You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Wed Oct 01, 2014 2:27 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Travel to Toronto
PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 11:09 pm 

We are considering a trip to Toronto in the next little while. We are looking for accommodation downtown near the Eaton Centre. Has anyone with peanut or nut allergies stayed in that area? We are looking for clean and preferably with an allergy aware restaurant on site. Does anyone know of a good allergy aware restaurant in that area?

Is there anywhere near the Toronto Zoo to find safe food? We will be flying across country and won't have a vehicle for that part of the trip.

Post subject: Re: Travel to Toronto
PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 11:34 pm 
Site Admin

The Novotel is right downtown. http://www.novotel.com/gb/home/index.shtml It's pretty close to the Eaton Centre. With great access to the subway. I can't remember asking about allergie when I stayed there last.
The restaurants at the Royal Ontario Museum (ROM) are both allergy aware.

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 4:36 am 

Boston Pizza is an allergy aware restaurant. There are some in the Scarborough and Pickering areas, which surround The Toronto Zoo.

http://www.bostonpizza.com/en/Default.aspx

There is also Lone Star Texas Grill and there is one in Pickering, not too far from the zoo. We've been to the ones in Pickering and Whitby and at both places the manager came by to reassure us about our order and see if we have any questions.

http://www.lonestartexasgrill.com/

A more expensive option is The Keg. There are some in Scarborough and Ajax as well as closer to downtown. They are allergy aware and again the manager will come and speak to you. We've been to the one in Ajax several times. It's a bit farther east from the zoo but you may be able to find one closer to the zoo or your hotel.

http://www.kegsteakhouse.com/en/

Have a good trip!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 8:14 am 

It's also nice to stay at a hotel with an inroom kitchen - the Marriott Residence Inn is a great place to stay when traveling with food allergies. Fully equipped kitchen, bring your own food to save stress and $$.

Very close to Eaton Centre.

The Keg is within 2 miles of the hotel and very allergy friendly.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 10:02 am 
Site Admin

What allergens are you avoiding?

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 10:29 am 

Thank you for your suggestions. My younger daughter is allergic to peanuts and nuts. My other daughter does not have food allergies but is a vegetarian leaning toward vegan.
I pack lunches for the plane trip and some home baking for a breakfast. In order to prepare our own meals I would need to find a grocery store nearby. We will spend most of our trip in a small rural community and will then be able to prepare meals at my mother's. It would be nice to take in a bit of the big city while we are in Ontario.

Thank you for your help.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 2:38 pm 

I lived it TO for 9 years (downtown for 6 of them!), and it's hard to beat the Delta Chelsea. Walking distance to Eaton Centre, parliament buildings, very reasonably-priced, focus on families with kids (water slide, kitchenettes). Not sure about allergies but given their status as a family hotel, I'm sure they're used to dealing with them.

http://www.deltahotels.com/en/hotels/on ... a-chelsea/

Stayed at another place nearby that I wouldn't recommend for families, but they had LCD TVs in the elevators with a gorgeous man's face making eyes at you as you went up the elevator. :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 1:06 am 

We are flying to Toronto. We would like to visit the zoo. Would you recommend staying at a hotel near the airport, or downtown? Has anyone stayed at the Delta or the Marriott near the zoo? I am intimidated at the thought of driving in the heavy traffic I remember on the 401. Is there a quieter route anyone is familiar with?
Thank you!