Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Sun Apr 20, 2014 1:55 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 1:02 pm 

http://alberta.ca/acn/201010/29305ABB79 ... D5680.html

Quote:
Stephen Lockwood, Q.C. has an extensive background in financial oversight, corporate governance and human resources, and is the co-CEO and President of Mullen Group Ltd. of Okotoks, Alberta

It's very interesting who serves on what. I am happy that someone from the oilpatch is doing this.
Although it doesn't look like he has a background in safety, I'm sure he'll know the importance of pre-planning.

Michele

dh-allergy cats, bugspray and guava, outgrew egg allergy

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 2:35 pm 

You know, I just felt something rumbling here in Alberta.....emergency safety.......I posted this in October '10, Raj Sherman, emergency doctor and MLA,?? to the health minister,got suspended in November from the pc's http://www.edmontonjournal.com/health/S ... story.html
remember this? the cookie incident? I still see the reporter on tv...love her.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5DxeCK5Ne_Q

Premier Stelmach resigning, http://www.edmontonjournal.com/technolo ... story.html, Horner(voted for motion to for law to protect anaphylactic kids in schools, Hancock former min of health? (not gonna play games with the teacher's union now) and Zwosdesky, met with the Wiggers back in "06?)(Min. of Health former Min. of Ed.)and who knows who else for the pc's running and ??? for the lib's - Swann is supposibly resigning and who there Hugh MacDonald, he brought forward that motion??? Hmmmm Raj Sherman is trying to get all parties together to debate health care - Danielle Smith wildrose says yes, bring it on.....who else. Health care and education biggest $$$$ spent. then snow removal :rofl .....

Michele

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 12:49 pm 

Doug Horner, http://www.assembly.ab.ca/net/index.asp ... rnumber=75
Quote:
was elected to his third term as a Member of the Legislative Assembly for Spruce Grove-Sturgeon-St. Albert on March 3, 2008, and currently serves as Deputy Premier, Minister of Advanced Education and Technology, and Minister Liaison to the Canadian Forces.

During his second term he also served as Minister of Advanced Education and Technology and Minister of Agriculture, Food and Rural Development. Additionally, he served as vice-chair of the Agenda and Priorities Committee and is a member of the Treasury Board and the Cabinet Policy Committee on Managing Growth Pressures.
His father,Dr. Hugh Horner, was a previous minister of agriculture.

and making an anouncement @ 10 am. maybe 11. I am listening to 630 ched. He has to quit his job for he can run for premier of Alberta.
viewtopic.php?f=48&t=5758

It lost with totals: For – 9 Against – 23
23 against basic strategies to keep students safe!

For the motion:Anderson wr, Hayden pc, MacDonald lib, Calahasen pc, Horner pc, Pastoor lib, Chase lib, Lindsay pc and Taft lib.
Against the motion:Amery, Fritz, McFarland, Bhullar, Horne, Olson, Campbell, Jablonski, Prins,Dallas, Jacobs, Quest, Danyluk, Knight, Rodney, Denis, Leskiw, VanderBurg, Doerksen, Lukaszuk, Vandermeer, Elniski and Marz.

23 against. all pc's

You would think this guy "gets it". :popcorn

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 2:41 pm 

http://www.edmontonsun.com/news/alberta ... 53836.html
Quote:
"We need to build on the solid foundation that we have," Horner said at a press conference. "Alberta is changing and we as a party need to realize that change."

my comment-Now that he's just my mla, maybe he'd bring forward a motion to help protect Alberta children in school, you might remember, motion 504 backon March 15, 2010..4 pc's in favour including Horner and 23 against? Hope he leads on this issue. Come chat on the Allergic Living website, about this and food labelling (beer in particular according to Federal pc's).

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 5:02 pm 

Well, there is yet another political party in Alberta....called the Alberta Party. Led by Sue Huff. I believe she was a trustee a while ago for the Edmonton School Board. More choices. Busy, busy here in Alberta.

Michele

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 6:37 pm 
Site Admin

:thumbsup YGG

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 1:33 pm 

http://cnews.canoe.ca/CNEWS/Politics/20 ... 02021.html

Quote:
EDMONTON — Premier Ed Stelmach and members of his cabinet have hit the pavement on a province-wide tour, a week after his surprise announcement to step down as Tory leader in September.

Quote:
During the next two weeks, members of cabinet will meet with local Chambers of Commerce, Rotary Clubs, business organizations, community leaders and the general public to hear what's on the minds of Albertans.

I must find out when they are near me. :thumbsup Day 2 was yesterday in Calary.

Susan, what's ygg? I asked my kids :scratchy My DS who is going to be a pilot has his own ideas :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 2:55 pm 
Site Admin

You Go Girl!

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 2:56 pm 

That's what I figured. So, this tour is more "business" than "community".....the last one being more community....so I missed it. It is very hard to "get in the loop" as they say. Sent a couple of emails and then followed up with a call. got this
Monday, Feb. 7:
Calgary, Airdrie

Tuesday, Feb. 8:
Edmonton
Leduc

Wednesday, Feb. 9:
Red Deer
Sylvan Lake
Innisfail
Olds
Sundre
Rocky Mountain House
Stettler
Wetaskiwin
Camrose
Ponoka
Lacombe

Thursday, Feb. 10:
Grande Prairie
Drayton Valley

Tuesday, Feb. 15:
Fort McMurray
Bonnyville
Cold Lake

Wednesday, Feb. 16:
Sherwood Park
Fort Saskatchewan
St. Albert
Spruce Grove

Thursday, Feb. 17:
Medicine Hat
Lethbridge
Fort MacLeod
Taber

getting better. only missed half Nobody really knows who is going to be where, except for which city or town. Your best bet is to call your city council or chamber of commerce to get places and times. Spruce Grove is 4 pm at city hall. I touched base with Doug Horner's office here....I'm glad I did...she thought I was happy with what we got when Anaphlylaxis Canada came to Spruce Grove's Catholic School down the road to lauch the e-module. I was happy....just not happy enough. I am working now on a letter to the mla's to show the differences in the policy's across Alberta.....still.

