You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 8:15 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Am I asking too much?
PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 9:17 pm 

So I'm considered an adult now seeing as I'm now 22 years old, but I live with my parents and my younger sister since I just finished University and am starting teachers college this year.

I've been allergic to tree nuts since I was 2 and became allergic to peanuts at 14 years old. My sister and parents enjoy nuts and peanuts... and I understand that but is it asking too much to keep that stuff out of my house?! I understand "May Contains"... I've always been an avid label reader and I read labels on things I've eaten a million times just in case. This isn't the case though. My sister insists on having Nutella and Peanut butter too. She uses paper plates and plastic knives and throws everything out but I always worry about the counter and crumbs and different things. I've gotten her to try Soynut butter and she even admitted that it tastes the same yet she insists she NEEDS peanut butter in house.

I'm not trying to be a brat but common... :banghead

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 10:57 pm 
Site Admin

Wow, I'm sorry your family doesn't understand your concerns. I don't think you're asking for too much.

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 12:10 am 

IMO, you're not asking too much. It is nice to have just one place that you don't have to worry about allergens.

As long as my daughter lives in the same city I would not have tree nuts in our home.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 6:39 am 

I also don't think you are asking for too much. We've chosen to all not eat his allergens or have them in the home as this way no matter what he touches or eats we don't have to worry. It is like Walooet says it's nice to have one place you don't have to worry about allergens as an allergic child or adult.
Good luck :huggy

Outgrew eggs, fish, shellfish

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 10:18 am 
Site Admin

Is there one family member who you can talk to and explain your concerns? Food allergies can cause a lot of stress and it really is nice to have a safe haven.
Most people who don't have the allergy don't understand. It's not that they don't care, it simply isn't on their radar. Talk to your mom or whomever is most likely to 'get it'. If you can make them understand, they might be able to help you encourage the others.
Is there an acceptable middle ground? Maybe you need to hear from those who must have the allergies in the home due to multiple individuals with differing allergens. How do they manage?
It's obviously not sitting well with you and I encourage you to pursue dicussing this with your family.
If they won't change, you will need to decide how you will handle that. Is it time you considered getting your own place? Is this an option?

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 10:03 pm 

As a parent of a little kid with food allergy, I plan to keep our house peanut free as long as he lives here. I have not yet thought about the day he lives the nest.

The way I look at it is I want one safe place in this big wide world where he doesn't have to worry about what he puts in his mouth. I switched the house over to wowbutter and/or sunbutter.

I'm sorry you are facing this; it is always harder with family.
Honest open communication is hard but often the best solution but sometimes people aren't ready to listen.
Good luck

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 11:27 pm 

I do think it is nice to have a safe haven. The situation in my house is not my children but me and we do not have peanut butter in the house (or nuts of any kind) My daughter does love peanut butter and when she is at a friends house she will often have some. She gets what she wants else where, she does not have to do with out, just not here. My husband may have some roasted peanuts.... at work or when we are out. Being an adult it is something I am comfortable with. (No kissy after :oops: )
That being said I think everyone gets what they want, yes with limitations but compromise. The reality is that the one with the allergy can only compromise so far.
Good luck ccarso on a solution, I hope you can come up with one soon. :)