You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Fri Jul 25, 2014 5:09 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 7:45 pm 

Well I really thought I had thought of everything but apparently I don't think like a curious 3 yr old boy. Dd has wanted pea soup for months, that big can of I think it's called Habitat. Well the can is so big that I told her she could take it in her thermos to school for lunch if she ate some this morning as well so there was no left overs as I didn't want to put it in the fridge. So that goes fine, I lysol the counter just in case. I think I'm home free. Then while we are upstairs I hear our daughter's toothbrush go on as I'm walking towards the bathroom door, in the 10 seconds ds is in the bathroom he is on the stool where he washes his hands and has drops DD's toothbrush into the sink. The fact that it is an electric toothbrush must have been just too good of a thing to over look and he was tempted enough to try it.
Well instant ana reaction, hives rash all around his mouth and he is grabbing his tongue, he is now making an awful noise and clearly is swelling and can't breathe. Epi does the trick so well that by the time I'm on the phone with 911 the operator knows he's breathing as all he can hear is our son sobbing 'you poke me, mommy poke hole in me'. :?

He slept the entire way in the ambulance and then didn't move for about 5 hours of our 6 hours stay. He did get some facial rash over one 1/2 of his face which started about 2 hours after epi. but other than that he was awesome. The part that felt good is the paramedics, the admitting nurse and the dr. all re-enforced I did the right thing in using the epi!
I'm tired and have a lot more grey hair.

Outgrew eggs, fish, shellfish

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 8:42 pm 

:frightened poor little guy :( I never thought of toothbrushes causing problems. I'm glad he is ok though :huggy

Allergic to: Tree nuts, percocet, toradol, environmental allergies and chemical allergies
Migraines caused by scented products, barometric pressure

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 8:55 pm 

Oh my gosh!! :frightened Good thing you knew EXACTLY what to do! Thank goodness for the Epipen. I hope your son (and you!) are okay soon. You are always very cautious, but it's impossible to anticipate every possible event, so that's why we have the Epi. :huggy to you and your son.

12 yr old son: allergic to peanuts, tree nuts, eggs, fish, sesame, sunflower, mustard, poppy seeds, green peas, some fruits, instructed to avoid all other legumes (except soy & green beans), pollen, cats, horses

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 11:11 pm 
Site Admin

:huggy Glad you acted so quickly and that he's OK.

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 11:56 pm 

Oh how scary!! I'm glad he's ok!! Hugs to you!

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 12:59 am 

:huggy I'm so glad everything is ok. Just when you think you've thought of it all, you get surprised. Who would have thought? Those toothbrushes are so tempting. Make sure you all get some relax time these next few days...these things take a lot out of everyone.

dh-allergy cats, bugspray and guava, outgrew egg allergy

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 7:16 am 

Daddy went out and bought a spider man 'electric' toothbrush for DS. He eats oatmeal last night then all excitedly asks if he can go brush his teeth. :freak :roll:
A friend did show up at the door last night and the second ds sees him he is going on and on all defiant 'mommy poke me, she POKE me'. Hey, at least I don't think he'll EVER be tempted to play with his epi while wearing it. And for a plus...one, he is ok...and also he will start to have more of an understanding now at this age when talk about allergies, needing his special medicine...i mean it!!!

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 8:48 am 

:huggy

What a good mom! You were so quick in assessing his need and giving the epi. Great that the paramedics and ER staff let you know that you did well in giving the epi - they must see too many cases where it wasn't given quickly.

:lol: His "mommy poke me" is funny yet I imagine difficult knowing you helped him but he is upset with you.

:huggy An extra special Mother's Day is in order for you!

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 9:29 am 

Thanks everyone. :huggy
Walooet you are so right. The admitting RN said it was crazy how many parents come in holding their epipen not sure if they should use it. So if you feel you need to go to the hospital...USE the epi!!!

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 2:29 pm 

:huggy again to you BC2007. I hope you and your son are recovering and somewhat back to a normal. It takes a lot out of you. We've needed to use the Epi 3 times with our son, and we try to make the next day a very normal day, going about normal everyday things, and reinforcing that we did the right thing by giving the Epi and then going to the hospital. We use the term "hanging out at the hospital" because our son seems to respond better to a more casual tone. Everyone has to determine their own, and childs needs when it comes to receiving the Epi followed by a visit to the hospital. We tell our son that there is no other place more important that we need to be than the hospital after an allergic reaction. However, he's 9 now, so we can converse about these thing. It depends on the stage your child is at.

I'm reading through the posts, and it just occurred to me... what did you think of the new Epipen??? You now have a real life experience. Because there was a recent post about the new style Epipen being quite different from the old style, would you mind sharing your opinion. Thanks so much.

12 yr old son: allergic to peanuts, tree nuts, eggs, fish, sesame, sunflower, mustard, poppy seeds, green peas, some fruits, instructed to avoid all other legumes (except soy & green beans), pollen, cats, horses

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 6:46 pm 

I actually in that mili second thought of those posts at the exact moment I held the epi in my hand so I extra firmly gripped pushing it against his leg as I counted to 10. I had no problems with it springing back but that is probably thanks to those other parents giving the heads up so I knew to have a really good grip.

Paramedics were asking me questions on the way, came up about when to use the epi. I said what my guidelines were from our allergist and they told me that is exactly the same definition they are given to use. Rash hives alone are one system, no epi. - but if any other system included with rash /hives use epi. . If breathing or any other obvious trauma is presenting even if just one system use the epi...

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 7:26 pm 

Thank you. Glad to hear you were well prepared for the new Epi spring-back feature. Thanks for sharing that aspect of your experience.

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2011 1:14 am 

Wow, scary, BC. Glad everything went OK and you had a good experience with the EMT and ER drs.

Thanks for sharing about the spring back cover, too. I think I'll have to make sure the school nurse emphasizes that point in the next training.

I've worried about toothbrushes, too, which is why we decided just not to have nuts/peanuts in our house at all, and I rarely ever eat them even out of the house. It's just too much to think about and therefore not really worth it!

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2011 6:09 pm 
Site Admin

I think this is one of those thing where he's getting bigger and more capable of getting into things.

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2011 8:57 pm 

Just when you get em figured, they go and change. I remember when the kids were little, dh was gone sometimes for weeks at a time and he'd come home & everything would have changed.....it sure keeps a parent on their toes and sometimes scary...but sure is worth it all! We have teenagers and it still seems the same (everchanging) now....I'm so glad you guys are ok. You're beginning to feel like family. :huggy

dh-allergy cats, bugspray and guava, outgrew egg allergy