You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Sat Aug 23, 2014 3:39 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 5:01 pm 

My 13-year old daughter is going on a multi-day class trip to Ottawa at the end of May and the teacher asked me to find out if Tucker's Marketplace Restaurant (formerly known as Mother Tucker's) is allergy aware.

Once it's definitely confirmed that they'll be eating there I will call them myself but meanwhile I clicked around their on-line menu and didn't see any peanut products (peanuts are what we're concerned about), which is good. But, I'd like some feedback from folks who've actually eaten there - we don't live near one - about how the waitstaff and chefs are about allergy awareness? I'm a little freaked out about this trip since we're so far away (about 6 hours from Ottawa)!

Thanks for any help!

Carolyn

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 6:07 pm 

Tuckers from what I understand is all buffet but I could be wrong. Line ups are huge on weekends.

Outgrew eggs, fish, shellfish

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 6:43 pm 

It is buffet-style but they told my daughter's teacher that they would prepare a separate meal for her - nice gesture but essentially meaningless unless I know how allergy aware they are. We generally stay away from buffets unless I can speak to the chef/cook in person and get a sense of their awareness level. I hope they decide to eat somewhere else but we're so far away from Ottawa it's hard for me to know where to suggest. I have my Ottawa Facebook peeps on the case, though! :thumbsup

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 9:28 pm 

If you let me know the exact area they want to eat I can post with the Ottawa Ana. Support Group for ideas.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 9:02 am 

Posting at the OASG would be fantastic, thanks! They're staying near Carleton University and they'll be visiting Parliament and other places downtown (I don't have the exact itinerary yet) - does this help as far as location goes?

Thanks again,
Carolyn

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 9:07 am 

I asked the OASG for suggestions, I'm sure they will have plenty. I'll PM you as they come in Carolyn.