You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 12:31 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 10:56 am 

My girlfriend has been awesome with DS since he was an infant. She has always asked questions, been happy to learn,listen, believed! She never ever thought allergies would affect her personally.
Well unfortunately she has become a step/allergy mom to a 7 yr old with peanut allergy.

I've shared tips and product info, got her reading A.L. and eating Sunbutter. :lol: I've also shared my allergy stories good and bad...now she has her own story. This Easter was her first not great allergy mom incident. Attending a large gathering for Easter she took along non food Easter bags of goodies for all the kids (colouring books, skipping ropes etc.). Yet at the same table as this little girl my friend sees other kids (some cousins) eating Reece pn Easter treats. She went and told them to move, wash hands, faces and explained how dangerous that was. A family member told my girlfriend basically to back off , it was non of her business what the other kids were eating and this family member ALLOWED her boys to FINGER my girlfriend. :frightened

Not every experience is negative but I know the negative ones do tend to stick with us the longest.

Outgrew eggs, fish, shellfish

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 11:36 am 

:scratchy :dungetit

Glad that your friend has you for support. Sounds like she will need it. What a lucky girl to have your friend as a step-mom. (way too many nasty step-mom memories in my life so I love to hear good ones!) Did the kids have any problem moving or was it just the adult?

Here was my favourite Easter comment - after going over the menu with my mother-in-law, we had to bring safe scalloped potatoes, rolls, pie and ice cream. When I called from the store to see if she cared whether we got white or whole wheat rolls she said "Well, I have some but you won't let me serve them." :banghead Right, silly me, offering to provide safe rolls for everyone so that my child didn't have to remember which was the safe basket. When she first told me where her rolls were from and I said that we NEVER, EVER eat from that store's bakery she was offended as it is her favourite store - and also the store whose product led to anaphylaxis, albeit my error :(

Sadly, my m-i-l is really wonderful but she is suffering memory loss so I have to re-educate her constantly. And then some more.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 12:18 pm 

walooet wrote:
Sadly, my m-i-l is really wonderful but she is suffering memory loss so I have to re-educate her constantly. And then some more.
:rofl My edit is my comment, cause I forgot to put it here before I hit submit. :rofl some more... :roll:

I have thought about this before....what about people that are suffering from memory loss and they have a life threatening allergy? Unforturnately, this will be an issue in the future....unless of course they come up with a cure.

dh-allergy cats, bugspray and guava, outgrew egg allergy

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 2:59 pm 

It will depend on the vigilance of the family. Mil was diabetic. she could eat anything, but in moderation. when her alzheimer's progressed, she was no longer aware of the dietary restrictions she should have been following.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2011 11:01 pm 
Site Admin

Your friend did the right thing and I suspect this mother is just too insensitive to care what happens to anyone beyond herself (well, maybe her sons). :roll:

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb