You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 7:57 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 7:24 pm 

Got to the grocery store, wore my sunglasses there. Realized when I got there I didn't have my glasses and couldn't read a darn label. :banghead No choice but to leave....no glasses = can't read the ingredients. Not far to go but frustrating. :freak

Outgrew eggs, fish, shellfish

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 7:33 pm 

That is a pain! If at Superstore or Costco you could ask to test-drive a pair of glasses from the Optical department and once done your shopping decide you don't like them. :lol: I need new progressives - got them so I could stop lifting my glasses for those tiny labels but already need a new prescription. Hence, another reason why I support companies who make their labels easy to read!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 7:58 pm 

I have done that a couple of times too... if I've forgotten my readers, I will bring wheel my cart over to the optical department where the readers are on display and read the ingredients on my items of interest :oops: . It's not a great option, but I have used it a couple of times in a pinch.

12 yr old son: allergic to peanuts, tree nuts, eggs, fish, sesame, sunflower, mustard, poppy seeds, green peas, some fruits, instructed to avoid all other legumes (except soy & green beans), pollen, cats, horses

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 9:59 pm 

I didn't need the glasses before I started reading labels!
:wink:

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 10:18 pm 

Quote:
I didn't need the glasses before I started reading labels!

I will bring wheel my cart over to the optical department where the readers are on display and read the ingredients on my items of interes

You all crack me up. I am SO glad to have all my allergy mommy friends, I knew you'd understand. :lol:
May I too didn't need glasses until about 6 months ago, my eyes were getting worse and worse reading labels until my arm wasn't long enough to focus. Now I can't even try read ing. labels without them.

I tried reading the ingredients on the back of a hot dog package (with my glasses) and couldn't make heads or tails of it. The ing. were written accross the bottom of the package like a wave, what the heck!!! And try reading the ing. on the top of a sour cream container (for gelatin) as it goes in a circle in blurred print on plastic. :banghead

..............If I'm ever in Costco I'm TOTALLY 'borrowing' a pair of glasses. :D

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 11:45 pm 

I only need reading glasses for labels!

It really is nice to have others who understand and are just as funny. :pipe

(my husband might be wondering again as I was laughing so hard reading these posts)

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 1:43 pm 

It's like a silent movie: I picture a row of shopping carts...full with groceries... lined up by the optical center..... each mom is wearing a pair of borrowed glasses (with that white plastic tag sticking straight up from the nose bridge).... horrified children are pulling their hoodies up to conceal their identity due to embarassment... as mom's read labels they don't comment, just look up, give fellow moms an understood nod, flip open their lapel to reveal a teal ribbon...continue reading labels muttering to themselves the entire time about small print, print on shiny packages, why on earth different sizes of the same product need to be made in different factories hence different warnings, turning my head in a circle to read the top of a sour cream container, .you know, the same complaints we mutter every single time we read the exact same product......as one allergy mom returns the spectacles and pushes her cart away anther allergy mom pulls up.. :mrgreen:

Last edited by BC2007 on Fri Apr 15, 2011 6:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 2:32 pm 

:rofl omg...funny....I have had to read ing. for quite a few years now and have bought about 30 pair over the years.....& chains....they get wrecked really easily w/chains....and one day I bought a new pair cause I thought I had lost mine....turned out they were on the chain on my back....but really BC2007, were you in the drug store I shop at last week? I bought a new pair again, wore them while I shopped......and came home to find my old ones in the laundry.... I also have a pair without any arms in the bottom of my purse..but couldn't find them... :huggy I loved your story :happydance

dh-allergy cats, bugspray and guava, outgrew egg allergy

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 3:55 pm 

Quote:
.and one day I bought a new pair cause I thought I had lost mine....turned out they were on the chain on my back.
:rofl

Maybe we could petition stores to hang magnifying glasses - attached to chains - in different locations throughout the grocery store for us to use. :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 5:51 pm 

BC and AA - you are cracking me up!

Now I see magnifying glasses with a teal handle in my future. :pipe

The top allergens are usually easy to find - it's reading the whole list for the obscure allergens - and at that point gagging not wanting to eat a 'food' that has so many unpronounceable ingredients!

That's not a bad idea to have them in the store... That and a phone for toll-free inquiries with a paging system - Shopper 42, Company XYZ is on Line 2 with your answer now!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 9:27 pm 

Walooet says :
Quote:
Now I see magnifying glasses with a teal handle in my future. :pipe

:rofl

Alberta says :
Quote:
I also have a pair without any arms in the bottom of my purse..but couldn't find them..

Paint them teal, they might be easier to spot in the bottom of your bag. :mrgreen:

But really, do you think there are marketers in a meeting somewhere cracking themselves up "hey Bud, I've got it, lets try silver writing on gold foil wrap this time... Huuuhh huuuuhh, we are so funny!"

"Yah, and like next time Judd lets kind of blur the print on the plastic container so their eyes water and they get all dizzy trying to read the label."

"Totally Bud, and you know what, lets package our granoleeee bars so that the label is in the fold so they have to pull the bottom flap back in order to read the label"

"Heee Haaaa, U R So funny Judd, and like we could freak them out by putting the ingredients on the part of the lollipop that twists around the stick so they can't even see it until they open it...heee haaaa"

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 10:17 pm 

Judd Jr. chose the yellow writing on clear plastic. :banghead

Oh, and Judd must have been the one to put all the anti-theft tags across the ingredients list on all cosmetics at the store my daughter wanted to buy her first lip gloss. Did you know how many have avocado oil? Not quite the lip enhancement she would have wanted.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 11:09 pm 

You guys are hilarious! Dh (who is several yrs older than me) recently had to get reading glasses because as he also said 'his arm wasn't long enough'. I can't wait to turn 40. . . . Heard different body parts stop working properly the day after your 40th bday.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 7:09 am 
Site Admin

:rofl :rofl

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 9:04 am 

Is there a certain age when we are required not to refer to our glasses as 'glasses' but instead as spectacles? :mrgreen: