You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 10:03 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 3:46 pm 

Today I went to the local garden supply store to pick up some organic soil to nourish my garden before I start planting. Thankfully I had the presence of mind to ask about ingredients in the soil mix. I had two really helpful employees who took the time to check. Low and behold the product label on the large bag listed [b]peanut shells [b] as an ingredient. Apparently there is a shortage of peat moss so this is someone's idea of a solution. The garden centre uses this product for their plants. When I asked if all of the products from that company would use peanut shells the garden centre employee said they would all come into contact when bagged and processed. He wrote out the names of two other companies they deal with and suggested I check online before buying.

I was able to find one of these. I have called and been told this companies products do not use peanut shells.

Check before you plant.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 4:17 pm 

Call us crazy, but when we discovered dd's egg allergy, it made us rethink the egg shells in the compost....just to be on the safe side.

dh-allergy cats, bugspray and guava, outgrew egg allergy

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 4:58 pm 

Saw gardening soil last year that had actual crustasian shells in it. There were even pictures of I think lobsters on the bag...peanuts too! :frightened :frightened

Outgrew eggs, fish, shellfish

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 5:51 pm 

Yes, peanuts and shellfish are a big part of gardening. Sigh. I am an avid gardening fanatic, and although I personally don't buy anything with peanuts, local critters like to hide them in my well mulched beds. I found a few today while uncovering some hydrangeas. SO STRESSFUL.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 8:57 pm 
Site Admin

Quote:
There were even pictures of I think lobsters on the bag...peanuts too! :frightened :frightened

Oh great.
I don't ask for much as an allergic person, but don't mess with me and my garden, that's my little sanctuary. :verymad

First the expression "dirt cheap" disappeared (ka-ching for soil) and now we can't count on dirt to be well, dirt without extra "organic" ingreds? Et tu dirt, I must read your labels?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 11:02 pm 

Oh yes, I forgot about the lobster carcasses in my in laws garden in Nova Scotia. mmmm, I miss lobster.

dh-allergy cats, bugspray and guava, outgrew egg allergy

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 10:00 am 
Site Admin

I'm trying really hard to be optimistic etc but...arrrgh! :banghead

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 12:57 am 

After asking lots of questions at the garden centre, I decided to just use screened topsoil which contains no compost. There is a bit of cow manure but that is less concern to me than peanut shells, lobster bits etc. I have my wheelbarrow, shovel and rake ready to go.
A gardening friend calls this dirt therapy. I think she is on to something. There is a good feeling after all of the hard work of getting the garden ready and watching it grow and flourish.