Okey this is edit - http://alberta.ca/home/1368.cfm I went here and apparently they are meeting with school trustees as well.
Quote:
In Airdrie, the Premier and a smaller group of Ministers had a wide-ranging, two-hour discussion with members of the Chamber of Commerce, city councilors and school trustees.
http://alberta.ca/blog/home.cfm/2011/2/ ... 1--Calgary

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 1:53 pm 

http://www.630ched.com/Channels/Reg/New ... ID=1366792
Quote:
Weatherill was given a $1.5 million severance, on top of her $2 million pension. And now she is one of five new members appointed to the AHS board by Health Minister Gene Zwozdesky. AHS board members are paid an honorarium of $50,000, but Weatherill is waiving hers.

:verymad let go less that 3 years ago and now this.....well, no kidding she's waiving 50 thousand, that's a drop in her big bucket.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 11:04 pm 

http://www.calgaryherald.com/news/Unite ... story.html
Quote:
Politics sometimes makes for strange bedfellows - but what we saw at the Alberta legislature Friday morning was a veritable political orgy.
For anyone who met Dr. Raj Sherman MLA at the AC conference back in '09.
This is looking to get very interesting....

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 11:41 pm 

Whew, I'm exhausted just reading some of this! I'm quietly observing these politics, but I have no idea which party to support - except that the current government has to be gone! I have to say that I think there is something just a bit off about Raj Sherman. I can't put my finger on it. I was at that Edmonton conference, and I got the impression he was politicking with us. His presentation was my least favourite. When he burst back onto the scene, I appreciated his taking a stance, but he has since performed very poorly. He seems to spew out random "facts" about health care, and then never seems to be able to back them up. He may be a doctor, but he seems to be shunned by the physician community. The current love-in looks to me like a group of parasites feeding off of the rotting PC's. They'll say anything to get themselves into power, and the general public believes that Sherman is a scapegoat - and he's riding it for all it's worth.

Zwoz, on the other hand, seems like a cool cat. I believe he's trying. Danielle Smith has announced she will be running in my riding, so I will be seeing alot more of her. She may be up against Ted Morton (his riding is gone, he has to "pick" one to run in still)... could get interesting.

All I know right now, is that Alberta is supposedly the richest province in Canada. And yet our health care and education is deplorable. But let's keep all those oil companies rich and happy! Let's make sure all the rig workers make a fortune, while our teachers and nurses (and doctors ... who are facing cuts) continue to be expected to work more for less. (Can you tell my dh and I have no connection to the oil patch? A rare find in this province... meanwhile his whole family is off in Hawaii living it up. They're oil execs. Yes, we're jealous. But they were up all night due to the tsunami sirens. 8) )

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 12:17 pm 

Listening to Dave Rutherford today...Dave Hancock was on. He is the House Leader & Minister of Education http://www.assembly.ab.ca/net/index.asp ... rnumber=42 I guess today he was speaking as House Leader discussing the "emotional issues" surrounding land rights. He didn't take any calls....as a matter of fact, I haven't heard him take any calls since he took mine back before I joined up with this forum. I only got a few seconds in but I did get in my name, Parkland School Division and my opinion that anaphylaxis was not being handled very well here. That was while I was waiting for something to be done.... :popcorn I ate a lot of popcorn that year.

I wonder when that new school act is coming? I am having a hard time getting involved in the federal election and way more interested in the provincial one here....which is good cause education and health issues are a provincial matter....

On the federal note,I did get a call (recorded) from Rona Ambrose http://pm.gc.ca/eng/bio.asp?id=47
(federal pc member of parlament) last nite warning me that tonite I will get a call @ 7 pm for a "town hall meeting" via phone...I guess this is a new communication thing...anyone else get one of these before?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 4:41 pm 

Bill 18 tabled this is the new Alberta School Act which will now be known as the Alberta Education Act in the Alberta Leg. yesterday. http://www.assembly.ab.ca/ISYS/LADDAR_f ... 01_han.pdf

http://www.assembly.ab.ca/ISYS/LADDAR_f ... ll-018.pdf

cross ref. posting.php?mode=reply&f=48&t=6461

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 1:14 pm 

I find this very interesting as I worked in the pipeline industry for years a long time ago. I wonder why it went unnoticed for so long, and who discovered it.

http://www.calgaryherald.com/news/Probe ... drop_story
Quote:
NDP environment critic Rachel Notley is calling for an investigation.

"When a community is saying: 'My kids are coughing, my eyes are red, people are dizzy and have headaches,' they shouldn't have to wait six days for someone to respond to that -election or no election," she said, referring to Monday's federal vote.

"Either we have a profound inability to deal with any kind of environmental or public health emergency in this province or the concerns about the information coming out before the election had some impact," said Notley.

Quote:
Brian Alexander, principal of Little Buffalo School on the nearby Lubicon Cree First Nation, said children and staff in the school began to experience headaches, nausea and dizziness on Friday, but it wasn't until three days later that he found out by chance there was a massive oil spill in the area. He said he initially thought the odour was caused by a propane leak in the building, but sending the students outside didn't help.

He took offence to claims by the Energy Resources Conservation Board (ERCB) that the hydrocarbons released by the spill are not a health risk and not the cause of the illness at his school.

"Nobody is taking ownership," Alexander said. "No one is talking to us and there are no plans to evacuate us. We're sitting here waiting for answers."

Read more: http://www.calgaryherald.com/news/Probe ... z1LV0CoE6q