelatin is not a problem for us), but shipping to Canada is prohibitive. My sister in law, however, who lives in New West has tried the Dandies and liked them for her daughter.

By the way, if your parents are planning to drive to the store, warn them that they are doing construction on that street, and the whole road is closed. It was an ordeal (to say the least) to get there, find parking, and walk across the street there today.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 1:30 pm 

Thanks for the traffic tip! The lady from the store double checked for me and the Dandies Marshmallows are from a facility which is peanut, tree nut and sesame free :happydance .
After a quick check there is a co-worker of my husband's on the Vancouver side coming to Ottawa in 2 weeks....guess what kind of cargo he'll be bringing. (we already asked :banana )
Allison's mom HUGE HUGS

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 2:42 pm 

Our friend flew in from Van. and we went to pick up our Dandies from him today. They taste great, they are a bit heavier but taste identical to regular marshmallows. The only difference is they cost 7$ a bag :lol: . DS LOVED them and thought they were a super treat.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 3:02 pm 

I've noticed that several retailers have been added to the Daiya website - there is finally one in Calgary! Am going to call...

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 5:17 pm 

BC - glad you liked the marshmallows. The have also been a hit with my kids, and at $7/bag, yes, pricey, but I guess we will just eat them less often. Think of all the un-pronounce-able preservatives and other stuff that you aren't eating, though, by buying these instead of regular marshmallows!

Funny about the Daiya cheese, though, we made pizzas the other night, and DS (the only one who can't eat dairy) took one sniff and declared it 'stinky' and wouldn't even try it. Sigh. Now I have about 20 little ziploc baggies of frozen cheese. I don't mind eating it, and DD didn't mind it either, but we can eat real cheese!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 9:29 pm 
Site Admin

Re Daiya, per AL's story in the Fall, they have now "officially" launched in Canada with many locations.

Story: http://allergicliving.com/index.php/201 ... at-last-2/
Finding a retailer: http://www.daiyafoods.com/where/index.aspx

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 3:37 pm 

I've tried Daiya vegan cheese, the Boon Burger Cafe in Winnipeg uses it and I really like it! **I'm not allergic to dairy but my 5 year old was just diagnosed with possible allergy, awaiting testing*
I bought some at Vita Health on Meadowood in Wpg last night! Just made a casserole, or rather 3 of them to freeze with it on top. Hope my son likes it!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 5:03 pm 

Almost a year after I originally started this thread, I can finally say that we tried it! The nearest place that carries it is 1/2 hour away, so we made a family day out of it and saw a movie too.

I made a home-made pepperoni pizza that night so that it was completely milk-free, and not only did ds love it, my dh and dd (who LOOOVVVEEEE real pizza) did too! :thumbsup My dh admits that he wouldn't be able to tell the difference, he would have thought it was just a different type of mozzarella.

They sold the small packaged of shreds in the Community Natural Foods, so I've got the mozza and cheddar .... grilled cheese is next on the list for him to try! They were less than $5 per bag - very reasonable.

I'm particularly excited about this because now that he can have "baked" milk, cheese may not be too far in the future for him (baked cheese is the next step after muffins in the study protocol in New York), and I want to make sure that he gets used to the taste. My dream is to have him be able to eat pizza by the time he goes to university ... which was my late-night staple in rez.