You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Tue Jul 29, 2014 2:50 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 10:51 am 

Hello,

Just wondering how comfortable people would be with their primary-grade anaphylactic child being in a portable. The portables don't have running water and the students are divided among various classrooms in the main building for the two nutrition breaks. Perhaps some of you have had experience with such a situation?

-Baiba
ds ana egg and sesame
dd ana peanuts

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 12:18 pm 

Super question. Our daughter was in a portable gr. 3 and gr. 5 and although she has no allergies there were kids in both these classes with allergies.

Many times I said to my husband that this would be issue for me. I guess allergic kids go through A LOT of baby wipes to be sure to have clean hands before eating. Even if they went into the school to wash hands first they then would be opening doors again...so their hands would be dirty again. Without running water I also worry these portables don't get the same regular cleaning as the inside classrooms of a school would. I know if it was our son is ever in a portable I'd be making sure the school supplied a lot of disenfectant wipes so the desks etc. could be regularly wiped down.

I'm interested to hear what other parents say about this issue who have had allergic kids in portables. Has communication ever gone down (phone lines) between portables and the office?

Outgrew eggs, fish, shellfish

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 9:16 pm 

Our school has a portapack (group of portables together) which has bathrooms but the classrooms do not have running water. Last year when a new allergic child started at our school, the board extended plumbing to her classroom so that hand washing could take place in the classroom. To me, having a sink in the classroom or nearby down a hall is a necessary part of a safety plan for an allergic child.

If plumbing cannot be extended to a portable then teachers can switch classrooms so that the child's class is in the main building of a school and not a portable. Switching classrooms is no small job for teachers but I would see it as necessary. These types of accommodations happen for children with other disabilities. Children in wheel chairs would not be assigned to an inaccessible portable without easy access to washroom facilities.

Portables are so awful. I only spent one year teaching in one thankfully. I can't believe that parents do not demand better facilities for their children. Portables are incredibly hot in the summer and early fall and often have mold issues. It's hard to believe that we send children off to spend most of their day in buildings like this which have no running water. - That's just my own personal rant!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 12:01 pm 

Thank you both so much for your input, and great to hear about the steps taken at your school, katec. The principal at our school certainly seems willing to hear and address my concerns, so hopefully all will be well. I was beginning to think maybe it was only me ...
-baiba

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 12:22 pm 

baiba wrote:
I was beginning to think maybe it was only me ...
Some people would like you to believe that. Stay on top of things and stay in touch through e-mail following up what has been discussed with people that you've met with. Paper trails are great. :thumbsup

dh-allergy cats, bugspray and guava, outgrew egg allergy

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 3:02 pm 
Site Admin

I too, worry about mold.

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 3:33 pm 

Mold didn't even occur to me. Great point!

Outgrew eggs, fish, shellfish