You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Wed Jul 30, 2014 5:07 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 9:36 am 
Site Admin

Meanwhile, the principal has given all staff a refresher course in anaphylaxis. :thumbsup

When I dropped R-- off today, I saw her teacher going into the staff lounge to do some photocopying. I wanted to let her know that I have some slag (by product of steel manufacturing-I'm from Hamilton). I wanted to offer to lend it to her so that she could show the class as part of their lesson on rocks and minerals (mining etc.). I wasn't able to catch up with her...me thinks she is avoiding me.

Luckily, I did see the principal and mentioned it to her. She thought it was a great idea. I told her that I wanted to extend the olive branch, so to speak and I wondered if the teacher was uncomfortable with me. I am soo the bigger person that it's amazing I can fit into my jeans! :mrgreen:

Principal would mention it to her. :popcorn

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 10:56 am 

I am soo the bigger person that it's amazing I can fit in my jeans! :rofl :rofl

Love that one Susan I just might have to use it.
All you guys are great mom's and are doing a great job in the schools. AND you think of all the children. :thumbsup

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 12:07 pm 

I worry here that not a lot of people are getting educated unless a parent is advocating....Susan, you said, "Meanwhile, the principal has given all staff a refresher course in anaphylaxis", that is a good thing, but it was a battle to get one session once a year...and then my dd went to another school for her drama option and then I had to get them on board as well.....here in Alberta the administrative guideline are still all over the place....only select people are trained on a yearly basis in some schools....let alone "all staff a refresher course" here in this division, but in others ?....and every year there are more little ones entering the school system....things are a long way from being right when it comes to this issue here and I don't think that is going to change unless our government makes changes...but they do not want it to be "Sabrina's Law"....when I talked to Doug Horner, he always said "similar to" when we spoke of this. In Parkland School Division the focus seemed to be in the wrong groups interest....but that was my experience here.......as a squeaky wheel.

dh-allergy cats, bugspray and guava, outgrew egg allergy

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 1:34 pm 

Quote:
I am soo the bigger person that it's amazing I can fit in my jeans
:rofl

Outgrew eggs, fish, shellfish

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 6:19 pm 

At our high school we get a lot of awareness assemblies - drugs, alcohol etc. Why not one on Allergies where various reactions are acted out that could be shown to teachers etc. Somehow, I envision that combined with a video would be more powerful for memories sometimes...

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 9:54 pm 

Hi Everyone
A part of me is screaming "what are those teachers thinking!" and another part is not surprised at all. I just graduated from teacher's college (ontario) and in our law class we discussed the need for peanut/nut free schools as two students (including myself) have a nut allergy. We of course understood but there were several in the class who disagreed and felt that other kids should not have to do without just bc one kid is allergic. I am currently working as an Educational Assistant and I float to different schools in the Simcoe board. I have noticed the signs on the schools that say "peanut/nut free" but I have also noticed this is not the practice. One school I go to regularly there are no kids with allergies so the teachers don't bother with it. I have brought up my own allergies and have asked several times that the policy be followed so that I don't have to worry (esp since I am not officially diagnosed but have all the signs). The teachers all agree but every time I go to the school there are always nuts in the staffroom :verymad I would have to say that you are doing the right thing. Keep advocating for you child and perhaps show the teacher the news article about the boy in the UK maybe that will hit something...

Allergic to: Tree nuts, percocet, toradol, environmental allergies and chemical allergies
Migraines caused by scented products, barometric pressure

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 10:53 am 
Site Admin

Thanks Sarah388! It's nice to hear from the perspective of the teacher and it's good to know that there is some talk of food allergies in the teachers unuversity courses.

"The employer must monitor the workplace and ensure that employees are following the policies, practices and procedures. Written documentation of progressive disciplining for breaches of safety rules is considered due diligence. "
http://www.ccohs.ca/oshanswers/legisl/diligence.html

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 8:08 am 
Site Admin

Is this a bad year for teachers or am I just niave to think that by now, the schools should have gotten it just a little more? Yes, they don't live it 24/7 and there is a huge learning curve but...come on now, are they even trying to get it?

Dd (grade 4) has had no homework for over 7 weeks and the teacher has not signed the agenda since May 30TH.
Dd advised me last night that I am approved to attend the fieldtrip Monday (yikes-forgot about that!) and that I will be responsible for 5 students. No note, now I have to scramble to find a ride out there.

Dh has stated that if we get the same teacher next year (we've had her 2 years in a row and she still doesn't get it), we will pull her from the Catholic School Board and place her in one of the 2 public schools that are within spitting distance of our front door. He'll handle his mother about that!

I have given up on this teacher, there is no point in raising issues with her. I am now teaching my daughter that try as you might some people just don't get it and you have to just patiently ride out the rest of this year with her while keeping yourself safe. (major teachable moment) Luckily, all of her other teachers so far have at least tried to cooperate!

We will draft a letter to the principal outlining our dissatisfaction with the teacher and firmly advising that we will not accept placement in her class again next year. This teacher needs to retire!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 1:53 pm 

Well, crap. That is really not fair to your Dd.....and I would be the first one to say "life's not fair" to my kids (and do) but jeez....and what about the next family? Btw, I just reread this whole thread and am mad again....it just goes on and on and every year you just know there are families entering the school systems and some things are just not changing

We have "looping" here as well, Susan. They started here with our middle school when the population exploded the last time...2005 It can be a great thing if your child gets a great teacher.....if not....then it can be a long 2 or 3 years....

regarding the Catholic/public....I don't think it's a good idea overall to seperate kids in education by religion......any religion......that should be a private family thing......but that is just my opinion. Also, I think it costs the taxpayer a lot more to run and it is the general public that pays for all education......but I could be totally wrong.

dh-allergy cats, bugspray and guava, outgrew egg allergy

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 8:06 pm 
Site Admin

Thank you for you being angry, too! I like to check my emotions against others here. So it's not just me...good.
I can honestly say that all of dd's other teachers tried hard to get it but this one...nope! It's like she refuses to get it on principle. :roll:

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 8:13 am 

Hi Susan, just wondering if you are relieved this school year is over??? Has DD had a good end to the year? No year end food parties I hope. :|
She is such a wonderful kid. :huggy I hope she gets an amazing teacher next year....any chance she might have the same teacher again?

Outgrew eggs, fish, shellfish

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 11:02 pm 
Site Admin

Ugh! She'd better not! The teacher called the house yesterday and asked my husband if it would be OK if the kids used spray bottles to spray each other with water. This was just before the water ban was lifted.

So, I don't know if she's trying to make a point or what. Last time I checked, water was not on her list of allergens, :roll:

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 8:38 am 

Hopefully she was just being cautious since it would touch her skin --- what were the spray bottles used for prior to their water fights?

It is really difficult when you don't get a good teacher but a wise Principal at a different school than my kids told me that with parents like us, our kids will always be okay and to essentially ride out the bad teacher(s). It is extremely difficult with the teachers' union to get rid of a teacher.

High School is a treat since they have 8 different teachers.