You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 4:10 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: New Epi-Pen Packaging
PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2005 2:13 pm 

I just picked up a new epi-pen and the new case for it is great. Much sturdier and more protective!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2005 8:14 pm 

I watched my friends kids today who also have anaphylactic allergies. When they come to my house I always check in their bags to know exactly where their allergy, asthma supplies are (even though my kids carry the same doses of epipens,and are already readily accessable). I noticed that my friends daughter had a new epi-pen. The packaging is much sturdier, and they have color-coded lids for those of us who have more than one allergic child...and require different doses. They looked much improved...however, with twin ject being priced similar...I plan on purchasing those next time.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2005 8:14 pm 

Whew! I just got back from the pharmacist who told me that they were out of stock in Epipens (?). From what she was saying it was soundling like they were being discontinued (don't know how dumb she thought I was)... She tried to push me towards the TwinJet instead... Any opinions on the TwinJet vs Epipen? I fortunately haven't had to use my Epipen yet so I don't really have a frame of reference here.

Thanks!

TMcG :?:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2005 8:36 pm 

I have found that a lot of pharmacies here do not carry stock for epi-pens. You need to phone on advance and have one ordered, nut that way you get the best available expiry date. I think that the pharmacies do not want "aging" stock because people prefer long expiry dates.

I planned on purchasing twin ject next, but am reconsidering because I have heard that schools will not administer the second dose because it is a syringe. I'm wondering if I would be more comfortable with just carrying 2 epi-pens/per child, so I would not have to use the syringe either in an emergancy requiring a second dose. My husband sent in a request to his drug plan to cover epi pens and/or twinject and we are waiting to hear back. All epipens we have purchased currently have not been covered. Currently I only carry one dose per child ( one regular, one junior ) but will purchase more prior to our next out of town trip.

Also, I do not want the school to be unfamiliar with twinject, and delay their using it by reading the instructions when they are already familiar with epipen. Does anyone know if it administering it is exactly the same as epi-pen for the first dose?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2005 7:49 am 
Site Admin

We had a demonstration at school with the twin jet. It was a while back and I don't remember all of it but I believe the first injection was quite similar. The second injection turned me off the twinjet. You have to fill the syringe and inject it.
I think I would be too freaked out to be able to do all of that. I feel confident that I could give the EpiPen but not weilding a true syringe with a distraut child!
Our drug plan covers the EpiPen (thank goodness) so we'll stick with that.
I hope that with alternatives on the market, the cost of the EpiPen might eventually come down.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2005 11:07 am 

Whoa - Filling a syringe... I don't really see myself being equipped to do that on the best of days let alone during a crisis!

Thanks for the feedback. I'll be calling around to see who has the epi-pen in stock.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2005 5:55 pm 

Susan, I don't know who was showing it to you, but that doesn't sound like the video I saw on the twinject site. The first shot is very similar to the epi-pen. The second shot is not automatically injected, but you do NOT have to fill the syringe.

My computer is not working very well, and I cannot view it myself right now, but here is a link to twinject site to watch a video teaching how to use it.

http://www.twinject.com/patient/howuse.asp

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2005 6:18 pm 

Thats good that you don't have to actually fill the needle yourself. I'm also assuming here that the prefilled needle must be completely free of air. Does anyone know if that is true?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2005 6:34 pm 

I haven't seen the twinject, but my feeling is that I wouldn't rely on it for a second shot of adrenaline since it sounds more complicated, but would consider it for a third shot. (so instead of carrying 3 epis as I currently do I could carry one epi and one twin ject.)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2006 12:10 pm 

saskmommyof2 wrote:
Thats good that you don't have to actually fill the needle yourself. I'm also assuming here that the prefilled needle must be completely free of air. Does anyone know if that is true?

According to the video you do not have to release air from the needle. I know of a few people on boards that have purchased the twinject - but I don't know any that have used it yet.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2006 12:44 pm 

The Twinjet looks like a mix of the Epipen and the Anakit that was on the market before. The Anakit was a seringe that was made to quickly inject... and if I remember right, there were no instructions for air bubbles. (I have no medical background but I seem to remember from somewhere that air bubbles don't make much damage when injecting intramuscular... but don't trust just my memory on that one...)

I will still carry my 2 Epipens and not go to Twinjet for the moment due to the "seringe factor"... In case of emergency, I don't trust myself to figure out how to inject a seringe... especially since it's going to be a second dose, meaning the first one has done it's time, and the stress level a little higher :shock: .

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2006 3:30 pm 

I spoke with a pharmacist who said that there may be some air in the needle that should be gently pushed out so that no air remains. I am not sure I would be in the frame of mind to gently push out the air, but not push out any of the epinephrine with it. Air bubbles injected into a vein or artery can cause problems, but since it is to be injected intra-muscularly, the likelyhood of hitting a vein/artery is almost zero. However, injecting an air bubble into a muscle, or under the skin can be quite painful.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2006 4:45 pm 
Site Admin

Have e-mailed Twinject to get a response on this question. /Gwen

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2006 2:06 am 
Site Admin

Re air in syringe question - here's the reply from Twinject:

Thank you for your interest in Twinject. In response to your request, there is no air to let out of the syringe. The mechanism is designed and pressurized so that epinephrine is injected without any air. The extra ml of epinephrine left in the cartridge after administration of the second dose prevents any air injection.

These are the steps for administering the second dose:

STEP 3 - PREPARE FOR A SECOND DOSE
1. Unscrew and remove GREY cap. Beware of exposed needle.
2. Holding BLUE hub at needle base, remove syringe from barrel.
3. Slide YELLOW (Twinject 0.3 mg) or ORANGE (Twinject 0.15 mg) collar off plunger.
4. PAUSE HERE. If symptoms have not improved in approximately 10 minutes since first injection, proceed with Step 4.

STEP 4 - INJECT SECOND DOSE
1. Insert needle into mid-thigh.
2. Push plunger down completely.
Get emergency medical help right away

Please do not hesitate to contact us if you need any further assistance.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2006 11:34 am 

Thanks Gwen. :)

Those steps sound more complicated then it looks in the video. (That's true of any written instructions.)