Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Thu Sep 18, 2014 9:50 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 2:44 pm 

www.albertaschoolcouncils.ca/pdfs/Advoc ... 010-11.pdf
Quote:
That school staff should be trained with respect to first aid and anaphylaxis reaction management

Michele

dh-allergy cats, bugspray and guava, outgrew egg allergy

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 6:22 pm 
Site Admin

:thumbsup

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 8:46 pm 

Doesn't mean they are.

Michele

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 4:58 pm 

No, and if training does take place it's during the first few months of school, NOT before the start of the year. :banghead

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 9:41 pm 

Well, that depends on where you are in Alberta. Here, they had nothing unless I asked and got involved....now, I have no idea what they do cause I'm not invited...seems not right to me....since my DD is just about done school I really don't count on them at all...it's her friends I know willl...without a thought about liability....they didn't even send me the paperwork that's supposed to go out this year.....whatever.....I gave them the plan from the kit and hope she never needs it...at this stage of the game I count on her and her friends. We do advocate outside of the school system and it's surprising where that takes you.....even at the grocery store I notice more people reading ingredients...I chat, and more often lately, it's allergies.

Michele

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 8:37 am 
Site Admin

Read the section of that .pdf Parental Involvement. You have a right to that information. I know it feels like you are beating your head against a brick wall sometimes but...hold them accountable. At the end of the school year ask about the falls anaphylaxis training for school staff. First day of school bring a trainer and ask the teacher of your child how they'd use it. Smile and be polite but be the thorn in their side and do not let them brush you off! Nothing is more important than advocating for your child and modelling the behaviour you want your child to adopt.

School Council, find out when it is and go. Do not ask for an invite, they can't kick you out.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 12:02 pm 

_Susan_ wrote:
School Council, find out when it is and go. Do not ask for an invite, they can't kick you out.

Susan, I don't mean the school council, I meant the inservice. I think it's weird that they never even had them for the staff until I pushed it and then it was me doing it. Now that they have the e-module, they will do that and say that's enough. If my DD were at the beginning stage of school, I guess I would have more concerns....for now, I'll just be here and stay away from meetings...mostly cause I don't want any more nasty letters containing lies....and here's the last paragraph regarding attendance at Board Meetings/Queries to me:
Quote:
Thus please be advised, effective immediately, that should you attend Board Meetings, it is our expectation that you will behave appopriately. Failure to do so may result in further action by Parkland School Division.
Woooooo.

Michele

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 1:00 pm 

alberta advocate wrote:
If my DD were at the beginning stage of school, I guess I would have more concerns.Michele

Oh dear. :oops: Please don't take this the wrong way. More than anything, I want people to be educated about this, but it does seem like any avenue I took, it has all been push back and redirection from the people that I feel should be helping. I do have very real concerns about how this issue has been handled here in Alberta....but :banghead.
Susan, I did all the smiling and polite and etc. and look where it got me. Now, I look at that thread on bullying and feel very guilty about not speaking out more loudly. It's like being stuck between a rock and a hard place.

Michele

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 5:47 pm 
Site Admin

You do the best you can. Part of coping means our energy levels change and so does our capacity for and style of advocacy(fighting the system).

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 10:31 pm 

Becky wrote:
No, and if training does take place it's during the first few months of school, NOT before the start of the year. :banghead

that's good that you got training going Becky, is it yearly where you are? does all staff attend and are you and your child invited? who does the training. are your teacher advised not to administer but to wait for whomever has 1st aid training?

This is going on now....http://www.pwsd76.ab.ca/Publications/Al ... 202011.pdf

School Councils Connection 2011 April 15 -17, 2011 Edmonton

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 10:37 am 

I participate in the first aid updates as school staff. They cover all serious health issues for students. They show an anaphylaxis video and provide epi-pen trainers however I don't know if they really cover the signs of a reaction.

As Alberta said, for my own teenager, I rely on friends, not staff since they have so many teachers each year. Realistically, teachers are watching 25-30 students compared to the friends.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 10:38 am 

walooet wrote:
I participate in the first aid updates as school staff. They cover all serious health issues for students. They show an anaphylaxis video and provide epi-pen trainers however I don't know if they really cover the signs of a reaction. I will pay attention in September - or better, I will call the regional health authority who does the training and ask. (see how you've shared your advocacy mantra ladies??)

As Alberta said, for my own teenager, I rely on friends, not staff since they have so many teachers each year. Realistically, teachers are watching 25-30 students compared to the friends.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 11:20 am 

I just noticed that the link above does not get you anywhere....BUT!!!!!!..... :banana :banana lookie lookie https://albertaschoolcouncils.site-ym.com/ :mrgreen: :goodidea I am soooooo excited....and so glad I learnt so much about so many things these past few years. There is a discussion forum there too! :happydance

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2011 5:29 pm 
Site Admin

Oh boy! :roll: They don't know what they're in for. :huggy

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 8:46 pm 

Well, http://www.informalberta.ca/public/orga ... Id=1003328
Quote:
Our small provincial office is located in the Alberta School Boards Association building in Edmonton.
They have probably heard of me if not from me at some point.....I made a few phone calls before I joined up here and started poking around the internet. I am pretty sure I've talked to a few people here (ASCA) as well as in other organizations.

I'm thinking if I hadn't put the bug in their ear about this it wouldn't have showed up here in this paperwork.
http://www.albertaschoolcouncils.ca/res ... _-_201.pdf
Advocacy Policies 2011
Quote:
That school staff should be trained with respect to first aid and anaphylaxis reaction management
page 4

I wish I knew what any of it means though....you know....how to "take it to the next level". It is all very confusing to me when it comes to how to get things done...I can make noise but a little direction from someone in the know and a few more parents voices would help....I wonder if I wrote to all the school councils in Alberta as well as these guys?