You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Thu Sep 18, 2014 7:49 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 11:58 am 

A friend just told me that her school sent out a letter stating that they were going to be completely peanut free, and that 'may contains' were no longer allowed.

How on earth are they going to monitor such a ban? Does that mean homemade banana bread (without nuts) from a peanut butter eating home won't be allowed?

Many allergic parents don't fully grasp 'may contains', there is NO WAY parents of non allergic kids will stop buying rolls from the bulk bin etc..

What are your thoughts?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 1:07 pm 

I agree. There is no such thing as banning may contains unless you pretty much just ban food in general. As you mentioned even home made bread/muffins technically have a may contain if bulk barn food products are used.

To me this isn't realistic and isn't really possible unless all food has to come in a package and the teacher then reads every package.

Outgrew eggs, fish, shellfish

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 2:30 pm 

Becky wrote:
A friend just told me that her school sent out a letter stating that they were going to be completely peanut free, and that 'may contains' were no longer allowed.
Where is your friends' school? and what exactly does the policy (administration guideline) say?

I would be interested to know more....because different provinces have many different divisions, you could have many different policies and do......what about training, recognizing and reacting.(basic 1st aid even, let alone anaphylaxis)....idenification of those w/known allergies, (let alone those we don't) and storage of epi pens (extras purchase by the parents.....let alone one purchase for each school where everyone knows and has access)....like a fire extinguisher or defibulator

What about looking beyond the bans...and if and when they don't work? Preparedness is important.

dh-allergy cats, bugspray and guava, outgrew egg allergy

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 10:12 pm 

I don't see it as realistic. My son is in a classroom that has a tree nut/peanut ban that includes a ban on may contains. It is nice for me but an undue hardship for the other parents. At this age I am really just trying to avoid him contacting peanut butter because it is so sticky and hard to clean up (kindergarten class).

I find it easier to just have a "no food sharing" rule for my child. I also do wish that not every school celebration involved food. Food allergy aside, there is so much junk being pushed on kids in school these days.

I worry that bans marginalize our kids and that bullies may lash out at them...

there really are no simple solutions are there.

Education, education, education....

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 10:19 pm 

Our school tried to ban May Contains and I essentially said they were crazy because there is so little supervision that how would it possibly be monitored. At the time, my child did not have tree nut allergies but still feel the same.

Embarassed to say that I never thought about the homemade products when thinking about the May Contains issue. Was only thinking of the monitoring of labels.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 10:23 pm 
Site Admin

Seeing as "may contain" labelling is purely voluntary, they can not be sure they get all products.

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 11:52 am 

Unrealistic and creates a false sense of security......but, it says "we're trying" on paper.
Jennifoo, I agree with you...it starts with education and awareness....for everyone.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 2:49 pm 

_Susan_ wrote:
Seeing as "may contain" labelling is purely voluntary, they can not be sure they get all products.

Similar to the line-up at a grocery store's optical department will be a huge line-up of school staff calling to check ingredients with every single company and every single parent who sends in an item without a proper May Contains label.

Optical reference from those of us allergy parents who need help reading labels... viewtopic.php?f=31&t=6578

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 12:16 am 

When helping our school create their management plan, I specifically asked them not to ban may contains for reasons noted above: very hard for parents, much lower risk, not effective due to voluntary labelling, impossible to monitor. When sending out parent notices, we specifically say that 'may contains' are ok to bring.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 10:38 am 

Alison's Mom wrote:
When sending out parent notices, we specifically say that 'may contains' are ok to bring.

:goodidea That little note would make it so much easier for other families and I imagine would make some people more willing to abide by the restrictions.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 1:02 am 

Banning "May Contains" is not logical to me. The risk for an allergic child to not consume "May contains" is real, but the potential for a may contain to have sufficient allergen to cause a reaction in a proximity or environmental situation would be miniscule. I believe whomever made the recommendation is mis-informed regarding the risks of "may contain" products and are setting it up for disaster. If they ask for all bans including may contains, they are likely to get non-compliance on everything as they will just be overwhelmed.

While I do support bans in the early years, that doesn't preclude the attention to education that must take place with the allergic individual and those around them.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 7:40 am 

Quote:
If they ask for all bans including may contains, they are likely to get non-compliance on everything as they will just be overwhelmed.

I agree.

Outgrew eggs, fish, shellfish

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 12:58 am 

Here is a take on this from the Red Deer Public School Division

http://www.rdpsd.ab.ca/docs/library/404 ... ylaxis.pdf
Quote:
Accordingly, and recognizing that it is not possible to guarantee an allergen-free environment,
it is expected that schools in the Red Deer Public School District will create “allergy-aware” or
“allergy-safe” environments that minimize the extent to which students and staff members with
severe allergies are at risk of exposure to potentially life-threatening allergens.

Quote:
“Allergen-free environments” mean school sites that provide assurance that life-threatening
allergens are not present at the site.

“Allergy-aware or allergy-safe environments” mean school sites that provide comprehensive
information about allergens, allergies and anaphylaxis to students, parents and staff members,
and that minimize the extent to which individuals at the site who have severe allergies are at
risk of exposure to potentially life-threatening allergens.

This is one of the elementary schools
http://jwelsh.rdpsd.ab.ca/docs/library/ ... ndbook.pdf
Quote:
LIFE THREATENING NUT ALLERGY
We have a number of students in our school who have severe allergies to nuts and nut products. If they come into contact with
the residue of peanuts or nuts, ingest peanuts or nuts, or inhale the tiny airborne particles that are exhaled by someone who has
recently eaten nuts or nut products, these individuals may experience anaphylaxis. Anaphylaxis is one of the most dramatic
allergic reactions possible. The severity of this reaction cannot be predicted and may range from mild nausea and vomiting to a
fatal rapid restriction of the airway. Another important consideration is that exposure to the allergens (peanuts and peanut
products), however minor, serves to further sensitize the victim until the victim can no longer tolerate any amount.
As a “Nut Aware School”, we are requesting that all families support the following principles:
1. Parents, students, staff and rental groups will avoid sending food that contains nuts or nut products. Products
that are labelled “may contain nut products” do not pose a serious threat of cross contamination and can be sent to
school unless it is a class snack and the class has a child with a nut allergy.
2. Manufacturers are often changing the ingredients in their products. Please read the labels of products your child
is choosing for snacks and lunches. Words that indicate the presence of nut products and, therefore, should not be
sent to school include:
tree nuts peanuts peanut flour mixed nuts
mandelonas peanut butter beer nuts goober peas/nuts
ground nuts peanut oil artificial nut hydrolyzed peanut protein
3. Staff and lunchroom supervisors will send home reminder slips to individuals who are observed bringing nut or
nut products to school.
4. Students with nut allergies will provide the school with epi-pens. These pens are stored in the office.
Even though the classroom is where these students with allergies spend most of their time, contamination may occur as these
students access other classrooms and universal stations such as the gymnasium, library, washrooms, boot rooms and the
playground. The standard practice of students washing their hands is very beneficial in eliminating the transfer of nut residue.
We would like to thank you for your co-operation with this issue and for your help in making our school safe for children who
have allergies to nuts and nut products.

One thing I find interesting is that it is hard to find a school division in Alberta that has annual training for everyone....very willy nilly in most. This is what it says in this one
Quote:
g. Provision for regular training on dealing with life-threatening allergies for
employees and volunteers who are in direct contact with students on a regular basis.